Maggie

Labor Day/National Cinema Day Weekend Thread | TGM crosses 700M! Fifth-biggest movie DOM! The Cruise Missile never stops

3 minutes ago, The More Fun XXR said:

Interesting projections by Deadline. Minions Friday only 8% over Thor but predicting nearly 50% higher 3-Day. Beast with a stronger wknd IM than BT or TGM. 

Let's see how this plays out.

Family movies are getting waaaaay more play than anything else for this new holiday

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, The More Fun XXR said:

Interesting projections by Deadline. Minions Friday only 8% over Thor but predicting nearly 50% higher 3-Day. Beast with a stronger wknd IM than BT or TGM. 

They also have Minions and Pets down around 33% on Friday week over week, but Minions up 32% FSS vs Pets being flat. I'm not buying that at all based on what I'm seeing out here.

• Like 1

Is this one of the rare weekends where a different film is the top grosser on Friday (NWH), Saturday (SP) and Sunday (TGM)? A lower theater count, smaller auditorium sizes and a reduced number of evening showtimes may eventually push SP below TGM today; but there is no denying that SP is selling a boatload of tickets today, perhaps more today than it sold during the last couple of weekends combined.

• Like 1

saw 3k years of longing and jesus christ it was fucking packed. not so much my showing which had about 30 people which i still think is better than what a movie like that would usually pull but in the lobby it was a madhouse the lines were out the door.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 2

33 minutes ago, The More Fun XXR said:

Interesting is a nice way of putting it 

No one really knows how today/this weekend will play out, so can’t say they’re definitely “wrong”, but they’re basically projecting this weekend overall with be flat with last weekend, of which I’m skeptical 

With that said, I’ve been told my local theater has reached 3x last Saturday’s tickets by 3pm 👀 (including pre-sales for tonight)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 3

Seeing Top Gun a third time in a few hours and it is absolute chaos where I'm seeing it. That, Spider-Man, Thor, Minions, The Invitation, Beast, Bullet Train, Super-Pets, Crawdads, Nope, and Elvis are all completely booked up while even accessing ticketing websites are having a wait time on them. What kind of Black Friday/Christmas Day levels of insanity.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What kind of Black Friday/Christmas Day levels of insanity.

Yeah, I think this event will now be a yearly tradition, probably even on this same weekend in years to come as it gives studios and theaters one last summer hurrah in the media. I think there will be better management of showtimes and auditorium bookings in future years as there are some inefficiencies today such as Fall playing all day long or the two newcomers playing on multiple screens in some places or NWH and SP swapping auditoriums to handle the increased demand for family/animated films that are still somewhat new.

• Like 3

I went and saw Emily the Criminal (which I was going to do this weekend anyway), and the theater was moderately busy. That said, the way the local theaters split up the movies is by putting most of the big blockbusters and kid-friendly films at one theater, then the less appealing fare and "B" screens of the bigger movies at the other, so the only movies they had that were pulling in sellout crowds were afternoon shows of Minions and Super-Pets assigned to smaller auditoriums. My screening had about 20 people in it, which is still definitely more than it would have gotten without the promotion.

But the pub cinema in town? Already sold out for the entire night.

Edited by Webslinger

5 hours ago, M37 said:

With that said, I’ve been told my local theater has reached 3x last Saturday’s tickets by 3pm 👀 (including pre-sales for tonight)

Same location blew past 4x by 6pm, will clear 5x when dust settles, and likely set a new post-pandemic high water mark for admissions (which interestingly enough wasn’t NWH or even Thor Sat, but JWD Sat due to market overindex)

Heavy caveats of a single data point, but 

Jurassic Park Hold Onto Your Butts GIF

• Like 4
  • Astonished 2

42 minutes ago, M37 said:

Same location blew past 4x by 6pm, will clear 5x when dust settles, and likely set a new post-pandemic high water mark for admissions (which interestingly enough wasn’t NWH or even Thor Sat, but JWD Sat due to market overindex)

Heavy caveats of a single data point, but 

Jurassic Park Hold Onto Your Butts GIF

Theaters should genuinely look into pricing according to the movies.

