grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

4 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

What you just wrote there is absolutely delusional. It's just awful box office prediction that makes zero sense. Fact: Minions franchise is much bigger than Thor globally.

To expect 500-600m domestic is just sheer lunacy. It's laughable. It's a weak franchise in terms of quality with 1 good entry out of 4. That's 25% success rate. Bad. We established that most people here had bad predictions expecting this to fly past 400m. Thor is not a Spidey, IM tier SH. Its highest grosser is 315m domestically. 400-415m was the absolute ceiling for it. It maybe could have got there had the film not being average as best. It could have done GotG 2 numbers had the fans not been cheated and baited with the GotG presence in the movie.

You either can't read or simply just ignorant as I stated that Thor's WW tally is disappointing. No two ways about that. However, its domestic tally is a mild success if it beats its predecessor. The actual bizarre thing is to have two films that had a roughly similar tally with the previous entries, both films finishing in the same range again and one film is considered a huge success and one is a disaster. Tell me how that makes any sense?

Just because a film falls short of your crazy prediction doesn't make is a disaster.

Thor before Ragnarok & after Ragnarok aren't same. Love and Thunder should have done closer to $500M DOM if it was well made let alone $400M+.

• Like 4

Love And Thunder's raw numbers aren't disappointing. It should recover in the coming weeks especially considering no other mega blockbusters are coming out. Marvel are safe for now but if they continue to make disappointments like L&T, MOM and especially Eternals the box office will eventually start hurting.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, belblazer said:

How much does Thor 4 needs to break even?

Budget is around 250M...........Currently its sitting at 233Dom and 264OS 

Dom-230*55%=126.5M

OS-264*40%=105.6

just 18M short of prodn budget as of now....Assume 100M P&E is not inculded in this....end of the run LT will cover that as well

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

MV5BM2I4NWI3MTctOWMyZC00MDE3LWI4MmMtMDhi

though I prefer the sequel which blatantly rips off Aliens

1-1481792494.jpg

I … might have to watch these (I’m a sucker for cheesy sci-fi)

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Love And Thunder's raw numbers aren't disappointing. It should recover in the coming weeks especially considering no other mega blockbusters are coming out. Marvel are safe for now but if they continue to make disappointments like L&T, MOM and especially Eternals the box office will eventually start hurting.

It's barely making it past 700m . If that's not disappointing don't know what is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Thor before Ragnarok & after Ragnarok aren't same. Love and Thunder should have done closer to $500M DOM if it was well made let alone $400M+.

500m is simply delusional, bud. Sorry to break it to you but Thor is NOT an IM, Spidey level SH. Nobody in the industry had that level of expectations, that's just pure forum fantasy talk. As I said before 400m could have happened, but it was obvious after the first reviews came out that it wasn't to be. So it's kinda performing as expected in the US, the OS run is underwhelming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Oh financially Th4r is a Huge Hit. There's simply no doubt on that but just becoming Huge Hit isn't enough always.

If Endgame had only done $1.5B, it would have been a Disaster.

More like mild hit. 

Run will be similar to TASM  part 2 709m on a 255m budget and had 50m profit According to deadline.

Should get to 75-100m profit 

I dont think LT numbers can be considered as a disappointment considering the fact that it did not release in a 30M Middle east market, 20-30m Russia and 150m China....decent numbers

Even MoM numbers were not disappointing...945M WW with mixed WoM is no easy task and again No R&C release

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

It's barely making it past 700m . If that's not disappointing don't know what is.

That's your projection, sure. I don't like falling into this rabbit hole of everything that doesn't make a billion is a disappointment or a flop. Too many people on the internet believe that and it's annoying. I already have to deal with The Batman is a flop nonsense.

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Marvel raised the box office bar so high that movies under 1B are seen as disappointment

The bar was raised that high because of the quality of the product. L&T and MOM coming in under 1B are merely disappointments because we (Marvel loonies ;)) know that if the quality matched the expected quality we're used to receiving, both would have attained it (or in Thor's case at least been much closer, because OS headwinds are a nightmare right now.)

4 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Not making it past 700m. 

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

500m is simply delusional, bud. Sorry to break it to you but Thor is NOT an IM, Spidey level SH. Nobody in the industry had that level of expectations, that's just pure forum fantasy talk. As I said before 400m could have happened, but it was obvious after the first reviews came out that it wasn't to be. So it's kinda performing as expected in the US, the OS run is underwhelming.

Its anyways too late after reviews to have any sort of expectations. $500M is what it should have done. Simple.

You don't need to be as strong as Iron Man for $500M.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

That's your projection, sure. I don't like falling into this rabbit hole of everything that doesn't make a billion is a disappointment or a flop. Too many people on the internet believe that and it's annoying. I already have to deal with The Batman is a flop nonsense.

It's not that it's failing to make a Billion, it's more that there will be barely any improvement, if any, on Ragnarok.

Can't ask for a better setup for the movie than coming off Ragnarok with the same creative team back together, a hook with Jane Foster Thor with Portman returning, Guardians in the movie as well, Thor being one of the most loved characters out of IW/Endgame and trailers which broke viewership records. There was potential for a lot more at the box office here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

It's not that it's failing to make a Billion, it's more that there will be barely any improvement, if any, on Ragnarok.

Can't ask for a better setup for the movie than coming off Ragnarok with the same creative team back together, a hook with Jane Foster Thor with Portman returning, Guardians in the movie as well, Thor being one of the most loved characters out of IW/Endgame and trailers which broke viewership records. There was potential for a lot more at the box office here.

I don't deny that a better movie would have made more money. Money was absolutely left on the table, although I don't buy that 500mil domestic talk.

19 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Marvel raised the box office bar so high that movies under 1B are seen as disappointment

Yea but these movies aren't cheap. 350-400 budget means making 700 or 800 isn't really all that good.

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

400m is really doable of a 144m weekend. Why are you acting like 2.36* legs with no competition and summer weekdays. are the best it could have done?

Love your strawman of calling it disaster yet so many here are calling it a disappointment.

You point out  the reviews clearly lowered it changes so your saying clearly if reviews were better it would have done  better that easily.

So clearly it's a disappointment due to its reception then and could have made more if conditions were right then . You contradicting yourself.

• Like 1