Maggie

Labor Day/National Cinema Day Weekend Thread | TGM crosses 700M! Fifth-biggest movie DOM! The Cruise Missile never stops

8 minutes ago, setna said:

...so, not the numbers we were expecting....

Very much the numbers we were expecting. Maybe a little stronger. Gotta see how Sat goes.

Edited by Legion By Night
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Very much the numbers we were expecting. Maybe a little stronger. Gotta see how Sat goes.

ProBox Office predicted 6.6 M for the 4 days, for TGM, so this is little far from this number.

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Bullet Train ahead of TGM is not surprising. It was ahead of it all week. Anyway, weak numbers all around, right?

Weak in a vacuum, as compared to last Friday, yes. But have to expect some usual/potential Friday business is going to be sucked into Cinema Day’s discount pricing instead. I had guesstimated a 30% loss for Friday, so these numbers are in general slightly better than I had penciled in 

• Like 3

According to the Numbers, last Saturday grossed $21.63M in aggregate. It’s probably a stretch to match that total with the $3 pricing, but dropping only 10-20% in gross - implying over 3x the admissions - is still quite possible 

My local theatre pre-sold (by last night) more tickets than they had all of last Sat, and it’s very much a walk-up friendly location. Just hope theaters are prepared for the influx of people (though I suspect many are not)

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think they could have gone for $5 instead of $3. Europe usually do €4 IIRC, that would be $5 equivalent in USA.

Germany is going with 5€ (that's even including premium seats) next week for the 2 day "Kinofest". 

15 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think they could have gone for $5 instead of $3. Europe usually do €4 IIRC, that would be $5 equivalent in USA.

I agree, or at least make it $5 even (with taxes included). But I think the $3 pricing reflects the desperation of wanting to draw people in, at least for one day, relative to the weakness in the release calendar for the next almost 2 months 

May not need to drop the price so low in subsequent years (assuming this becomes an annual event) with a healthier slate behind it 

• Like 1