Eric Prime

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

8 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

I don't know about the US but in the UK the Indiana Jones films are shown on the main TV channels every Christmas or Easter. They have never fallen out of popular consciousness, unlike TOP GUN, which I think did during the 90s and 00s in the UK.

This is untrue. Top Gun has always been hugely iconic in the UK, easily Tom Cruise's most iconic movie. You could here any song from that movie and instantly think of Top Gun. It never fell out of popular consciousness or it wouldn't have managed the gross it did

2 hours ago, Jonan23 said:

It got me thinking about box office what ifs

Glass Onion

Turning Red

Soul 

Disenchanted 

I've also wondered how 

The Tomorrow War 

Prey

CODA 

Would have done 

Glass onion would have had the highest gross with around 200m I think

Turning Red didn't really have broad appeal so probably would have flopped regardless. 

Soul I'd guess around 150m, it's not like any of these animations are highly spoke about

Disenchanted would have been a different movie if it was released in cinemas. To me it just screamed 'made for tv' by its complete lack of a proper story. It just felt fitting as a streaming property.

Prey - around 50m ish

Tomorrow war i have no clue, if it was 10 years ago then i'd say 90m

Tenet and Wonder woman are big what ifs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, SullyJake said:

The world cup is such a huge event that alot of europeans would rather watch all the games than go to the cinema 

See it's reasons like this that I never even make predictions nor care about international box office. I can't make projections on things I have no idea about.

4 minutes ago, jedijake said:

See it's reasons like this that I never even make predictions nor care about international box office. I can't make projections on things I have no idea about.

This is also first time for WC to be held in Nov/Dec. Nobody is on holiday and a lot of people more likely to catch games on TV in free time rather than make trip to cinema.

Not sure what impact WC has in States, but with such a multicultural population and the game itself seemingly rising in popularity, it's probably keeping some away from the cinema.

1 hour ago, SullyJake said:

The world cup is such a huge event that alot of europeans would rather watch all the games than go to the cinema 

Yeah. A lot of people watch every single game and their whole lives revolve around the event for 3 weeks.

It's like a religion.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jedijake said:

We like to make a day of our country playing. So if theres a 7pm kickoff it rights off the enitre day as most fans will be drunk long before that

I had to book 9 imax tickets for Avatar on the 16th because no-one wanted to miss any of the games, or be hungover for the movie. It's like the American superbowl but lasts for a months

and theres more alcohol consumption.

Doesn't matter to Europeans if its your favourite movie of all time coming out, a world cup group stage game is still more important 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mulder said:

Why would Indy 5 do under Crystal Skull unadjusted? Genuine question.

Sins of the father (aka previous movie quality affecting next movie gross).

Series feels done - the longer the series, the harder it is to draw anyone new, so all you usually do is bleed fans

Movie quality - right now, I don't see a good plot with an 80 year old lead

Bad starting concept - 80 year old man as action hero lead and heart throb is gonna be a reach, where it wasn't for the last movie...80 is not the new 60...

GA appealing in a movie ticket pricing and economic environment not seeming to be too appealing to GA

Little appeal to the biggest current theater goers 13-35s - what young person is gonna want to see geriatric action hero?

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 5

attendance is down from pandemic levels  but if a film has mass appeal people will come to theaters in droves.

No Way home and Top Gun became all time top 5 films of all time in the past 12 months alone. 

Like I watched 2007 Transformers and like Hollywood does not make fun cool blockbusters like that anymore.

Now same say audience taste have changed but TOP GUN was raw 80s nostalgia trip with minimal CGI and No Way Home was a 2000s and 2010s nostalgia trip as well. 

I think Hollywood has lost its ability to make wide appealing films like in the past and many of its films no longer appeal to mass audiences as much.

Like I think Avatar 2 will be a smash hit I think if its a good quality cause James Cameron knows how to make mass appeal films.

Edited by Torontofan

17 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

No Way home and Top Gun became all time top 5 films of all time in the past 12 months alone. 

Yeah, but they got there in part because of much higher ATP than even just a few years ago. Ticket sales were probably more in Jurassic World and Incredibles 2 range respectively, which is still good, but not anywhere to close to other top 5 films TFA and Endgame, and still below Black Panther 

12 minutes ago, M37 said:

Yeah, but they got there in part because of much higher ATP than even just a few years ago. Ticket sales were probably more in Jurassic World and Incredibles 2 range respectively, which is still good, but not anywhere to close to other top 5 films TFA and Endgame, and still below Black Panther 

We could use the same argument against Endgame and TFA in comparison to Jurassic Park,ET,Titanic,etc

38 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

attendance is down from pandemic levels  but if a film has mass appeal people will come to theaters in droves.

Like I watched 2007 Transformers and like Hollywood does not make fun cool blockbusters like that anymore.

Now same say audience taste have changed but TOP GUN was raw 80s nostalgia trip with minimal CGI and No Way Home was a 2000s and 2010s nostalgia trip as well. 

I think Hollywood has lost its ability to make wide appealing films like in the past and many of its films no longer appeal to mass audiences as much.

Like I think Avatar 2 will be a smash hit I think if its a good quality cause James Cameron knows how to make mass appeal films.

Cinemas wont recover. The options are just too limited. Comedy used to be my favourite genre but it just doesn't exist now. 

Ticket prices aren't getting cheaper whilst theatrical windows are becoming so small that it's hard not to just wait to watch films at home, unless it's a movie that warrants the big screen which are rare these days.

Early fans of the MCU are becoming too old to commit themselves to every movie now whilst new comers don't have the incredible talent of people like RDJ to get them onboard, so that genre has already started to see a decline.

Star Wars isn't even an event anymore, they've become just throwaway TV shows.

By the time hollywood realise they put all their eggs in 1 basket, it will be too late to break the habbit of staying home instead. I used to love movies, now I rarely watch them, even at home. Maybe it's my age, but I think its actually just a lack of good content

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

We could use the same argument against Endgame and TFA in comparison to Jurassic Park,ET,Titanic,etc

Sure, but those are 20-30 year gaps and corresponding ATP inflation, not just 3-7 years. Nobody would argue NWH was on Titanic level of admits, but my point was that it’s still below recent high-grossers with the rapid rise in ATP  

• Like 2