Eric the Fall Guy

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

And hope the boost in traffic will be enough to cover their costs? Movie theaters aren't libraries, they have rent/leases to worry about. But the huge attendance for National Cinema Day does tell you that there's still a big interest in theaters. They could probably experiment with different gimmicks beyond Cheap Tuesdays or a once a year $3 ticket promo.

Though I do feel fortunate that movie tickets can still be cheaply had where I live, so I don't really relate to the complaints about prices. I've always favored matinees and don't really care about premium formats, which cuts down on the costs a lot.

I know ERC sucks, but they had the perfect strategy when it came to making movies play longer. Keep films at their normal price, and then after like they drop down a certain threshold, move the price down to $3-5 a ticket. You keep the premium prices for people who will see a movie right away, it helps boost attendance for films, improves legs, and the longer a movie plays is when the theaters get a bigger share anyways, so it's not like the studios are missing much from the ticket price downgrade. It also helps incentivize buying concessions since the prices are lower. Seems like the perfect solution.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

And hope the boost in traffic will be enough to cover their costs? Movie theaters aren't libraries, they have rent/leases to worry about. But the huge attendance for National Cinema Day does tell you that there's still a big interest in theaters. They could probably experiment with different gimmicks beyond Cheap Tuesdays or a once a year $3 ticket promo.

Though I do feel fortunate that movie tickets can still be cheaply had where I live, so I don't really relate to the complaints about prices. I've always favored matinees and don't really care about premium formats, which cuts down on the costs a lot.

Not saying movies need to be $3 a piece but even bringing the avg ticket price down to say 8-9 and not charging 7.50 for nachos would help

7 hours ago, Maggie said:

But seriously now, the demo being this young shows Chalamet has a fanbase. He's a star and has a bright future.

Think you missing the part where it only did 3.5M. that's more important one.

Besides who else would even watch it? 18-34 is the target audience. 

I like Timmy but he is no STAR. no one from Hollywood is with Rock and Leo barely making it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, YM! said:
  1. Indiana Jones 5 - $175m/$550m
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 - $205m/$450m 
  3. The Little Mermaid - $125m/$160m/$425m
  4. Aquaman 2 - $90m/$380m
  5. The Super Mario Bros Movie - $105m/$360m
  6. The Marvels - $125m/$300m
  7. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - $105m/$120m/$295m
  8. Blue Beetle - $80m/$235m
  9. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning - $90m/$235m
  10. Dune Part 2 - $75m/$225m

Potential 200m+ hitters:

- Fantastic Beasts numbers for Hunger Games

- 200-225m for Wonka as it seems like a holiday favorite.

- Out of all the animation, Illumination has become the biggest brand at the box office so Migration seems likely for 200m.

- Trolls 3 could do 200m as Dreamworks seems to be rebounding.

- Wish is Disney’s only tentpole this holiday and 100th year thing so I think they’ll push it.

- Across the SpiderVerse is in a situation where it will get fucked over by all sides because the nostalgic toy commercials are too strong but we will see if the love of the first is strong enough.

- Elemental could do well but whenever Disney does a six week sandwich of film release, the one in the middle gets fucked.

- Flash depends on how much the Ezra stuff will hurt, it could do sub 200m or 300m+ and neither would surprise me.

- Barbie reminds me of Detective Pikachu and WB is incompetent at selling family films (cause in point being Pikachu and all of the WAG movies).

- Oppenheimer seems more of a 100m hitter and with The Marvels so close I imagine a Matrix 4 situation where Oppenheimer just gets IMAX and The Marvels takes all other PLFs and then IMAX after the week is over.

PLEASE tell me that you didn't mean $550 m domestic for Inday5! Even adjusted, Indy 4 wasn't close to that.

Edited by jedijake

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

1. Little Mermaid ($420m)

2. GOTG3 ($360m)

3. Aquaman 2 (thanks holidays) ($340m)

4, Hunger Games Songbirds and Snakes ($300m)

5. Ant Man QM ($280m)

After TGM, I think Indy 5 may surprise otherwise predicted it to be meh. Otherwise GOTG3 should easily win the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toruk Makto XXR said:

Idk about "loves to go to the movies" but yes there was a poll taken that reflected A2 was most anticipated movie for the rest of the year. It should be mentioned though that the poll was taken after BPWF came out so it's not like there's much else to choose from on that front. 

I also thought their #2 most anticipated movie was Strange World...and seeing the Strange World box office, that poll obviously didn't mean anything...

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

After TGM, I think Indy 5 may surprise otherwise predicted it to be meh. Otherwise GOTG3 should easily win the year.

After TGM, I think MI: 7 may surprise - all those TGM viewers got the trailer, and I thought it was very good.

And who wants to doubt Tom right now?  If we're talking movie stars of the moment, he's on his own tier...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

After TGM, I think MI: 7 may surprise - all those TGM viewers got the trailer, and I thought it was very good.

And who wants to doubt Tom right now?  If we're talking movie stars of the moment, he's on his own tier...

I am hoping for that. MI deserves a lot more than what they doing especially the last three parts are absolute masterpieces.

