YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

On 10/24/2023 at 3:03 PM, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Don't get me wrong, they're not bad songs. I'm not knocking the quality of the songs, but historically, the Disney films that endure are the ones with music that is great for karaoke. Neither song feels karaoke-safe.

The Little Mermaid, for instance, wasn't a huge hit when it first came out in 1989, but it's remembered fondly because just about every song in the film is memorable and sing-alongable!

But Little Mermaid...was a big hit? It was the highest-grossing animated movie ever on its initial release, ignoring movies that got re-released a ton like Snow White/101 Dalmatians/Jungle Book. It's of course overshadowed by stuff like Lion King and Beauty and the Beast a couple years later, but a record like that counts for something.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cannastop said:

There will be early access shows on November 18th. Going on sale tomorrow.

Finally the marketing guys are getting smarter for this. Guessing The Marvels’ upcoming underperformance put the fear of God of Iget and Ayaz.

12 minutes ago, YM! said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-disneys-wish-and-ridley-scotts-napoleon/

3-Day (FSS) Opening Weekend Tracking Range: $45M-$65M

Domestic Total Tracking Range: $185M-$289M

Even the low end would be pretty good, impressive. 

Charlie had already said a few hours earlier in the tracking thread that the pre-sales were impressive, but honestly would be cool to see it get close to 300M.

• Like 1

Been thinking for a while this had the chance to be the biggest movie of the holidays. I don’t think it will make Frozen or Zootopia numbers, and maybe it’s just my social circle which is biased towards Disney Adults/animation fans, but it’s been getting the strongest promo I’ve seen for an original Disney animated movie since probably Moana, even getting a boost from Disney 100/Once Upon a Studio stuff. It also helps that this is taking from the most successful, most iconic, most loved form of a “Disney movie”. Princesses, castles, catchy songs, cute sidekicks, the whole nine yards. Just need that good ol' 85% on Rotten Tomatoes and a bunch of "Disney does it again" review quotes, and we're golden.

There’s even kind of a nostalgia effect going on where the kids that saw Tangled and Frozen back then are now old enough where they can go all “OMG MY CHILDHOOD” for a Disney movie that’s just like what they saw as kids...that feels very weird to write.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric Fazbear said:

Been thinking for a while this had the chance to be the biggest movie of the holidays. I don’t think it will make Frozen or Zootopia numbers, and maybe it’s just my social circle which is biased towards Disney Adults/animation fans, but it’s been getting the strongest promo I’ve seen for an original Disney animated movie since probably Moana, even getting a boost from Disney 100/Once Upon a Studio stuff. It also helps that this is taking from the most successful, most iconic, most loved form of a “Disney movie”. Princesses, castles, catchy songs, cute sidekicks, the whole nine yards. Just need that good ol' 85% on Rotten Tomatoes and a bunch of "Disney does it again" review quotes, and we're golden.

There’s even kind of a nostalgia effect going on where the kids that saw Tangled and Frozen back then are now old enough where they can go all “OMG MY CHILDHOOD” for a Disney movie that’s just like what they saw as kids...that feels very weird to write.

Wonka and Migration are the only legit competition here. It's looking grim for The Marvels and if Marvel can't get butts in seats, DC has no hope.

I wonder if it can become the highest grossing movie based on an original screenplay DOM post-COVID (currently held by Sound of Freedom's $184m).

Edited by Bob Train

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Wonka and Migration are the only legit competition here. It's looking grim for The Marvels and if Marvel can't get butts in seats, DC has no hope.

I wonder if it can become the highest grossing movie based on an original screenplay DOM post-COVID (currently held by Sound of Freedom's $184m).

You know, I've also thought that...BUT, I asked my movie whisperer what the next movie he wants to see is after FNAF...and his next movie is Aquaman.  Now, this kid didn't watch Flash or Blue Beetle, so he's not a DC fan.  But, what he seems to be is a pulse on the Fortnite/Minecraft/Roblox tween boy community...

So, I was hugely down on Aquaman...but then he told me this tonight...and my kids were the ones that informed my thoughts on TMNT and FNAF as the breakouts of Aug-Oct (not to mention Mario and Spidey earlier this year - my girls get credit for my thoughts on Barbie:)...

So, maybe there is something to Aquaman and the cool factor still selling to the younger male audience...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1