Eric Prime

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

24 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Doubling 24 hour views is normal.

The quoted statistics are off. The Avatar trailer had about 31m views in its first 24 hours on YouTube and now has 117m+, so it has near-quadrupled its 24-hour YouTube views in 11 days.

I don't know whether a big blockbuster trailer doubling its 24-hour views in 11 days is typical — I suspect it isn't, especially for heavily frontloaded movie trailers like Marvel's — but what I do know is that both the Avatar 2 trailer and the teaser (which had around 35m 24-hour YouTube views and now has over 216m, or over 6x as many) had far greater viewership "legs" than any major blockbuster trailer that I know of.

And to illustrate that with an example, the Thor 4 teaser had 25%+ higher 24-hour viewership on YouTube than the Avatar 2 teaser — about 44m to 35m views — but the Avatar 2 teaser now has close to double the views of the Thor 4 teaser on YouTube.

Edited by hw64

9 minutes ago, hw64 said:

I really don't understand this in the slightest. In what way would — at the low end — 53-54m admissions, worse than Top Gun: Maverick and No Way Home in the past year alone (let alone comparing it to pre-pandemic movies), be anywhere near as good a performance as the biggest movie domestically in a decade since The Phantom Menace in 1999?

And that's even without going into the way in which Avatar made its money, which puts the impressiveness of its performance far beyond its raw ticket sales.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

WF's 180M (likely over with actuals) is a great retention from the first movie, no? Given the circumstances (losing the leading man) coming this close to MoM OW (a movie whose trailer was atatched at the end of NWH!) is a great achievment. Not trying to put down MoM but credit where it's due.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, hw64 said:

The quoted statistics are off. The Avatar trailer had about 31m views in its first 24 hours on YouTube and now has 117m+, so it has near-quadrupled its 24-hour YouTube views in 11 days.

I don't know whether a big blockbuster trailer doubling its 24-hour views in 11 days is typical — I suspect it isn't, especially for heavily frontloaded movie trailers like Marvel's — but what I do know is that both the Avatar 2 trailer and the teaser (which had around 35m 24-hour YouTube views and now has over 216m, or over 6x as many) had far greater viewership "legs" than any major blockbuster trailer that I know of.

Did not know that. Quadrupling is definitely impressive, yeah.

Updated PostTrak held up throughout the weekend at 5 stars and 93% positive (the first one was 95%), an 85% definite recommend (BP was 88%), and a huge share of Black and Latino/Hispanic audiences at respectively at 43% and 22% (BP was 40% and 18%).

The big difference here between part 2 and part 1: a huge turnout from women over 25 for Wakanda which pulled in 32%, and also gave the MCU sequel its highest grade at 97%. That demo only repped 23% on the first Black Panther. Men over 25 showed up next at 31% (91% grade); they repped 27% on the first chapter. Men under 25 repped 21% (88% grade) vs. 29% on Black Panther. Women under 25 showed up at 15%, a lower share than BP‘s 21%, however, gave the Letitia Wright-Angela Bassett-Lupita Nyong-o sequel a 96% grade.

Proof that word of mouth is in full effect: PostTrak shows that 56% of those who watched Wakanda Forever bought their ticket either the day of or the day before they saw it this weekend, versus 44% who bought their tickets in advance.

Also in PostTrak exits, 55% said they went to see Wakanda Forever because it’s part of a franchise they love, while 44% says it’s because it’s an MCU title, and 42% the cast as a whole.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

MCU fanbase was way smaller in 2016 than it is in 2022.

Civil War today be opening to No Way Home levels.

Civil War was during phase 3 and was getting close to peak MCU.

Even still it was not a cultural phenomenon like NWH.

I knew they were going to land the OW right at $180 million.

That's definitely going to go up. Sunday will definitely be higher by up to $5 million. Saturday will also probably be slightly higher when it's all been counted and "hanging chads" have been recorded (for those that even remember what hanging chads are).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

WF's 180M (likely over with actuals) is a great retention from the first movie, no? Given the circumstances (losing the leading man) coming this close to MoM OW (a movie whose trailer was atatched at the end of NWH!) is a great achievment. Not trying to put down MoM but credit where it's due.

I was thinking in the 170M range tbh even if Chadwick was alive. Black Panther’s always been more of a Jurassic World or Force Awakens IMO, where the first movie had a huge overperformance and had nowhere to go but down. So holding onto 90% on the opening is rock solid IMO

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Updated PostTrak held up throughout the weekend at 5 stars and 93% positive (the first one was 95%), an 85% definite recommend (BP was 88%), and a huge share of Black and Latino/Hispanic audiences at respectively at 43% and 22% (BP was 40% and 18%).

The big difference here between part 2 and part 1: a huge turnout from women over 25 for Wakanda which pulled in 32%, and also gave the MCU sequel its highest grade at 97%. That demo only repped 23% on the first Black Panther. Men over 25 showed up next at 31% (91% grade); they repped 27% on the first chapter. Men under 25 repped 21% (88% grade) vs. 29% on Black Panther. Women under 25 showed up at 15%, a lower share than BP‘s 21%, however, gave the Letitia Wright-Angela Bassett-Lupita Nyong-o sequel a 96% grade.

Proof that word of mouth is in full effect: PostTrak shows that 56% of those who watched Wakanda Forever bought their ticket either the day of or the day before they saw it this weekend, versus 44% who bought their tickets in advance.

Also in PostTrak exits, 55% said they went to see Wakanda Forever because it’s part of a franchise they love, while 44% says it’s because it’s an MCU title, and 42% the cast as a whole.

Damn. Borderline A+ Cinemascore it seems. 

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I think that members of the Avengers fighting each other didn't appeal like Spideys across 3 different franchises working together. Also, I think that it didn't feel like it moved the needle much at least for GA who didn't care about power levels (aka who wins a Streve vs Tony fight, etc). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Killmonger said:

I was thinking in the 170M range tbh even if Chadwick was alive. Black Panther’s always been more of a Jurassic World or Force Awakens IMO, where the first movie had a huge overperformance and had nowhere to go but down. So holding onto 90% on the opening is rock solid IMO

Exactly! :)

Does anyone know how OS OW compares to the first movie? I missed so much so catching up as I go.

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Civil War def wasn't close to peak MCU. AOU has dented it and MCU fatigue was real conversation. It took Phase 3 and brilliant 2016 & 2017 to turn the tide and Infinity War sealing the deal in 2018 for peak MCU.

3 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Because it was coming off of NWH and promised to be a big deal for the future of the MCU.

And doctor strange 2 lived up to this promise, no? MoM would have introduced concept of multiverse first not NWH if it was released before NWH as originally planned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$180m is a fantastic opening, but I am surprised it opened under MoM. I’m sure it’ll leg it out and beat it in the long run. 

How does the $150m international start compare to the previous film in the same markets? 

Month could also factor in under MoM though actual could be closer than estimate. I want to know too about OS (which I aslo expect to go up with actuals cause estimates tend to be underreported).

Edited by Valonqar