YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

6 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

It's good to know that apparantly it turned out great, but this "return to form" narrative should stop. It's as if the pandemic films were terrible. 🙄

It's a weird narrative, too. The only bad Pixar film of the pandemic era was Lightyear. And the reasons it is bad have nothing to do with two women kissing. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It's a weird narrative, too. The only bad Pixar film of the pandemic era was Lightyear. And the reasons it is bad have nothing to do with two women kissing. 

It's not that Pixar output has been bad it's just downturn in usual quality.

Soul and turning red were pretty good but had minor elements preventing from top tier Pixar.

Luca was fine

Onward was mediocre for 2 acts then had strong third act.

Elemental was generic as hell . Bog standard romance and script . everything in we have seen and lots of animation have done better.

Lightyear didn't need to exist .

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Porthos said:

I'll bite.  Who has been expecting that level of breakout?

It's insane how 3 Disney superhero movies in 2018 within the span of 4 months all crossed 60M admissions domestically (69M for BP, 65M IW, and 64M Incredibles 2). Crazy how Incredibles 2 is basically on par with Infinity War tickets sales! 

And we also had three Disney movies do 200/600+ runs in the span of 4 ish months

TLJ - 220/620

BP - 202/700
IW - 257/678

Edited by HummingLemon496

Everyone has opinions. Elemental had a good leggy redemption at the box office but it still has pretty weak reviews by their standards, and probably not the kind of long term "form" that some people would like to see them continue in.

My hot take is Pete Sohn's previous film was better than both that movie and the predecessor to this one.

7 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

It's good to know that apparantly it turned out great, but this "return to form" narrative should stop. It's as if the pandemic films were terrible. 🙄

That depends entirely on the perception, doesn't it? ;)

If someone thought all the earlier Pixar movies were instant classics, but the last ones were only good, then the same person could consider it a return to form if Inside Out 2 is a great movie for him, even without him thinking that any of the last ones were terrible.

9 minutes ago, George Parr said:

That depends entirely on the perception, doesn't it? ;)

If someone thought all the earlier Pixar movies were instant classics, but the last ones were only good, then the same person could consider it a return to form if Inside Out 2 is a great movie for him, even without him thinking that any of the last ones were terrible.

I don't think all earlier Pixar movies are instant classics and I think nobody does.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I don't think all earlier Pixar movies are instant classics and I think nobody does.

I can assure you there are people who do believe that

But more than that I don't know why we need to make a thing over some guy's verbiage regarding buzz on the upcoming movie. Yes it's a cliche, but it's one that people respond to and that's what ultimately matters in the twittersphere. The only real point he's trying to make is the new movie is good. 

Also he did give Elemental a positive review, clearly tailoring his language to his cynical reader base with that tweet more than implying any personally held opinions.

Edited by AniNate

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

Also he did give Elemental a positive review, clearly tailoring his language to his cynical reader base with that tweet more than implying any personally held opinions.

that's quite an assumption. Could be that this critic thinks Inside Out 2 is just really really good, a lot better than Elemental.

11 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Pixar had two kind of mediocre movies in a row: Lightyear (which I did not see, but bombed at the box office), and Elemental (which I liked, but got middling reviews). I don't think that the three Disney+ Pixar movies factor in here, or at least they don't have to.

52 minutes ago, cannastop said:

that's quite an assumption. Could be that this critic thinks Inside Out 2 is just really really good, a lot better than Elemental.

He might also just be literally quoting his sources with that "return to form" thing I guess

8 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Soul and turning red were pretty good but had minor elements preventing from top tier Pixar.

Luca was fine

Elemental was generic as hell . Bog standard romance and script . everything in we have seen and lots of animation have done better.

While I agree Luca was fine and Lightyear shouldn't exist, I thought Soul, Turning Red and Elemental were great. 

Onward was pretty good, but that came out as the pandemic began so my memories of that film are very fuzzy.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Luca was fine

I loved Luca and Elemental tbh.

i haven’t watch Turning Red, Lightyear, Soul and Onward yet, and tbh until Elemental I hadn’t seen a Pixar movie in theaters since Toy Story 4 (and that was in a drive in theater as a double feature with Avengers: Endgame)

Obviously it’s because most of those movies, aside from Lightyear and Elemental, were straight to Disney+. I was so mad they sent Luca straight to Disney+ instead of theaters in 2021. I kind of understood why, but it was disappointing nonetheless. 

Edited by AnthonyJPHer

I’ve been seeing a lot of ads for this lately and it’s basically a month out still. Disney must’ve gave this a huge marketing budget.

49 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Not the only one. The world still loves the Minions too

i'm seeing it comes in the Us in july so yeah you're right (in my country comes in late august so i thought that was the global release).

Pixar in a way it a victim of it's own sucess. Many people expect better then "Pretty Good" from a Pixar Movie.

I think this is unrealistic..Pixar , in the great days, brought out one film a year; Now they bring out more. Quantity is often the enemy of quality.

For the recent Pixar movies, I liked Elementals and Luca Lot, but thought Getting Read was only OK, and Onward pretty weak. Lightyear is my nominee for possibly the worst film Picar has ever turned out.

5 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Pixar gets the MCU treatment. 

MCU even at its finest was not  Pixar level quality .

Even current Pixar is better than the current MCU.

Yeah pliz let's not do this revisionist stuff. Pixar was dropping instant classics like nothing.

Toy story, incredibles 1,finding Nemo,walle,ratoutille, monsters inc,UP,inside out ,coco

Incredibles 2 was good but not great.(Soul and turning red would fall here.)

Finding dory,monsters university and good dinosaur were the black sheep.

Dory is the best non Toy Story sequel ofc but Pixar is always gonna be "returning to form" with any good movie they put out for the foreseeable future. The Internet narrative is they suck now so they're always going to be having to prove that this time they didn't suck until they can get a real consistent acclaim and box office success trend going again.