Eric Duncan

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

I don't know if I've ever been more disappointed walking out of an MCU film.

Tonal whiplash. Jokes run six feet into the ground. Forgettable action. Maybe the weakest music ever attributed to Michael Giacchino. Barely constructed plot. A lack of cohesion on most levels.

Which isn't to say there weren't strengths. Christian Bale was expectedly aces. I didn't like the possession angle, but thought his arc wrapped beautifully. Natalie Portman was a welcome return, but I was hoping she would be more involved with the film's comedy instead of being saddled with cancer. I understand that's the source material that was being drawn from, it just doesn't mesh with screaming goats and Crowe as Zeus talking about orgies.

The main problem for me is the tonal whiplash. It was unbearable. Took me out of the entire experience. I don't think this movie ever found it's identity. Never figure out what it wanted to be.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

This movie had a lot of dumb stuff, but as some who went through cancer treatment, the absolute dumbest thing is a Stage 4 patient doing Chemo yet losing no hair and able to eat Cheetos and snacks. Even in the Jason Aaron run, she was more fragile

Didn't know the proper forum reaction to this, so going to say additionally I hope you're doing better now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Didn't know the proper forum reaction to this, so going to say additionally I hope you're doing better now.

❤️ Thank you. It was last year, so I'm all good in remission now. Just makes me laugh seeing cancer things in movies and TV and how often they get it completely wrong 🤣

• Like 5

Here as I wake up thinking about this movie, I'm still dumbfounded that Jane's first scene back in Thor is her cracking wise and making references to Event fucking Horizon while getting Chemo.

Just one of the most mind-boggling choices I've ever seen and set the (wrong) tone right out the gate.  I think it rebounded pretty well and ended MUCH stronger than it started. Though that's probably because that first 3rd was a mess.

16 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

People shocked, shocked that the guy who made a comedy set during the Holocaust had a character with cancer try be funny

I'm not shocked he did it, I'm shocked he did it so poorly.  I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it, just that his handling of it was, in my opinion, very poor.

The problem isn’t that Jane is being funny while in chemo, I mean lots of people use humor to mask or get through their sadness. It’s just so slap dash and rushed.. we barely even get to adjust to the fact that she has cancer before it jumps to another scene and then she’s suddenly in New Asgard picking up the hammer. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm just going to say one thing: Thor without Loki doesn't work. Their dynamic as brothers, foes, both always held the movies together, even DW. There's nothing to hold L&T together. 

That's just a failure of execution, there's no reason you can't write a good solo Thor story without Loki. He was compelling and extremely popular in IW and while some didn't like his Endgame arc, that landed well for most of the audience as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

That's just a failure of execution, there's no reason you can't write a good solo Thor story without Loki. He was compelling and extremely popular in IW and while some didn't like his Endgame arc, that landed well for most of the audience as well. 

yes, he was a part of a larger whole, but he didn't carry the whole. It's similar to Strange being more effective as a supporting character than lead. Thor works in teams that don't have Loki in team-up movies, but in Thor movies, his dynamic with Loki is the strongest part cause they are like mirror images. There's a reason why they work so well and there's no other dynamic to replace it.

Thor is a soap opera/Shakespearan drama in its heart which is why these adopted siblings make it work. remove family element and you lose a lot.

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

Speaking of Endgame, I remember when it came out a loooot of fans were mad about Thor's character in that film and claimed the Russo's destroyed Taika's Thor lol it just shows how fans are very quick to forget anything more than 2 years in the past. Like I'm sure we're this close to the revisionist Dark World takes. 

I got a bit of mood whiplash from this movie, considering the fairly serious way it opened, but as a whole, I can’t say I feel strongly about the comedy one way or the other. The humor in these movies all sort of blend together for me at this point. GotG was novel for its time, but now it just feels like the norm. 

Maybe that’s a problem people are having with Phase Four in general. We know how this franchise works, so there aren’t many surprises left. NWH had the novelty and the nostalgia factor going for it, but beyond that, I’m not sure what there is left. 

Pretty mindboggling movie I must say with many bizarre narrative choices, the two worst of which are 1. Introducing this super powerful "Eternity" thing in a throwaway line 2/3rds of the way into the movie and 2. Making the entire ending predicated on a little girl we had zero connection with whatsoever? Also the humor mostly sucks and the movie is ugly as sin. Bale and Crowe great and the final dramatic beat with Portman/Hemsworth is good too. Hemsworth line delivery consistently pretty funny though tbh he's gone from "somewhat dopey badass" to "complete moron" over the course of the MCU, Jack Sparrow style.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Pretty mindboggling movie I must say with many bizarre narrative choices, the two worst of which are 1. Introducing this super powerful "Eternity" thing in a throwaway line 2/3rds of the way into the movie and 2. Making the entire ending predicated on a little girl we had zero connection with whatsoever? Also the humor mostly sucks and the movie is ugly as sin. Bale and Crowe great and the final dramatic beat with Portman/Hemsworth is good too. Hemsworth line delivery consistently pretty funny though tbh he's gone from "somewhat dopey badass" to "complete moron" over the course of the MCU, Jack Sparrow style.

Right? I thought Bale was just kidnapping the kids to lure and kill Thor lol

• Like 2

i didn't like ragnarok because making a comedy out of the darkest thor comic is a sin.

but this is another level i would say that every scene has multiple jokes like why the hell would you make such terrible jokes when you are talking about cancer. As the other user said this feels like it has no script just a bunch of improv every single time it's not funny.

marvel really has made every single phase 4 movie have the same ending like are we really fighting bad guys? they always turn good in the end so whats the fucking point.

Taika is just a Gunn wannabe

Edited by AnDr3s

16 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

People shocked, shocked that the guy who made a comedy set during the Holocaust had a character with cancer be funny

Nobody is shocked and the issue isn’t humor, itself. 5050 and Terms of Endearment tackled cancer with humor, it’s how witless and sloppy it is. Jane is a genius but doesn’t know Stage 4 cancer is the final stage? This isn’t funny.

its the Taika thing when he tackles serious matters with the most basic and infantile perspective. So twee. If anyone had Stage 4, they wouldn’t have their hair in chemo, for example. The movie ends with a “Choose Love” rationale. It just feels like an injustice to the Jason Aaron storyline. 

• Like 1