Big blockbusters are where they can increase prices for sure but then there's stuff like the movies we have got in all of August where reducing the regular price by a decent amount might have helped

No studio wants their movie to be known as the "discount film" but that might be an alternative to being known as "that bomb which opened in that month which no one went to watch"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Theaters should genuinely look into pricing according to the movies.

Big blockbusters are where they can increase prices for sure but then there's stuff like the movies we have got in all of August where reducing the regular price by a decent amount might have helped

No studio wants their movie to be known as the "discount film" but that might be an alternative to being known as "that bomb which opened in that month which no one went to watch"

People won't just go to see "lesser" movies because they are discounted all the time.

The "lesser" movies are getting a bump because it's a) a special event and b) when people arrive at cinemas the movie they want to see is sold out and they're rather check out something rather than go home empty handed.

10 hours ago, Blankments said:

Celebrate international cinema day with some trailers @WrathOfHan @Eric the Shark!

11x:

Avatar: The Way of Water: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness 35mm, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Round 2 IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Lightyear Dolby, Lightyear Round 2, Thor: Love and Thunder Dolby, Minions: The Rise of Gru, Thor: Love and Thunder Round 2, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial Round 2 IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Round 3 IMAX

9x:

Bullet Train: Morbius Dolby, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Round 2 IMAX, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, The Bob’s Burgers Movie, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Thor: Love and Thunder Dolby, The Black Phone, Nope Round 2 IMAX

8x:

Smile: Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Thor: Love and Thunder Round 2 IMAX, Nope Dolby, The Black Phone, Bullet Train Dolby, Beast Dolby, Three Thousand Years of Longing Dolby

7x:

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, Bullet Train Dolby, Beast Dolby, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Round 4 IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Round 3 IMAX, Three Thousand Years of Longing Dolby

6x:

Strange World: Lightyear Dolby, Lightyear Round 2, Thor: Love and Thunder Dolby, Minions: The Rise of Gru, Thor: Love and Thunder Round 2 IMAX, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial Round 2 IMAX

Black Adam: Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, Elvis Dolby, Thor: Love and Thunder Dolby, Thor: Love and Thunder Round 2 IMAX, Nope Round 2 IMAX, Beast Dolby

4x:

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: Sing 2 Dolby, Belle Round 2, Morbius Dolby, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Dolby

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One: Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Elvis Dolby

Don’t Worry Darling: Elvis Dolby, Nope Dolby, The Black Phone, Bullet Train Dolby

Oppenheimer: Nope Dolby, The Black Phone, Nope Round 2 IMAX, Bullet Train Dolby

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish: The Bad Guys, Lightyear Round 2, Minions: The Rise of Gru, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial Round 2 IMAX

Reveal hidden contents

8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

7x:

Avatar: The Way of Water (Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Jurassic World: Dominion, Thor: Love and Thunder, Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Nope, Minions: The Rise of Gru, Bullet Train)

5x:

Smile (Top Gun: Maverick, Nope, Bullet Train, Beast, Three Thousand Years of Longing)

4x:

Black Adam (Thor: Love and Thunder, Nope, Bullet Train, Beast)

Moonage Daydream (Crimes of the Future, Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Nope, Bullet Train)

3x:

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Bullet Train, Beast, Three Thousand Years of Longing)

Don't Worry Darling (Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Men, The Black Phone)

The Menu (Men, Crimes of the Future, The Black Phone)

Strange World (Lightyear, Thor: Love and Thunder, Minions: The Rise of Gru)

2x:

Amsterdam (Thor: Love and Thunder, Three Thousand Years of Longing)

Barbarian (The Black Phone, Beast)

Beast (Thor: Love and Thunder, Nope)

Bros (Beast, Three Thousand Years of Longing)

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Jurassic World: Dominion, Minions: The Rise of Gru)