• Like 1

I think people are clinging to Indy 5 as the next nostalgic reboot to save the cinematic world. Doesn't work like that. It didn't work back when Indy 4 came out (did well but not extremely well). It didn't work with any Terminator movie or Ghostbusters movie. Sure it worked with SW and JW, but Indy had its chance already. I'd LOVE for it to surprise us, but I am just not feeling it. Harrison Ford is my favorite action star, but he's 80. Nobody knows Phoebe Bridges or whatever her name is. And TGM had those big POV jet fighter scenes that looked cool on the big screen (apparently).

And if this nostalgia thing IS the way to go, where's our next BTTF movie? What about ET, Goonies or Gremlins?

Maybe TGM had something else. Quite honestly, I don't see it, but enough others did. But I don't think it is a pattern or trend that can be applied to other properties.

• Like 1

A well-received INDIANA JONES 5 would more realistically do $400-450m than $500m+ domestic.  But it is being released bang in the middle of a crowded summer which could harm it regardless of the reception.

Internationally however it could be the biggest movie of the year. All three of the 80s movies were the biggest of their year internationally and the "poorly received" CRYSTAL SKULL only lost out to THE DARK KNIGHT by a few million.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Internationally however it could be the biggest movie of the year. All three of the 80s movies were the biggest of their year internationally and the "poorly received" CRYSTAL SKULL only lost out to THE DARK KNIGHT by a few million.

That was when Europe + Japan = International BO

• Like 3

Not speaking for everybody, but my predictions for Indiana Jones doing 500M is not a case of "oh it has to save theaters" or that because TGM did it. It just has a lot of strong factors behind it. It's Harrison Ford back in his most iconic role, a strong creative team, a solid pre-Fourth of July release date, nostalgia towards a super iconic IP, the Disney machine behind it, and the whole "oh noes Crystal Skull was bad" argument doesn't hold any water because there's been a long gap between installments. It'll be 15 years since that last movie. That's certainly enough time for people to have the bad taste out of their mouth and for a new nostalgia cycle to start again. If Force Awakens can get to nearly a billion despite the prequel trilogy backlash, I think 500M isn't a tall order. And hey, even if it just does ~450M, I'll also be a super happy camper.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Eric Clade said:

I know ERC sucks, but they had the perfect strategy when it came to making movies play longer. Keep films at their normal price, and then after like they drop down a certain threshold, move the price down to $3-5 a ticket. You keep the premium prices for people who will see a movie right away, it helps boost attendance for films, improves legs, and the longer a movie plays is when the theaters get a bigger share anyways, so it's not like the studios are missing much from the ticket price downgrade. It also helps incentivize buying concessions since the prices are lower. Seems like the perfect solution.

The box office historian in me hates variable pricing but then I remember that second run theaters used to be a way bigger thing--prices have always varied a great deal. Theaters have got to do something big (and soon) to compete with apathy and streaming/PVOD. Paying stars millions to rhapsodize about the magic of AMC isn't working.

19 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Not saying movies need to be $3 a piece but even bringing the avg ticket price down to say 8-9 and not charging 7.50 for nachos would help

Not to brag but $7-9 is basically what I pay for matinees now depending on the chain/location, and there's a Phoenix Theaters here with 2D tickets under $7 all day. But I look around the apps and see it's a very different experience in other places. If just 2 tickets alone cost more than a PVOD rental ($19.99), then it's understandable that people are largely skipping theaters outside of spectacle/horror. If the movie goes straight to a streaming service in 30-45 days, of course that cuts down on new and repeat ticket sales.

Not a big concessions person, though I do understand that's where theaters make their money. Cheaper tickets would probably lead to people buying more food/drink.

9 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

A well-received INDIANA JONES 5 would more realistically do $400-450m than $500m+ domestic.  But it is being released bang in the middle of a crowded summer which could harm it regardless of the reception.

But was over $200 million less than TDK domestically.

1 minute ago, Eric Clade said:

Not speaking for everybody, but my predictions for Indiana Jones doing 500M is not a case of "oh it has to save theaters" or that because TGM did it. It just has a lot of strong factors behind it. It's Harrison Ford back in his most iconic role, a strong creative team, a solid pre-Fourth of July release date, nostalgia towards a super iconic IP, the Disney machine behind it, and the whole "oh noes Crystal Skull was bad" argument doesn't hold any water because there's been a long gap between installments. It'll be 15 years since that last movie. That's certainly enough time for people to have the bad taste out of their mouth and for a new nostalgia cycle to start again. If Force Awakens can get to nearly a billion despite the prequel trilogy backlash, I think 500M isn't a tall order. And hey, even if it just does ~450M, I'll also be a super happy camper.

Honestly, I see Indy struggling to break $300M, let alone $500M...and I can see it go a LOT lower (but I want to see the trailer - it doesn't have one yet, does it?)...

It has the great release spot...BUT, that spot doesn't always save a movie...

I mean, TGM officially wiped out the Memorial Day curse.  It had the normally "cursed" spot of the summer and blew everything away...

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1