grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

Remember When The Expendables came out and everybody rushed out to see it opening weekend because they thought that sly Arnold and Bruce were going to be in the film together? And then it turns out that three of them had a little 5-minute back and forth together and that pissed people off and the legs on The Expendables we're not that great. The Expendables is a microfilm compared to Thor but maybe that is what happened with love and thunder. People were expecting the cameos to be actual starring roles in the movie. I haven't seen the film but that's just what I'm speculating

4 minutes ago, Doffy said:

300m+ in all of his mcu carrer.

Well that's what it says publicly LOL I can tell you it's way more.

All I can tell you is that from the guy that I used to know here, who is no longer here anymore, the money that is released publicly or depressed is nothing what really goes on behind the closed doors. Like the amount that he told me that Harrison Ford actually made for the force awakens almost made me faint.

2 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Those are terrible expectations. Just because you were bad at predicting, doesn't mean that it's a disaster if the film doesn't meet those expectations. Minions grossed more than Ragnarok, so expecting 250m difference is sheer lunacy. The two films are going to end up in the same range, so you can't call one a major hit and the other a disaster based on where the franchises are. Minions is a huge success domestically, Thor is a mild one. No disasters here.

Well, I think you can be disappointed that a movie with a production budget of $250M is gonna make less money DOM than a movie with a production budget of $80M...

41 minutes ago, Doffy said:

Same can be applied to IM3 but it grossed 400m+ and 1b+ without china in 2013.

I have got 2 words for you. 3D and Exchange Rates.

I've to check data, but safe to assume that DSitMoM is watched by more people internationally than Iron Man 3 excluding China and Russia.

Edit: Realised the convo was abt Thor 4, not DSitMoM. So mostly ignore the above. BUT I think ideally Thor 4 should have done those DSitMoM numbers atleast. DSitMoM should have done probably 20% better.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, I think you can be disappointed that a movie with a production budget of $250M is gonna make less money DOM than a movie with a production budget of $80M...

But I think his point is, minions and despicable me has always been a more popular series of movies and Thor is. So just because Marvel spent $250 million dollars on the movie doesn't automatically mean it was going to increase significantly or at all from the last one. That was a misstep on their part. Would you agree with that?

RagRok had the Hulk in it as well. Again I haven't seen love and thunder but apparently the Guardians of the Galaxy had a very small role in it where as the Hulk had a significant role in the last one and maybe that's why it grossed significantly more than the other two movies did. I'm just spitballing here.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I've to check data, but safe to assume that DSitMoM is watched by more people internationally than Iron Man 3 excluding China and Russia.

IM3 made more than 800 million dollars internationally and mouth of madness I think is at what 550? I wouldn't say more people have seen mouth of madness internationally then Iron man 3.

Edited by baumer

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

If Thor  Love and Thunder barely passes 700m like is looking likely then that is not good any way you slice it considering. The 250m budget not including marketing and the fact this movie is following Ragnarok, IW, and Endgame. 

I don't think anyone including dark Alfred is saying it's good he's just saying it's not a disaster that's all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

But I think his point is, minions and despicable me has always been a more popular series of movies and Thor is. So just because Marvel spent $250 million dollars on the movie doesn't automatically mean it was going to increase significantly or at all from the last one. That was a misstep on their part. Would you agree with that?

RagRok had the Hulk in it as well. Again I haven't seen love and thunder but apparently the Guardians of the Galaxy had a very small role in it where as the Hulk had a significant role in the last one and maybe that's why it grossed significantly more than the other two movies did. I'm just spitballing here.

But families have not come back to movies in full, so for Minions to be the movie that turned out teens/young adults to support an animated movie when it's #5 in the series is an amazing achievement.  Pixar couldn't do that this summer, and they used to be the king of non-kid turnout.

That's why folks (other than budget) are looking at the 2 movies differently.  MCU has a huge floor (see Eternals DOM numbers for what it is), so you can release absolute unmitigated garbage and be guaranteed almost $200M in the current DOM environment (that can always change, but it hasn't QUITE yet).  So, Thor gets compared to its other MCU brethren and not just his own (very old) movies.  And for that, it's okay...but it's not a "success".  It's gonna end up in the "fine" category for box office - nothing to be sad about, but nothing to be happy about, either.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

IM3 made more than 800 million dollars internationally and melted madness I think is at what 550? I wouldn't say more people have seen mouth of madness internationally then Iron man 3.

that 550 is par/likely better than OS-China-Russia i.e. around $645M.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

But if you go back and read what dark Alfred is saying, he's not saying it's a success. He's just simply saying it's not an unmitigated disaster.

@TwoMisfits

But is anyone saying "unmitigated disaster" except him?  People are disappointed, people say it isn't great, but no one is saying this is Marvel's Lightyear.  At most, people are saying it's not a good result...and to be fair, I'm sure that's what Disney is saying behind the scenes, too, b/c after Lightyear, I'm sure they were REALLY hoping for a big win...

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, baumer said:

Remember When The Expendables came out and everybody rushed out to see it opening weekend because they thought that sly Arnold and Bruce were going to be in the film together? And then it turns out that three of them had a little 5-minute back and forth together and that pissed people off and the legs on The Expendables we're not that great. The Expendables is a microfilm compared to Thor but maybe that is what happened with love and thunder. People were expecting the cameos to be actual starring roles in the movie. I haven't seen the film but that's just what I'm speculating

I'd say no to this. I liked TLT a good deal but it's easy to see why it's legs are that of a very much mixed superhero movie... Mixed for those are even tougher when mixed because of how frontloaded most/all sequels to big superhero movies start out to begin with.

I think most that didn't like it so much don't think it really needed to add more but just do better with the players already there. Gorr is great fun to watch. Bale is awesome. Should've done more with him. He gets some nice screentime though for sure. Portman gets a ton of screentime. Those are the two big ones added into it. Even Crowe gets chew up an entire long scene. I think what you're saying applies more to Strange 2 than Thor 4. People definitely expected it to be more than the Strange and Wanda show.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cannastop said:

Sorry guys, going to the movies is an elitist experience. Pack it up

Giving my 2 cents on this controversy: I think he is right in the context of the theatrical vs streaming discussion. Treating theaters as a sacred place and opposing movies made for streaming is indeed elitist, because it limits what is made and which filmmakers get funded. Netflix and the competition that followed them have opened the door for many new people and saved several genres of movies that were being neglected by the traditional studios. The investments Netflix made on international productions is revolutionary to the movie industries of many foreign countries. And that was only possible because of the digital distribution. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Legion and Thunder said:

So first wk cume 187 and change, true Oweek 158.3. 1.9x multi takes to 330.   

Wknd look 45ish, say cume of 232.x — 88M 4-10, 1.9 multi gives 311.    

Probably gonna avoid the disaster bar of rag nominal, though still pretty bad performance.

Post that kicked this off (emphasis new)

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Edit: Realised the convo was abt Thor 4, not DSitMoM. So mostly ignore the above. BUT I think ideally Thor 4 should have done those DSitMoM numbers atleast. DSitMoM should have done probably 20% better.

Yeah ER is totally fucked up potc 4 made 800+ but in 2017 rates it was 590+.

I remember back when we were complains about ERs in 2018/2019, bit now it’s like 10% worse than that and trending the wrong way. Avtatwo could easily have like 30% worse ER than Avatar.