The Wild Eric

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

If that EC number holds, it'll be at around 144.5M OW DOM. Just short.

Do we know if the Canada internet outages shorted any automatic reporting?   Its intresting to me because its clsoe ot being "MCU has the top to OW of the summer"

6 hours ago, Legion and Thunder said:
6 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

$32.8m for Thor (+1.4 vs ests, 144.4)

$13.9m for Minions (+0.36 vs ests, 45.9)

$4.75m for TG2 (flat ests, 15.5)

$3.6m for Elvis (+.3 ests, 11.3)

@grey ghost

edit: oops you were asking for JWD i saw 143 annd thought you referencing studio est for Thormy bad 

Edited by Borf the Borf

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

JWD made 143m, didn't it?

Interestingly enough, $143 was also the Sunday estimated for JWD - but it came up to just over $145 with a actuals. Thor appears to be coming up just short of that 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Worse F-S-Su than JWD but no tentpoles releasing for another couple months so Thor should end up around the same DOM total that Dominion ends up at

I assume, at least early on, it'll have better weekdays than JWD. This week for sure I'd assume but that might continue through it's run. Better weekdays (outside of when it was holiday for JWD) but worse weekends.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I assume, at least early on, it'll have better weekdays than JWD. This week for sure I'd assume but that might continue through it's run. Better weekdays (outside of when it was holiday for JWD) but worse weekends.

Thor should have better weekdays relative to the Sat gross, but since that starting point is $42 vs $47, it should mostly even out, and won’t have the bonus days of Father’s Day and Independence week to boost numbers. 

JWD is on track to finish around $370, Thor is unlikely to get there (I have $350-$360, others are lower)

17 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Worse F-S-Su than JWD but no tentpoles releasing for another couple months so Thor should end up around the same DOM total that Dominion ends up at

Unless WOM is toxic enough that it colapses.

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Thor should have better weekdays relative to the Sat gross, but since that starting point is $42 vs $47, it should mostly even out, and won’t have the bonus days of Father’s Day and Independence week to boost numbers. 

JWD is on track to finish around $370, Thor is unlikely to get there (I have $350-$360, others are lower)

How much do you think Minions 2 will end up domestically by end of its run? 

24 minutes ago, WayneBorg said:

How much do you think Minions 2 will end up domestically by end of its run? 

For DM3 (which I think is a better comp than original Minions), it made $98M following a $33.6 second weekend (2.9x). If Rise of Gru follows suit, would add another $130-$135M for a ~$335 finish, but weekdays are softer post-pandemic, so maybe knock $10M off from that total. (If it does play like Minions, then only $110M more for $320, again knocking of ~$10M)

While final values have uncertainty, the order of finish for summer is pretty much set after this weekend 

1. TGM ($700M+)

2. DSMoM ($413M)

3. JWD (~$370M)

4. Thor L&T ($340-$360M)

5. Minions 2 ($310-$330M)

Edited by M37
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, The Panda said:

Have any of the kids on these forums seen real kids superhero classics like

Underdog?

spy kids 2: island of lost dreams??

Cats and Dogs????

Sky High????? 

All 4 yes, I even saw Kitty Galore in theaters.

The underdog rap, straight fire but then Kyle Massey happened.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Xavier said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/thor-love-and-thunder-is-more-proof-marvel-needs-a-phase-4-goal-fast

This IGN article which a fellow member mentioned a few pages ago is very true. There is no....endgame (sorry) in sight for Phase 4. Is it perhaps the schedule reshuffling because of the pandemic? After so many shows and movies, there is no clear plotline.

I blame the clear downturn of Phase 4 on three factors:

- absence of a compelling plotline

- no new characters in the vein of Ironman and Cap, which were very compelling

- deluge of content, fragmentation and generic-ness.

Perhaps Black Panther 2 will change that, because it will once again have the support of black audiences, like it happened with the first one, which was a cultural event (although the last act was horrible).

It is safe to say that the massive  (and, at least for me, inexplicable) good will (and critic- proofness) amassed for the MCU is being trimmed down and the MCU as a whole seems to have lost its plot armor.

Exciting times 🙂

While I agree Phase 4 is facing an obvious backlash, I am not sure it's fair to point to the first two factors you mantion.

Compelling plotline: phase 1 didn't have it either. With phase 4 they are just following the same formula, with hints of what to expect (multiverse chaos, young avengers).

Compelling characters: Spiderman and Strange are already quite compelling, IMHO. DS2 may have disappointed as a movie, but the character still has a huge potential, and he will be crucial. Anyways, Cap's first movie was not an indicative of the great character we then enjoyed, and IM2 disappointed even more than DS2.

The deluge of content is the main problem for the MCU. It's hard to work well with so many titles at the same time. And even more dificult with a global pandemic scenario. In the end, series like Hawkeye, What if and Falcon feel unnecesary and other titles (Eternals and Moon Knight) feel disjointed.

Phase 4 would be pretty great with just this:

WandaVision - Shang Chi - Loki - NWH - DS2 - Miss Marvel - Thor L&T

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, M37 said:

For DM3 (which I think is a better comp than original Minions), it made $98M following a $33.6 second weekend (2.9x). If Rise of Gru follows suit, would add another $130-$135M for a ~$335 finish, but weekdays are softer post-pandemic, so maybe knock $10M off from that total. (If it does play like Minions, then only $110M more for $320, again knocking of ~$10M)

While final values have uncertainty, the order of finish for summer is pretty much set after this weekend 

1. TGM

2. DSMoM

3. JWD

4. Thor L&T

5. Minions 2

DM3 I think made 115m following a 33.6m second weekend, no? Cuz it ended with 264M. so a x3.43 from its second weekend..

13 minutes ago, M37 said:

1. TGM ($700M+)

2. DSMoM ($413M)

3. JWD (~$370M)

4. Thor L&T ($340-$360M)

5. Minions 2 ($310-$330M)

5 movies confortably over 300M, one of them possibly reaching top5 DOM. Solid runs this Summer!

The problem is the void besides these 5 films. Only other 4 movies will gross over 100M (Lightyear, Elvis, Nope, Bullet Train).

8 minutes ago, WayneBorg said:

DM3 I think made 115m following a 33.6m second weekend, no? Cuz it ended with 264M. so a x3.43 from its second weekend..

Yes you’re correct (trying to do this math switching between tabs on my phone). That seems way too high then, though it did hold fairly well in week 2 given competition from Thor. So there is a chance Minions 2 slides into the 4th slot, prob need one more weekend to really set the pace for rest of its run 

• Like 1