YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

31 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Mate, I can give you the Paltrow scene as it helped establish character all round, but the Jackson Pollock line in what remains ultimately a family/broad product and Drax's "Whore" line about Gamora in GOTG2 are the two most tacky and classless moments in the MCU.

Gunn is great, but the very nature of him and his background means that he is good for at least one moment of legitimately misjudged crassness per product. One might consider it part of the appeal, but it doesn't prevent it from still being the case.

Whore line  by Drax is weird. Honestly just find the Jackson -pollock line fine and him having back and forth with rocket also just beefs up the whole scene.

It's still leagues better than the twerk scene which is just pointless . Like they even zoom in for more focus and just keep asking why? .

Atleast the starlord line is showing banter btn two characters and we get a sense of them as characters.

Humour varies from person to person .but even counting out humour, the whole show was riddled with cliches .

She hulk is fun but Jane alter ego is a literal walking stereotype.

20 minutes ago, Derpity said:

He has such irrational dislike for this movie, its kinda weird.

As I’ve said before I’m 100% sure Gitesh posts on these forums so now I just have to weed out all the rock hate posts and figure out which user it is lol. 

Currently looking to hire Benoit Blanc for the job. 

Edited by cax16
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I tried to hold my "a certain return leak helped" for too long but at this point I will say it...

Yes I think The Rock's face looking furiously at us in every single poster is the main reason why this has a good opening but it's hard to not think that pre-sales were sort of anemic a week before release, to the point that some were calling for  a sub-50s ow. And even it's previews number was not indicating a high 60s result.

Let's face it, certain cameo has a fair share of dedicated fans. The actor has grew his fandom enormously since his last appearance as his character and then  there is this part of the audience that wants to see the character thrive.

And yes I know that not saying who the cameo is is stupid since everyone knows it by now. Hell I think the producers and The Rock leaked this intentionally.  They were doing fan screening with no NDA.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel
  • Like 2

Oh yeah and as far as Shazam goes... I think the comparison here won't work. Shazam was sandwiched between two huge cbms that were playing  for the same audience and did not have The Rock. Shazam was coming after a 1B Captain Marvel film, which had already wet the audience's appetite for comic book films and less than a month after its release it had to deal with the biggest comic book film in history (Endgame).

BPWF will be huge of course bust still not as big as Endgame.

Plus, ER right now are very shitty for Europe's huge markets.

I

I was always surprised people doubted Black Adam would do well. Johnson being a draw in blockbusters like this + superhero genre + complete lack of 4-quad tentpoles since summer meant it had a lot going for it. The drops the next few weekends will paint a clearer picture for it but for now, one has to imagine WB is happy with this opening (lord knows they could use a positive headline with all the turmoil they seem to be having on the inside these days).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was always surprised people doubted Black Adam would do well. Johnson being a draw in blockbusters like this + superhero genre + complete lack of 4-quad tentpoles since summer meant it had a lot going for it. The drops the next few weekends will paint a clearer picture for it but for now, one has to imagine WB is happy with this opening (lord knows they could use a positive headline with all the turmoil they seem to be having on the inside these days).

Ya I don’t think BA is gonna do huge numbers or may not even break even but WBD has to be happy with some good headlines for once in the last few months. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They should have opened this exact film (meaning you know who at end credits) and opened it in late July. it would have opened mid $70s and had free run all summer. Release date was very foolish. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

They should have opened this exact film (meaning you know who at end credits) and opened it in late July. it would have opened mid $70s and had free run all summer. Release date was very foolish. 

Agree to disagree. This fall really needed something that would provide a jolt. The only September/October movies that met or surpassed their pre-release expectations were Smile, The Woman King, and Barbarian (and I guess Ticket to Paradise but that just opened). Everything else has been an underperformer.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I think that’s due to the effects not being finished yet.

Just now, excel1 said:

To be fair no one knew know Thor: Love and Thunder would be such a terrible film...

WB might have imagined that would have legs and gross a billion

I mean release dates and competition is part of the game; if Shazam opened in Dec instead of March 2019 - it might have easily done 600m worldwide..

It is what it is; let's see how BA does.