Eric the Ape

The Fall Guy | May 3, 2024 | Universal | Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt | Based off the 80s TV show

On 3/15/2024 at 1:47 PM, AniNate said:

I do think "Ken romancing Oppy wife" is the main hook here

I really don't. I don't think the Barbenheimer thing extends that far outside each of those movies. It just looks like a real fun movie 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 12:47 PM, AniNate said:

I do think "Ken romancing Oppy wife" is the main hook here

As someone who saw neither Barbie nor Oppenheimer, I was just sold on the trailer.

30 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I really don't. I don't think the Barbenheimer thing extends that far outside each of those movies. It just looks like a real fun movie 

I do think a movie like this starring Robbie and Murphy as the leads could see a decent bump because of Barbenheimer tbh

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I do think a movie like this starring Robbie and Murphy as the leads could see a decent bump because of Barbenheimer tbh

The right actor pairing was made. A Robie and Murphy pairing for this would not add anything to the BO potential and Murphy would have been way miscast. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

The right actor pairing was made. A Robie and Murphy pairing for this would not add anything to the BO potential and Murphy would have been way miscast. 

I'm not talking about this specific movie obviously. But put Robbie and Murphy in something like a rom-com within the next year or so, I say it has a grear shot at becoming a decent sized hit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Lots of movies look "real fun" but their recent box office hits and Oscar attention give this extra allure

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I'm not saying Barbie and Oppenheimers success doesn't help but I think the reason trackings good is simple: it looks fun and people want to see it 

They also had a pretty good marketing bit at the Oscar's where they showed off Gosling's and Blunt's chemistry. While it didn't go viral on TikTok, it made a little bit of a dent there

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I'm not saying Barbie and Oppenheimers success doesn't help but I think the reason trackings good is simple: it looks fun and people want to see it 

Is tracking good, though? Granted, this kind of film opening sales 2 months out makes it fairly expected for sales to be low, but still...sales are low. I don't see any sign of this breaking out at all right now.

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Is tracking good, though? Granted, this kind of film opening sales 2 months out makes it fairly expected for sales to be low, but still...sales are low. I don't see any sign of this breaking out at all right now.

See I knew this would happen when they started the pre sales so early. The main audience for this is not going to be buying tickets for this 2 months early. The GA/casuals right now are focused on deciding whether they will see GB;FE and G&K:NE. Since there is no big movie coming in April they will have a whole month to build up again and the buzz from marketing and the reviews and WOM from screenings will only  build. Like I have said this movie will be a true test how well a star driven non CBM/tentpole blockbuster can do in these times. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

See I knew this would happen when they started the pre sales so early. The main audience for this is not going to be buying tickets for this 2 months early. The GA/casuals right now are focused on deciding whether they will see GB;FE and G&K:NE. Since there is no big movie coming in April they will have a whole month to build up again and the buzz from marketing and the reviews and WOM from screenings will only  build. Like I have said this movie will be a true test how well a star driven non CBM/tentpole blockbuster can do in these times. 

Sure? Like I said, sales being low 2 months out for an original action flick isn't unexpected. We'll see if it picks up close to release, I certainly hope so. But would I say, as of right now, that tracking is good? Not particularly.

18 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Sure? Like I said, sales being low 2 months out for an original action flick isn't unexpected. We'll see if it picks up close to release, I certainly hope so. But would I say, as of right now, that tracking is good? Not particularly.

And we are only talking about tracking for this movie because Universal decided to start pre sales in the second week of March when they could have waited till mid April when the GA really will start paying attention. Like you said hope the ticket sales pick up. if this gets much better buzz and reviews than stuff like The Lost City and Bullet Train and can't still  open much better. Than yeah kind of a big bummer. 

• Like 1

this movie certainly remembers post pandemic things like the Tatum- Bullock, Roberts- Clooney and Anything but you movies. They all played good showing there is a (female) audience for a rom com trained by 2 big names. Even with bad reviews all of them. 

This seems to have the same kind of rom com energy plus the action so i'm confident now could play very good, and also seems like could be a good movie for its genre so that's help too.

3 hours ago, JustLurking said:

This isn’t a pre sale driven film. We will see what kind of opening it’s going to have the week of release. It’s also probably going to be very walk up heavy and WOM is key. 

Edited by babz06
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, babz06 said:

This isn’t a pre sale driven film. We will see what kind of opening it’s going to have the week of release. It’s also probably going to be very walk up heavy and WOM is key. 

I have literally said all this already. That doesn't mean current tracking is good.

6 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I have literally said all this already. That doesn't mean current tracking is good.

yeah but it's not tracking it's just early presales for a movie that honestly did not need  to do early presales. Honestly just us weirdo's on a box office forum care about this movie right now.