grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

Thor 4 was a disappointment for sure, but not a disaster. It was a really weightless movie, despite all the very serious events that befell its characters.

The real issue here, as I’ve said before, is the brand tarnishing: too many MCU entries have been unenthusiastically received lately and that needs to change real soon for them.

Also Taika’s shtick, even his presence in interviews (look at me! I’m so energetic and quirky and cool - and potentially VERY high on something) is incredibly tiresome. 

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

I remember back when we were complains about ERs in 2018/2019, bit now it’s like 10% worse than that and trending the wrong way. Avtatwo could easily have like 30% worse ER than Avatar.

Don't worry. Watch it get great ER magically.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Because critics suck. I've been saying this for 100,000 years. Critics in my opinion look for different things than audiences do. And obviously the people who are rushing out to see it this weekend are fans of the book and if they're the ones who are pleased then that means the filmmakers have done their job properly.

People need to keep in mind what type of film is being reviewed and what business or organization the critic is working for when writing the review. There are a lot of fan boy type critics on RT nowadays and many things are far less critical than traditional critics because they need to maintain their fan base/user group. Reviews of Marvel, Star Wars, sci fi and star studded action films tend to be the most prone to these less discerning reviewers.

However films like Crawdads and other adult dramas as well as arthouse or independent movies tend to bypass these type of reviewers and are mostly reviewed by professional critics and film lovers more concerned with elements besides spectacle. These films receive far fewer reviews but the reviews, as a whole, tend to be more honest and fair. You may or may not agree with their good or bad reviews but they don’t pull punches usually (but not always).

Then you have publications like Variety and The Hollywood Reporter and other movie intensive reviewers that fall somewhere in between. Just pay attention to the type of film being reviewed, who is reviewing it and adjust accordingly.

• Like 3

Step 1 = People complain that we won’t get early numbers and the threads will suffer because of it.

Step 2 = We get early numbers.

Step 3 = Early numbers get discussed for 5 posts (and not by the people complaining that we didn't get early numbers) and then the thread moves elsewhere.

Oh boy, thank goodness we got those early numbers to drive the discussion! 🙄

Edited by StormbreakerXXR
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It's just 🥱

Crawdads - 4.9 + 2.3 = 7.2

Fury - 1.85 + 0.5 = 2.35

Edited by StormbreakerXXR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Because critics suck. I've been saying this for 100,000 years. Critics in my opinion look for different things than audiences do. And obviously the people who are rushing out to see it this weekend are fans of the book and if they're the ones who are pleased then that means the filmmakers have done their job properly.

You aren't wrong that they look for different things in cases like this, but you see, fans of these kind of adaptations most of the time aren't looking for quality, they are looking for "is it just like the book?", like, is everything on paper on screen and nothing more? That is why this movie despite being an A- is not gonna hold like an A- movie, probably. The gap between critics and fans usually is also similar to the gap from fans to general audiences.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

Elvis. Paws True Friday was 250K below it.

Its funny. Elvis has been selling out on weeknights here. I know this because my best friend and his wife have been trying to go this week to no success.

Don't have the heart to spoil it.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

You aren't wrong that they look for different things in cases like this, but you see, fans of these kind of adaptations most of the time aren't looking for quality, they are looking for "is it just like the book?", like, is everything on paper on screen and nothing more? That is why this movie despite being an A- is not gonna hold like an A- movie, probably. The gap between critics and fans usually is also similar to the gap from fans to general audiences.

Well I think I disagree with you like 95% here. I never go by what a critic says. I always try to make up my own mind or if I'm going to look for some kind of feedback with it I'll go for people who have seen the movie who don't get paid to watch a film.

4 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Its funny. Elvis has been selling out on weeknights here. I know this because my best friend and his wife have been trying to go this week to no success.

Don't have the heart to spoil it.

Along with Top Gun, Elvis is probably the only other movie this summer that I could see more than once. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Well I think I disagree with you like 95% here. I never go by what a critic says. I always try to make up my own mind or if I'm going to look for some kind of feedback with it I'll go for people who have seen the movie who don't get paid to watch a film.

That is not really what I said tho. I was talking directly about these kind of adaptations like Crawdads. That most of the time the no.1 priority is if it is loyal to the book, that most of times turns out great for fans but not so much for general audiences. Overall I agree you should make up your own mind about a movie.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

Step 1 = People complain that we won’t get early numbers and the threads will suffer because of it.

Step 2 = We get early numbers.

Step 3 = Early numbers get discussed for 5 posts and then the thread moves elsewhere.

Oh boy, thank goodness we got those early numbers to drive the discussion! 🙄

The notion that every weekend thread is only what it is because of early numbers was always a ridiculous concept.  This is just a shit weekend. 

If we still aren't supplied early numbers up until Avatar 2's opening weekend, does anyone honestly think that thread isn't going to be popping off?

• Like 11

2 hours ago, baumer said:

OR... the audience base for this is so small, mostly the existing fans, that they are all predisposed to like it if they're bothering to comment/review. There's a multitude of reasons for a possible disconnect like this.