grim22

Kung Fu Panda 4 | March 8 2024

They likely didn't see it as worth paying Jolie, Rogen, etc. to record just a handful of lines, so their characters not returning after nearly a decade isn't a surprise. Probably a different situation from Hader/Kaling on Inside Out 2 where it's reasonable to assume their was a possible pay dispute and they walked so they just cast new actors in the roles.

• Like 1

Looks mid, like a rushed out cash grab sequel, not something this long in the making. I loved the first two as a kid (never got around to 3) and was looking forward to this after Puss in Boots 2 surprised me so much. Was hoping we'd get some of that stylized animation for this, the action scenes would look awesome. 

I don’t even understand who the audience is for this? Literally every kid that grew up with the first two are no longer kids. 3 was already a bit of a “nostalgia play” for that audience, and didn’t even work that well. Because I don’t think this franchise ever reached a real legacy for nostalgia. The writing was kind of on the wall about that way back when 2 massively underperformed despite everything being perfectly set up to seem like this could be their next Shrek franchise. It just never really happened and now it’s a completely different gen of kids I feel have zero ties to this. 

On 12/13/2023 at 10:05 PM, MovieMan89 said:

Because I don’t think this franchise ever reached a real legacy for nostalgia.

You'd be surprised, when this trailer dropped, the amount of people I saw across multiple sites going "wait, where's the Furious Five??" I didn't know that many people cared about the franchise.

Also, there have been at least 2 shows on either Netflix or Amazon, the franchise has a strong presence in Universal theme parks around the world. It may not be Shrek or even HTTYD level but there is a consistent and enduring love for this brand

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

It might be considered a hot take or if i’m alone on this but….i really liked this trailer. Maybe it’s me but i feel like there are audiences who genuinely cares about this franchise (myself included). I loved the previous three KFP films and considers this franchise as one of the most underrated mainstream animated franchises up there with the Madagascar films & the HTTYD-films (two other Dreamworks animated franchises).

While the ”Kung Fu Panda”-films sadly never had the same success & popularity as the Frozen-films & the Despicable Me/Minions films box office wise, the quality and the critical reception has always been there for these films.

Though i admitedly overestimated the third film’s box office chances big time. Since I said that film was gonna be one of the biggest films of 2016 and dominate, and instead…I got burned badly by that film’s box office underperformance. Also keep in mind, that was during the time when animated franchise films from Disney/Pixar & Illumination were massive hits and the same year where Disney’s Zootopia broke out, released not long after KFP3. So I can’t predict overly insane numbers for this one.

With that said though, I still think there’s a bit of box office life in these movies, even if they aren’t on “Frozen” levels. In fact, I got mocked when I was told that a fourth film would not happen and wouldn’t exist and yet here we are, eight years later.

Also I see complaints here that this fourth film (in a Dreamworks-animated franchise, no less) is being called/or likely to be called “unnecessary”, “pointless” & “not worth checking out” or such because of the first trailer. You know what other fourth film in an animated was met with the same complaints before that film’s release? Pixar’s Toy Story 4! That one was also met with criticisms that it was too “unnecessary”, “pointless” and such, and that it would destroy how the third film concluded…..and yet that film’s highly acclaimed quality and reception overcame all those complaints and made $434M DOM and over 1.07 billion worldwide.

And while I can’t see KFP4 do the numbers that TS4 made, I still think that families and fans of the franchise as a whole will be there enough to make it a success this time. I do genuinely hope it’s as great as the previous films and that it makes more money than the third film to get Dreamworks Animation close to the top again. Also, it’s the first big mainstream animated film of 2024, and by then it would more than two months since Illumination’s Migration, that families would turn out for a new animated film for a change.

I do hope for the best for this film and I also hope it’s a breakout this time. Since I’m that huge of a fan of this franchise and I hope there’s life in it when it comes out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Morieris said:

I wonder if this would have benefited from a change in style like Puss 2.

The opening of the first movie has an interesting flatter style that shows up occasionally in other movies (I think), that would have been interesting.

If you want to change styles, you have to have a great story. Otherwise, it would have just made the film seem "cheaper." Puss 2 looked cheaper, but the story was compelling. As much as I said I enjoyed this trailer, the story doesn't seem compelling. It just wasn't a bad trailer.

I remember seeing the first film in theaters, and I remember how amazing it looked compared to the Dreamworks films which had come before. Yes, the story was great, too, but it was easier to overlook flaws when the film looked so good. These days, all big studio animation looks amazing, so you really need a compelling story to bring people in. More than you used to.