Eric the Ape

The Fall Guy | May 3, 2024 | Universal | Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt | Based off the 80s TV show

5 hours ago, cinema pal said:

Cuz with tomatocritics' avarage score at 8 it's  expected  to be higher for a crowdpleaser like this in the first days of release. Ratings usually drop when a wider audience watches a movie

On letterboxd it's 3.6/5 after 14.6 k

Once again why don't we wait until it opens DOM until we worry. CS and the Rotten Tomatoes audience score will probably be a lot more telling of WOM than IMBD and Letterbox from people who may or may not have  seen it in  Australia so far.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

"38 markets"

)))

Okay I will correct that. May or may not have seen it in those 38 markets yet. Some of which are very small. There is no reason to be concerned is my point. If US audiences are mixed on it then yeah. As one person earlier  said if a movie like this gets great reviews from critics and audiences don't like it then well we are in some weird times.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TomThomas said:

I just watched it and if it's somehow not commercially appealing or audience-friendly movie, then the film industry is truly dead

Well the problem is it's kinda The Nice Guys2024+romcom mix and with $125 m price tag I see how it can struggle. It feels small and big at the same time. 

The movie is super fun and romantic, has cool stunt work, but lacks Shane Black' witty writing if I may continue my comparison. I'm not sure the first week of May as summer opener is the best slot for it.

Edited by cinema pal

Talking about trailers... The second one has really weird editing in the beginning and at the end.. That's not what happens in the movie... Blunt's character is  watching intirely different footage, not Gosling crashing through train windows or being shirtless)

Thankfully I watched the trailer after the movie

Edited by cinema pal

2 hours ago, cinema pal said:

Talking about trailers... The second one has really weird editing in the beginning and at the end.. That's not what happens in the movie... Blunt's character is  watching intirely different footage, not Gosling crashing through train windows or being shirtless)

Thankfully I watched the trailer after the movie

Maybe it's just me and I have watched enough trailers but I could figure that out watching the trailer the first time. Studio's do this all the time editing trailers to make seem things different. 

4 hours ago, cinema pal said:

Well the problem is it's kinda The Nice Guys2024+romcom mix and with $125 m price tag I see how it can struggle. It feels small and big at the same time. 

The movie is super fun and romantic, has cool stunt work, but lacks Shane Black' witty writing if I may continue my comparison. I'm not sure the first week of May as summer opener is the best slot for it.

This is the problem. People claim they want more movies like this and when they get them they either don't see them or are underwhelmed because it's not the massive blow up em up CG fest they claim they are sick of. I think People don't know what they actually want sometimes. 

• Like 2

If Fall Guy does Bullet Train numbers offshore that seems like a win.

From Deadline: As noted above, the weekend was good for $8.7M in 38 markets and is coming in above The Lost City and just off Bullet Train in the same markets and excluding previews. 

Australia was a No. 1 opening with $2.9M across 132 screens, above Bullet Train and The Lost City. The release capitalized on Thursday’s Anzac Day holiday, and 40% of schools are also on holiday this week. Here in Spain, a $1M opening was a clear No. 1 and above The Lost City and Mad Max: Fury Road. In the Netherlands there was also a No. 1 start.

Israel, releasing into Passover, saw Thursday deliver the biggest opening day of 2024 with $400K which marks the best non-animated opening weekend of the year (excluding previews). The start is above John Wick: Chapter 4 and The Lost City, and more than double Bullet Train.

Other No. 1s include Ukraine, Belgium, Sweden, Finland and Norway.

The Top 5 so far are: Australia ($2.9M), Spain ($1M), Netherlands ($556K), New Zealand ($435K) and Hong Kong ($381K).

Edited by JimmyB

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I saw the /r/Fauxmoi subreddit absolutely freaking out abut the movie because there's an Amber Heard/Johnny Depp joke in the movie.

I lurk there sometimes, and they freak out roughly once every week or two.

• Haha 1

“God that took me out of the movie so badly when I watched it, there was truly no reason whatsoever to say it. Embarrassing for everyone involved.”

"The Fall Guy was just kind of cringe and smug until the weird j*hnny and a*ber joke, then it was unpleasant. 2024 and we're putting [domestic violence] jokes into our action comedies I guess"

lol

Edited by cinema pal
  • Haha 1