grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They were hyping up her return back when it was announced in 2019 that she would be a big part of the action this time around instead merely sitting on the sidelines or only existing as a plot device (like she was in the second Thor movie).

Marvel thought Jane's return was a big deal but I'm not sure how much the fans ever agreed. Ragnarok was a huge commercial/critical hit without her, after all.

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I think people were interested to see the film do Portman justice. 

Still don’t give a shit about sif 

I just remember that I found Thor and Jane to be a perfectly nice couple in the first two and was surprised how much that did not seem to be a majority sentiment at the time: so many people just thought the character was annoying and useless. And the Portman fans more in the awards space weren't really into CBMs anyway and thought she was better off making other kinds of movies. So, getting Jane more involved in the action might have been a good idea on paper but wasn't necessarily going to move the needle in a big way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Oh financially Th4r is a Huge Hit. There's simply no doubt on that but just becoming Huge Hit isn't enough always.

If Endgame had only done $1.5B, it would have been a Disaster.

“huge hit”? Come on now. It looks like it will barely pass 700m and maybe kot even reach it. On a 250m budget not including marketing. It will be mildly profitable at best and definitely below what Disney was hoping

• Like 3

Dr Strange and Thor sequels making twice as much as Black Widow/Shang Chi/Eternals is a good place for Marvel to be.

Especially after the luke warm reception.

There was improvement but there's still room for growth. It reminds me of phase 2. 

People's expectations are not realistic here. Often way too high. Quality matters. MCU is just producing crap films lately. The only exception is NWH, and if you look at the films released since RDJ left, they ain't good. RDJ was the glue and his lack of presence is obviously a big miss. No wonder he was getting astronomical dough. Not to mention the nauseating amount of tv shows going. She-Hulk already a candidate of the worst show of the year. This notion that a film should clear 400-500m with ease is just a tad out of touch. I don't even want to think what meltown are to come here when BP2 misses 500m.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Dr Strange and Thor sequels making twice as much as Black Widow/Shang Chi/Eternals is a good place for Marvel to be.

Especially after the luke warm reception.

There was improvement but there's still room for growth. It reminds me of phase 2. 

Thor 4's opening being functionally equal to Ragnarok after adjustments (+~5% for L&T's WW opening in same markets). That's not a bad place to be but I'm not sure I'd champion it as some sort of victory. Seems more like the absence of a story either way than a real positive or negative thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The $725M it will do is actually par $1B with normal ER & missing markets, so that $1B disappointment isn't gonna be an issue here.

Thor 4 should have perhaps done $1.3B 

What am I missing? My back of the envelope attempts to place Thor:Love and Thunder's opening on the same grounds as Ragnarok, suggests they had functionally identical aggregate openings in non-missing markets. Ragnarok had more markets and didn't come close to sniffing 1B. Did Ragnarok have a worse environment than I remember?

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Nobody says Thor is a disaster. That’s a straw man. It’s a disappointment  though 

Yeah it should've pulled a Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2.

I think that had a 25% increase from vol 1.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Anyone else not feeling Nope?

Me! US was horrible I think there's a lot of people who feel the same way that I do. I don't see it grossing more than 60 mill.

• Like 2