Maggie

Labor Day/National Cinema Day Weekend Thread | TGM crosses 700M! Fifth-biggest movie DOM! The Cruise Missile never stops

12 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

National Cinema Day US/CAN

1. Top Gun: Maverick - $2.55M
  2. Super Pets - $2.5M
  3. Bullet Train - $2.35M
  4. Spider-man : No Way Home - $2.18M
  5. The Invitation - $2.03M
  6. Beast - $1.82M
  7. Minions 2 - $1.78M
  8. Thor 4 - $1.25M
  9. Dragon Ball - $1.09M
  10. Jaws - $0.89M

Honk? For Derby purposes...

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Total box office $25M for the day. Around 8M admits. Higher than July 9, 2022 ~7.25-7.5M and Dec 18, 2021 ~7-7.25M

WOW

And probably could have been even higher if it was known in advance this was going to be a pre-pandemic Christmas Day level event 

If it happens again, I hope they do it over a couple of days/full weekend (or even week) to help spread out demand, better for everyone. Trying to plan for like a 500/5000/800 daily admit pattern is very difficult to get right in one shot 

I can definitely see this becoming a thing going forward but it might depend on the movies that are out. Next Labor Day weekend already has one movie likely to do well on it (The Equalizer 3) and it appears this event was mostly a boost for the movies from earlier this summer, perhaps as a last call before we officially move into fall and the holidays.

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

WOW

And probably could have been even higher if it was known in advance this was going to be a pre-pandemic Christmas Day level event 

If it happens again, I hope they do it over a couple of days/full weekend (or even week) to help spread out demand, better for everyone. Trying to plan for like a 500/5000/800 daily admit pattern is very difficult to get right in one shot 

Need to do $4-5 tix instead of $3.

And may be do it on weekdays like Europe and not the weekend which are already ok. Should have done on WED.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, M37 said:

Like half of that is probably because it was the only show not sold out 

It would still be okay for Focus.

Variety reported that Focus would be fine if Honk for Jesus could open to more than $1 million (during the weekend).

Edited by John2015

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I can definitely see this becoming a thing going forward but it might depend on the movies that are out. Next Labor Day weekend already has one movie likely to do well on it (The Equalizer 3) and it appears this event was mostly a boost for the movies from earlier this summer, perhaps as a last call before we officially move into fall and the holidays.

Think its more accurate to say it was a larger boost to films that usually do well on Discount Tuesday - particularly those that appeal to families and seniors/adults (aka discount hunters). But even something like Invitation it going to get around $4.5M for the 3-day weekend, almost certainly more than it would have without a CD bump, so not like studios should be wary of drawing the short end of the stick. The one exception is probably PLF, like Jaws, so I could see there being some modified pricing there

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Why is ER using past tense as if this already has/ is certain to happen ("flew", "now") and is not an estimate?

Also, looks like studios are overestimating Sunday, with drops of -15% (lol) to -35% from the massively inflated CD numbers. Last year, the only title that increased more than 57% from Friday to Sunday was Jungle Cruise (+75%), and right now most of the Sun estimates are above that ratio

Edited by M37
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Felandria said:

SuperPets is estimating a 15% Sat-Sun drop.

everyone point and laugh.

They don't have a four day estimate so maybe $5,450,000 is their four day total estimate, maybe they there was an accident with the reporting of the numbers.

55 minutes ago, M37 said:

Think its more accurate to say it was a larger boost to films that usually do well on Discount Tuesday - particularly those that appeal to families and seniors/adults (aka discount hunters). But even something like Invitation it going to get around $4.5M for the 3-day weekend, almost certainly more than it would have without a CD bump, so not like studios should be wary of drawing the short end of the stick. The one exception is probably PLF, like Jaws, so I could see there being some modified pricing there

Nah, I think they want to draw folks to PLF for the rest of the year, so they just need it to be a "down weekend" for PLF and to keep the price the same.

So, no great new PLF movie should place on the weekend, but if it's weekend 2 or 3 for it, or like this year, a rerelease of an old movie, that's perfect...

Edited by TwoMisfits