Eric Prime

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

The word "Avengers" doesn't guarantee they will be on the level of IW and EG. We haven't had the real build up for either of these like we did for 6 years leading to IW. Kang's been a blip so far (no pun intended) and we've had nothing for Secret Wars yet.

I find it odd they're not warming up with a starter Avengers movie first to establish character dynamics and relationships. None of the characters would have even met before Kang Dynasty before being thrown into the messy plot. It would be like starting the last saga with Infinity War. 

Edited by snarkmachine
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, snarkmachine said:

I find it odd they're not warming up with a starter Avengers movie first to establish character dynamics and relationships. None of the characters would have even met before Kang Dynasty before being thrown into the messy plot. 

Agreed. It's going to be very difficult and take Markus and McFeely level writing for the next Avengers team and movies to have anywhere close to the same impact.

Like, with the Young Avengers movie we know is coming...I'm sorry but I just don't buy it yet. I think about a team-up of Kate Bishop, Ms. Marvel, Stature etc. etc. And yeah....thump. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, M37 said:

I'll not only co-sign, but go one step further:

I think you can draw a nice little triangle of TFA --> Endgame --> NWH in terms of their opening week gross ($391-->$474-->$386) and literally map out the peak of modern box office grosses. From an OW/Week hype and grossing potential perspective, IMO the best BO days are in the rear view mirror, in that I don't believe anything is topping those marks for a very, very long time*

The longest gap between OW records since Jaws is only 4.5 years (Lost World to Harry Potter), and it might be 10-15 years for ticket prices to inflate enough at current admit levels to reach even $300M, let alone challenge Endgame

960x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=960

List courtesy of Forbes

Even from a total gross perspective, maybe you get something like an Avatar/Titanic (aka TGM) that comes along and with great WOM and accumulates a high total over time, but I won't be surprised if $800M DOM stays out out reach for a while too*. In some ways, NWH and TGM - both a mix of modern story but also nostalgia - might have been the last hurrah, with the Batman/MoM/JWD/Thor/BPWF level as the new baseline level for tentpoles

And sure, some of this is the result of the pandemic, but I believe it just accelerated the process that was already beginning, which is as streaming options pulled away more casual viewers, movies are becoming a more upscale/high priced, experience driven - rather than content - entertainment. Unless it reverses (and I don't think it will) that leads to a smaller theatrical audience (fewer admissions), but with a much larger emphasis on PLF

*No, I haven't forgotten what film comes out next month. There's a reason I started an Under club...

ROTJ still the most impressive record breaker IMO. 160% the proceeding record.

Enjoyed the film.

The highs are higher than the first, but there are periods of bloatedness not present in the first.

Angela Bassett was the goddamn MVP. And I'm so glad the humor was not force fed down our throats and the sadness and grief given proper importance.

Good villain, too. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

I find it odd they're not warming up with a starter Avengers movie first to establish character dynamics and relationships. None of the characters would have even met before Kang Dynasty before being thrown into the messy plot. It would be like starting the last saga with Infinity War. 

I would argue that Phase 5 is going to that. With movies like Thunderbolts, The Marvels, and Captain America 4. The landscape from AoU to Infinity War is vastly different and a lot of that build came from the Phase 3 movies.  Also I´m happy that they don´t start with another Avengers movies before Kang Dynasti because it would feel underwhelming in my opinon. I don´t really see them going back to "normal" Avengers movies after IW and Endgame. 

31 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Yeah I feel like the "no avengers until final phase of the saga" approach will prove to be a massive blunder, but... Oh well, nothing to do but wait

• Like 2