Eric is Quiet

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just looking at monster openings like WF this weekend, makes me think about just how insane it was that we literally had a movie open to 350 FREAKING MILLION DOLLARS.

Like, let that sink in. I know it's common knowledge at this point, but sometimes it just hits me that something managed to open that big. 

The movie kinda feels forgotten now. 

15 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just looking at monster openings like WF this weekend, makes me think about just how insane it was that we literally had a movie open to 350 FREAKING MILLION DOLLARS.

Like, let that sink in. I know it's common knowledge at this point, but sometimes it just hits me that something managed to open that big. 

I know this isn't the first time the boards has argued this, but I'm kind of coming around to the idea that this may be the peak for opening weekends a la the M*A*S*H* finale/Thriller tbh. At the very least for like 10 more years. Combo of moviegoing attendance on the consistent decline and just what feels possible is starting to shrink. Even the closest candidates like a new Potter or one of the Avatar sequels feel kinda shaky.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Eric Killmonger said:

I know this isn't the first time the boards has argued this, but I'm kind of coming around to the idea that this may be the peak for opening weekends a la the M*A*S*H* finale/Thriller tbh. At the very least for like 10 more years. Combo of moviegoing attendance on the consistent decline and just what feels possible is starting to shrink. Even the closest candidates like a new Potter or one of the Avatar sequels feel kinda shaky.

Ticket price inflation + earlier previews and I think it can happen, the attendance number for OW won't be touched obviously 

• Like 2

Seems only gimmicks, revivals, and build-ups generate truly massive openings. NWH and MoM had real gimmicks.

Have a Harry Potter/SW/MCU/Avatar crossover and see how big an OW can truly be! I mean, blue Force users with magical wizardry and super-human strength? can't go wrong.

• Haha 1

PSA on Strange World - no presales, yet, but my 1st Cinemark at least has assigned a showing set and it's getting SINGLE screened for presales.

I can't remember the last time a Disney Thanksgiving animated got that single screen set - it's pretty much being set up as a throwaway movie for the holiday.

This theater has set 75% of its screens now for that week, and holdovers not named Black Panther still have to get a few, so there's not gonna be a lot of room if this somehow goes nuts when sales start...

I'm not saying it's gonna open Lyle, Lyle or Super Pets level, but I'm not saying it's not, either...

19 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Hopes for the decade rest on A6

Here are my current OW predictions for the announced MCU films. Obviously a lot can change these trajectories (who in 2019 would have thought MCU Spidey 3 would have the 2nd biggest opening of all-time?).....

Wakanda Forever - $180M
Quantumania - $125M

GOTG Vol. 3 - $175M
The Marvels - $130M
Cap: NWO - $135M

Thunderbolts - $130M
Blade - $100M

Deadpool 3 - $210M

Fantastic Four - $150M

Avengers: The Kang Dynasty - $265M

Avengers: Secret Wars - $310M