Maggie

Labor Day/National Cinema Day Weekend Thread | TGM crosses 700M! Fifth-biggest movie DOM! The Cruise Missile never stops

17 minutes ago, Eric the Shark said:

I didn't get it either. I'm assuming it's because Minions is a kids movie and they can't show footage of Pearl or Don't Worry Darling? But if you didn't get it in front of Orphan 2, then maybe there was miscommunication. I'm honestly really mad, because that sizzle reel was the only reason I planned something for Saturday :(

yup, I didn't get it at a single movie, and I also saw Bodies x3 and the Hallelujah doc :(

So, I saw Thor.

OMG.  I consider today a silver lining day.  I only had to pay $3 for a supers movie about as bad as Batman V Superman.  I haven't given a superhero movie a D- grade since that movie, but Thor did deserve it:).

No one in my family liked it much, although 2 people (oldest son and dad) were more forgiving at B+ and C.  

They liked that I paid so little, and wonder why they couldn't talk their youngest brother into seeing Bullet Train.  I did tell them to not worry too much b/c that movie might have been just as bad...although that would have been hard.

Least favorite movie I've seen this year in theaters.  It's a miracle it's made as much as it has.  If they do another Thor with Taiki, I'd expect half the box office...

One thing - there were 4 movies in this movie.  One seemed like it could be a good movie (aka, probably the tone and theming of the 1st 5 minutes)...maybe if someone wrote a script and simplified the movie and expanded on that true darkness...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Blankments said:

I don’t think that sizzle reel is getting actual play? At least it didn’t in front of Orphan 2 at the amc lol

I did not get it...and weirdly, I only got 12 minutes of previews, so it seems like it should have fit right after the previews for Thor...

14 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Checking few titles in Harkins at 6:45PM

NWH - 11,462/42,998 - May be $1.8-2M

Bullet Train - 17,779/34,306 - Woah. May be $2.5-3M

Minions - 13,472/20,362 - May be $1.5-1.7M

Super Pets - 23,283/34,341 - LOL. $3-3.5M
Thor - 6,603/11,772 - May be $1M

Nope - 3,596/6,548 - May be $0.6M

Top Gun - 15,660/34,603 - May be $2.5-2.7M

Cross referencing with the tracking thread. If today was normal pricing, I'd be confident in predicting Sunday at about -10% across the board thanks to Labor Day Monday BUT I'm fairly certain tomorrow will be an even bigger drop than a typical non-holiday Sunday.  

Edited by The More Fun XXR
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The More Fun XXR said:

Cross referencing with the tracking thread. If today was normal pricing, I'd be confident in predicting Sunday at about -10% across the board thanks to Labor Day Monday BUT I'm fairly certain tomorrow will be an even bigger drop than a typical non-holiday Sunday.  

Normally Labor Day Sunday is around 50-70% higher than FRI I think. That would mean around 17-18M SUN as compared to ~25M SAT.

• Like 1

As by all accounts we're in range, re-upping this comment. The highest grossing days in aggregate (excluding previews where applicable) post-pandemic are:

• Sa 12/18/21 = $82.34M
  • Sa 7/09/22 = $79.11M
  • Fr 12/17/22 = $78.26M
  • Sa 6/11/22 = $74.00M
  • Sa 5/07/22 = $71.96M
  • Fr 7/08/22 = $69.31M

Beyond that days start bunching up in the $60M range

Presuming an $11 ATP, those would estimate to 6.3M to 7.5M in total daily admissions. Cinema Day looks poised to fall somewhere on that list

• Like 4

On a different note, while we only got 13 minutes of trailers, I can say the best trailer as far as my family was concerned, which far and away caused more interest was not Oppenheimer, Strange World, the Amazon Lord of the Rings show, Black Panther 2, or Avatar 2 - it was Amsterdam.

If I'm gonna pick an original movie to surprise next, it's gonna be that one, b/c that movie seems like a ton of crazy fun.  Even my youngest was like "maybe" right after he saw it...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

On a different note, while we only got 13 minutes of trailers, I can say the best trailer as far as my family was concerned, which far and away caused more interest was not Oppenheimer, Strange World, the Amazon Lord of the Rings show, Black Panther 2, or Avatar 2 - it was Amsterdam.

If I'm gonna pick an original movie to surprise next, it's gonna be that one, b/c that movie seems like a ton of crazy fun.  Even my youngest was like "maybe" right after he saw it...

Edit: Although this assumes they keep the director under wraps, which they did REALLY well in the trailer...I guess that's a good path for Flash when it opens...

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

the Amazon Lord of the Rings show

I got that trailer too last we went to movies. Interesting that theaters are willing to play an ad for content that (in theory) keeps people home instead of coming back 

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, as I’m hoping it’s a sign exhibition and streaming are starting to figure out they need to work together instead of trying to compete against each other 

• Like 2

National Cinema Day US/CAN

1. Top Gun: Maverick - $2.55M
  2. Super Pets - $2.5M
  3. Bullet Train - $2.35M
  4. Spider-man : No Way Home - $2.18M
  5. The Invitation - $2.03M
  6. Beast - $1.82M
  7. Minions 2 - $1.78M
  8. Thor 4 - $1.25M
  9. Dragon Ball - $1.09M
  10. Jaws - $0.89M
Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Just now, The More Fun XXR said:

AMC @ 1.6M tickets sold in the US means the total day was around 5-5.5M unless the dynamics of the day changed the typical ratios. Add in Canada, maybe 5.5-6M?

AMC’s usual $ value market share over-represents their admission share because they have a higher (highest?) ATP

But also, I expect they will also under-index in large part because they didn’t properly plan for/anticipate this level of business. From my market spot checking, very few of their locations ran extended hours/early shows, while competitors did. Regal in particular went all out (probably because they need the $ and brand boost w/ bankruptcy)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

1. Top Gun: Maverick - $2.55M
  2. Super Pets - $2.5M
  3. Bullet Train - $2.35M
  4. Spider-man : No Way Home - $2.15M
  5. The Invitation - $2.03M

Assuming this holds TGM should be able to get ahead for the weekend i think

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said: