filmlover

The Bikeriders | 6/21/2024 | Focus | Jodie Comer, Austin Butler, Tom Hardy | Jeff Nichols

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder when Disney plans to release this now because there was talk of giving it a qualifying run but Oscar season is already looking too competitive for a breakthrough. Wouldn't be surprised if they're saving this for sometime next year.

With the first few months emptying out, I think February or March.

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder when Disney plans to release this now because there was talk of giving it a qualifying run but Oscar season is already looking too competitive for a breakthrough. Wouldn't be surprised if they're saving this for sometime next year.

I think Jeff Nichols and co need to swallow their pride and just make this a fully commercial play. Sounds like they made a pretty good movie, but yeah this just isn't breaking through any category this year. 

If I'm them, I think April makes the most sense. Austin Butler will get another boost from Masters of the Air and Dune Part II. 

12 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I think Jeff Nichols and co need to swallow their pride and just make this a fully commercial play. Sounds like they made a pretty good movie, but yeah this just isn't breaking through any category this year. 

If I'm them, I think April makes the most sense. Austin Butler will get another boost from Masters of the Air and Dune Part II. 

Yeah the reviews were good that came out of the film festivals but not Oscar great so sell it as a commercial audience and release it in that Feb-April next year that is becoming more and more of a ghost town with each delay.

Guessing they know this is going nowhere awards-wise (Disney already has Poor Things and All of Us Strangers as their main pushes) and don't want to sit on it for much longer since it's already screened, so probably easy to just offload it to someone else.

I could totally see a streamer picking this up with that cast. Such is the state of the movie business circa 2023.

15 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I feel like an April date would be better suited for this riding off the highs of Dune and Masters of the Air.

This was probably the most convenient date for the cast to be available for promo that didn't conflict with other projects.

A new trailer for this has been rated. Longer than the first one. Maybe it gets attached to Dune Part 2

Having seen the Horizon trailer, I think this should move up, say to May 31. Nothing else is on that right now.

Slated for June 21, the week after is A Quiet Place and Horizon. A Quiet Place could easily go over $150m DOM given the franchises track record, and Horizon feels geared towards a very similar audience as this. I think June 21 is suicide. It's legs would be killed imo. May 31 is empty and then the week after has 2 movies that probably would top out in the $20m OW range at best (The Crow and The Watchers)