Eric the Fall Guy

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

9 minutes ago, M37 said:

Sure, but those are 20-30 year gaps and corresponding ATP inflation, not just 3-7 years. Nobody would argue NWH was on Titanic level of admits, but my point was that it’s still below recent high-grossers with the rapid rise in ATP  

Tangent: Imagine a film with A2’s ATP and Titanic’s domestic ticket sales 🤤🤤

That would be $1.8-1.9B

Just now, Toruk Makto XXR said:

It’s not a lack of good content.

What was the last good comedy?

10 years ago there was 5 comedies in the top 50 worldwide grossing hits totalling to over 1.5b in gross.

This year there isn't a single comedy in the top 50. The content just isn't there therefore attendance wont be. Every studio seems to be trying to target the same audience and it's no sustainable

20 minutes ago, SullyJake said:

Cinemas wont recover. The options are just too limited. Comedy used to be my favourite genre but it just doesn't exist now. 

Ticket prices aren't getting cheaper whilst theatrical windows are becoming so small that it's hard not to just wait to watch films at home, unless it's a movie that warrants the big screen which are rare these days.

Early fans of the MCU are becoming too old to commit themselves to every movie now whilst new comers don't have the incredible talent of people like RDJ to get them onboard, so that genre has already started to see a decline.

Star Wars isn't even an event anymore, they've become just throwaway TV shows.

By the time hollywood realise they put all their eggs in 1 basket, it will be too late to break the habbit of staying home instead. I used to love movies, now I rarely watch them, even at home. Maybe it's my age, but I think its actually just a lack of good content

Comdies are a dead genre for cinemas 

cause before you go with friend watch a comedy that pushes the edge.

Now a lot of these comedies are very tame or very niche. 

Like I watch comedy films from 2010 or before, they were wild and didnt have much limits lol 

Comedy films would be the bread and butter of cinemas as they are cheap to make and would release between major films keeping theaters a bit busy

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SullyJake said:

By the time hollywood realise they put all their eggs in 1 basket, it will be too late to break the habbit of staying home instead. I used to love movies, now I rarely watch them, even at home. Maybe it's my age, but I think its actually just a lack of good content

At this point I'm not even sure hollywood cares about theaters surviving. Disney and WB sure as fuck don't.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, M37 said:

Sure, but those are 20-30 year gaps and corresponding ATP inflation, not just 3-7 years. Nobody would argue NWH was on Titanic level of admits, but my point was that it’s still below recent high-grossers with the rapid rise in ATP  

But didn't the pandemic potentially steal millions of ticket buyers away from both NWH and TGM especially the latter which had a heavy older crowd as part of the mix?

9 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

But didn't the pandemic potentially steal millions of ticket buyers away from both NWH and TGM especially the latter which had a heavy older crowd as part of the mix?

Canada alone likely took No way home down 20 -30 million dollars I feel.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Pinocchio was blasted by all critics, the film has a 28% on rt for christ's sake. This post reminds me of a thread I saw on r/italy about the supposed disrespect and cultural appropriation from the film.

It was made by an american, he was the only one outraged, and all comments proceeded to mock him.

There were 2 Pinocchios released in 2022, both by streamers:

A live-action version from Disney+ with Tom Hanks, directed by Robert Zemeckis.

This is the one sitting at 28 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

A stop-motion musical version from Netflix, directed by Guillermo del Toro:

Currently at 96 percent on RT. The awards bloggers think it's likely to get into Best Animated Feature and contend for the Oscar. Stop-motion had an iffy box office track record even in the best of times, so IDK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Currently at 96 percent on RT. The awards bloggers think it's likely to get into Best Animated Feature and contend for the Oscar. Stop-motion had an iffy box office track record even in the best of times, so IDK.

The quality difference between the two is enormous. One has a beloved director go on autopilot and make one of his worst film and maybe the laziest of the Disney remakes while the other also has a beloved director making one of his best films and likely my favorite animated movie this year.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

How dare you forget the third one. The most iconic of them all

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

3 hours ago, SullyJake said:

Glass onion would have had the highest gross with around 200m I think

Turning Red didn't really have broad appeal so probably would have flopped regardless. 

Soul I'd guess around 150m, it's not like any of these animations are highly spoke about

Disenchanted would have been a different movie if it was released in cinemas. To me it just screamed 'made for tv' by its complete lack of a proper story. It just felt fitting as a streaming property.

Prey - around 50m ish

Tomorrow war i have no clue, if it was 10 years ago then i'd say 90m

Tenet and Wonder woman are big what ifs

I think Turning Red, Soul and Luca would've done better than Encanto and Lightyear theatrically, at least. Hell, Luca and Turning Red were top ranked streaming titles with Luca being the most streamed film last year. In non pandemic times, I think they'd all have been in the 200m domestic range.

Edited by YM!

Just now, Legion By Night said:

Encanto has had monstrous streaming nums but missed 100M. I think Soul had really big potential but I wouldn’t expect the other two to hit 100M tbh.

Pre pandemic, I see no reason why any of the four would've done under 150m domestic. Encanto was also hit the hardest by streaming.

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

Pre pandemic, I see no reason why any of the four would've done under 150m domestic. Encanto was also hit the hardest by streaming.

Well, pre-pandemic and “given a theatrical release post pandemic” are different scenarios. Pre-pandemic I’d guess:

Soul 350

Encanto 220

Luca 180

TR 150

but theatrical release post pandemic everything is lower

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YM! said:

I think Turning Red, Soul and Luca would've done better than Encanto and Lightyear theatrically, at least. Hell, Luca and Turning Red were top ranked streaming titles with Luca being the most streamed film last year. In non pandemic times, I think they'd all have been in the 200m domestic range.

I take info like this with a pinch of salt as I've had Luca and Encanto play on my TV about 10 times and no-one in my household as actually seen them all the way through. Parents love putting colourful animations like this on in the background for babies and toddlers, it doesn't mean I would have paid to go theatres 10 times to see them

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Encanto has had monstrous streaming nums but missed 100M. I think Soul had really big potential but I wouldn’t expect the other two to hit 100M tbh.

yeah, it's a funny thing. I think Soul had huge BO potential in USA but I think Encanto, Luca & Turning Red will have more longevity in the end no matter BO. Just look at Moana & it's small BO compared to some other animation hits.

Edited by InVy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SullyJake said:

I take info like this with a pinch of salt as I've had Luca and Encanto play on my TV about 10 times and no-one in my household as actually seen them all the way through. Parents love putting colourful animations like this on in the background for babies and toddlers, it doesn't mean I would have paid to go theatres 10 times to see them

But at the very least the target audience liked it. Make no mistake, I understand that component of streaming but the target audience genuinely liked the movies it seemed. Lightyear has still failed to gain any sort of traction on streaming with it's target audience and was able to coast to 115m domestic. Pets 2 tops the Netflix chart for a while and did around 150m domestic, I don't see why couldn't a Pixar or WDAS movie do about the same with the usual strong reviews and a good marketing campaign. 

Also Encanto was pretty big for a while even outside of streaming. It was trending on social media for a minute, you couldn't escape We Don’t Talk About Bruno on your TikTok feed back in like February to March.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

He was obviously not talking about Del Toro's though.