Eric the IF

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

Summer movie season ended way too quickly this year for sure. Covid related VFX and post production issues really hurting releases. TGM and Minions holding on to theatrical exclusivity really helped this summer season.

The big movies on the horizon, Nope and Bullet Train would normally be counter programming to a bigger movie rather than being the focus of the weekend themselves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

amateur. two screenings a day will get you past that. :P

that sounds dangerous, I might start believing I live on Pandora and the my real life is the 'film'

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

that sounds dangerous, I might start believing I live on Pandora and the my real life is the 'film'

No worrys it can be funny. I live in a Jurassic World since 2015 and i dont see any difference in real life. Especially on television and political debates, theres dinosaurs everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Summer movie season ended way too quickly this year for sure. Covid related VFX and post production issues really hurting releases. TGM and Minions holding on to theatrical exclusivity really helped this summer season.

The big movies on the horizon, Nope and Bullet Train would normally be counter programming to a bigger movie rather than being the focus of the weekend themselves.

It does feel ironic that the two movies that are looking to be the biggest success stories of the summer are the last of the Summer 2020 tentpoles to finally see the light of day.

The rest of the summer is mostly going to rely on movies aimed at underserved audiences. Crawdads has both the massive book fan base + being the only movie mostly targeting older women this whole summer going for it. Super-Pets should be fine as the last family movie of the summer and no competition until October. Beast shouldn't have much difficulty matching Candyman's performance from last year. 

49 minutes ago, grim22 said:

not to mention Universal is desperate to throw JwD, Black Phone, and probably Minions on streaming as quickly as possible despite having a barren rest of summer available to play in 

TOP GUN: MAVERICK HIGHWAY TO $700M DAY 44

BLACK PANTHER: $55m ahead

TOP GUN 2 GAIN: +$2.1m

CURRENT SEA LEVEL: $644.9m

LOCK ON BOGEY: $669.17m

AVERAGE (LAST 17 DAYS): $680.28m (-0.10% YD)

TOP GUN: MAVERICK HIGHWAY TO $700M DAY 45

BLACK PANTHER: $53.5m ahead

TOP GUN 2 GAIN: +$1.5m

CURRENT SEA LEVEL: $646.5m

LOCK ON BOGEY: $672.6m

AVERAGE (LAST 18 DAYS): $679.85m (-0.07% YD)

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Damn lightyear might not even get to $120 million dom. Sad shit tbh

LY under Good Dinosar DOM, even though LY has massive inflation on its side. Audience completely rejected the spaceman or everybody is waiting for it on D+. Epic floppage.

26 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I can now place my Nostradamus cap back on my head after having it ripped away last weekend.  Feels good to get back on the "right" train vs the "wrong" one...

Don't think I'm gonna try to sway the board too hard on anything else this summer - Maverick's gonna win, so I can just enjoy that one's final legs...

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Good point that TGM benefitted further by being finished for a long time prior-to-Covid, without any of the stresses contained therein.  But of course QUALITY is still the determiner.  Once again TGM shows how to do it right...minimal reliance on CG work, a simple story communicable across cultures, charismatic leads, a wonderful third act.  My only critiques are that the romance is too chaste!