Honk for Jesus, Save Your Soul (Nope, Beast)

The Invitation (Bullet Train, Beast)

Oppenheimer (Nope, Bullet Train)

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Minions: The Rise of Gru)

Till (Nope, Three Thousand Years of Longing)

The Woman King (Bullet Train, Three Thousand Years of Longing)

1x:

Halloween Ends (Nope)

John Wick: Chapter 4 (Bullet Train)

Lyle Lyle Crocodile (Minions: The Rise of Gru)

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 (Top Gun: Maverick)

Pearl (Three Thousand Years of Longing)

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Sonic the Hedgehog 2)

Three Thousand Years of Longing (Beast)

Ticket to Paradise (Beast)

8x:

Don't Worry Darling: Elvis, The Black Phone, Nope, Where the Crawdads Sing, Bullet Train, Bodies Bodies Bodies, Emily the Criminal, Three Thousand Years of Longing

6x:

The Woman King: Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, Where the Crawdads Sing, Bullet Train, Emily the Criminal, Breaking, Three Thousand Years of Longing

Black Adam: Uncharted, The Batman, The Phantom of the Open, Elvis, Thor: Love and Thunder, Breaking

5x:

The Invitation: The Black Phone, Vengeance, Where the Crawdads Sing, Bullet Train, Bodies Bodies Bodies

Ticket to Paradise: Mr. Malcolm's List, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Breaking, Minions: The Rise of Gru

Strange World: Lightyear, Thor: Love and Thunder, Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Minions: The Rise of Gru

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish: The Bad Guys, Lightyear, Marcel the Shell, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Minions: The Rise of Gru

4x:

Moonage Daydream: Top Gun: Maverick, Crimes of the Future, The Black Phone, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: Dog, Uncharted, The Guide, RRR

Till: Nope, Bullet Train, Breaking, Three Thousand Years of Longing

3x:

Bodies Bodies Bodies: Men, The Black Phone, Nope

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: Thor: Love and Thunder, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, Vengeance

Lyle Lyle Crocodile: Marcel the Shell, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Minions: The Rise of Gru

2x:

Mack and Rita: Elvis, Where the Crawdads Sing

Beast: The Black Phone, Nope

Pearl: Bodies Bodies Bodies, Three Thousand Years of Longing

Amsterdam: Vengeance, Emily the Criminal

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: Bodies Bodies Bodies, Breaking

Avatar: The Way of Water: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Thor: Love and Thunder

Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom: Uncharted, The Batman

The Flash: Uncharted, The Batman

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Lightyear, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris

Spoiler

Summering: Mr. Malcolm's List

Breaking: Nope

Three Thousand Years of Longing: Where the Crawdads Sing

Honk for Jesus. Save Your Soul: Thor: Love and Thunder

Jaws: Bullet Train

Barbarian: Nope

Medieval: Bullet Train

See How They Run: Mr. Malcolm's List

The Silent Twins: Vengeance

Smile: Top Gun: Maverick

The Good House: Emily the Criminal

Tar: Vengeance

Halloween Ends: Nope

White Bird: A Wonder Story: Thor: Love and Thunder

Call Jane: Emily the Criminal

Prey for the Devil: The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

The Menu: Men

She Said: Where the Crawdads Sing

Devotion: Phantom of the Open

Shazam! Fury of the Gods: Minions: The Rise of Gru

John Wick: Chapter 4: Bullet Train

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1: Top Gun: Maverick

Oppenheimer: Nope

Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre: The King's Man

The Unbreakable Boy: King Richard

6 hours ago, Blankments said:

I don’t think that sizzle reel is getting actual play? At least it didn’t in front of Orphan 2 at the amc lol

I didn't get it either. I'm assuming it's because Minions is a kids movie and they can't show footage of Pearl or Don't Worry Darling? But if you didn't get it in front of Orphan 2, then maybe there was miscommunication. I'm honestly really mad, because that sizzle reel was the only reason I planned something for Saturday :(

• Sad 1