Eric Prime

Mickey 17 || Warner || January 31, 2025 || Directed by Bong Joon Ho - Starring Robert Pattinson

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

That sounds about right. Wonder if this one has any chance to be a 100M+ DOM earner?

BEYOND THE SPIDER-VERSE opens on the same weekend. Let's hope this still finds a good amount of audience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

BEYOND THE SPIDER-VERSE opens on the same weekend. Let's hope this still finds a good amount of audience.

I'm expecting one of them to move... Mickey if it doesn't wanna deal with Spider Verse. Or, Spider Verse if the decide to movie to summer to maximize box office.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'm expecting one of them to move... Mickey if it doesn't wanna deal with Spider Verse. Or, Spider Verse if the decide to movie to summer to maximize box office.

That's also what I thought since Sony's 2024 summer slate looks anemic. On the othet hand, April 2024 looks barren (at least for now) and BEYOND THE SPIDER-VERSE will enjoy great drops during that month.

17 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Warner has a bit of a gap in late October, that seems the most optimal spot for it assuming nothing else moves

Yeah I’m guessing they’ll show it off at some film festivals (like Cannes) before it gets a wide release

9 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Yeah I’m guessing they’ll show it off at some film festivals (like Cannes) before it gets a wide release

I don't think it will do festivals if it releases at the end of October like some are speculating. This doesn't seem like an awards movie

Edited by Maggie

23 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't think it will do festivals if it releases at the end of October like some are speculating. This doesn't seem like an awards movie

It's a new movie by the guy whose last film is one of the most revered movies of the past couple years. It's going to be an awards films. Probably half the reason they're moving it

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

Well it wasn´t but after test screenings, seems like it is. 

There´s rumours for at least 4 months that this would be delayed because they want a Cannes premiere in May and put it in awards circuit. Pretty much every cinephile was expecting it at this point.

Wb is probably just lying that this needs much more work in post because well, it´s bad to say ´´oh we though the movie wouldn´t be all that good but turns out it is so we´re making you wait even more so we can try some awards´´.

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well it wasn´t but after test screenings, seems like it is. 

There´s rumours for at least 4 months that this would be delayed because they want a Cannes premiere in May and put it in awards circuit. Pretty much every cinephile was expecting it at this point.

Wb is probably just lying that this needs much more work in post because well, it´s bad to say ´´oh we though the movie wouldn´t be all that good but turns out it is so we´re making you wait even more so we can try some awards´´.

So...so...WB didn't think...the Parasite guy's next movie...had awards potential...and are now realizing...what is obvious to everybody? How does a company last for 100 years, but also be this stupid?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

So...so...WB didn't think...the Parasite guy's next movie...had awards potential...and are now realizing...what is obvious to everybody? How does a company last for 100 years, but also be this stupid?

Right? The March date was always stupid since the announcement, it wasn´t the best date for an original to thrive at the box office neither was good for any awards prospects, just bizarre decisions all around.

I know that in paper genre movies isn´t exactly Oscar darlings, but most of them aren´t a comeback for one of the most celebrated auteurs of the century. They shouldn´t need great test screenings to know that, but at least they came to their senses before it was too late.

Edited by ThomasNicole

Everything Everywhere All at Once was released on March, CODA premiered on January. Studios have seen that it's possible not to condense everything in October-December.

But I have nothing to say until there is a confirmed date.

Edited by Lighthouse

This and the Eastwood movie are the closest WB has to awards bets this year (and I guess Joker 2 given the Oscar success of the first one, but that's obviously a commercial play first and foremost) so it depends on which one the prioritize more. They only have that animated Lord of the Rings movie in December so far so whichever one they prioritize more will likely receive the Christmas bow.