Eric S'ennui

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

2 minutes ago, StreamBO said:

Jurassic World Dominion was lower than what i mentioned and reached the billion, it had China but it reached it however. Transformers movies 1-4 made money. My point stand Is not About quality is about knowing exactly what an audience want at the moment, even if you do not give on all other categories for a movie. Transformers from Bay gave action and epicness the new Transformers movies do not and people went for that, because that is what people wanted at the time. 

A movies job is to entertain.

Movies like Top Gun 2 and No Way Home did their job.

Most blockbusters from 2022 did not. 

That's what I mean by quality issue.

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

I hate to sound like a broken record and again if you guys have discussed this already my apologies but the 14 or 17 days over the Christmas break is a gold mine for most movies but especially for something like avatar. It's going to have strong weak days strong weekends kids are going to be off at school until the first week of january. I don't know how much it's going to end up with in North America but is 500 million out of reach? And it probably has a chance to do somewhere near Titanic numbers overall worldwide (1.8 bill) I don't think that's anything to sneeze at.

Yes, but it doesn't have 14-17 days left, it has about 11 including today and two of those days are Christmas Eve/New Years Eve.  

• Like 4

On 12/21/2022 at 7:39 PM, M37 said:

I think Thursday is when we start seeing the weather impacts and increases for Thur and Fri are pretty muted, like +5%/+20%

So like $15/$16 / $20/$13/$22

Re-upping, adjusting for Wed actual, roughly my expectations 

$14.4/$15 / $19/$13.5/$21 = $53.5M 2nd weekend (-60%)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

What makes those opinions stupid?

Because Jake's plan got everyone killed in the first movie and ended with Eywa saving the day to 'protect the balance' of life, a theme evident through the movie. Then his girlfriend killed the bad guy and saved him. Now in A2 the trailers suggest he's putting other clans at risk to protect his family. 

I would get behind the brushed over cultural representation of other cultures hurting the movie if its overseas gross in foreign spoken countries wasn't outperforming english speaking ones. If this was a historical biopic then criticisms would be valid but its a fantasy movies about aliens on another planet that prioritised simple storytelling and effects over detailed representation of histor

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

Re-upping, adjusting for Wed actual, roughly my expectations 

$14.4/$15 / $19/$13.5/$21 = $53.5M 2nd weekend (-60%)

Knock that all down 1% and papa likey

Guess I would gift myself the one month of premium 🤔

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What's Netflix happy about? Everyone will be watching and rewatching Strange World on Disney+.😑

I've got Strange World, Matilda, and Glass Onion lined up for the weekend. So 2 for Netflix and 1 for Disney. I don't know if any other streamer is sneaking anything else out though.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, A Star is Delayed said:

Here are some current weather reports around the country as of 5:00 AM MST.

Portland, 19, freezing rain. 

Cleveland, 2, blowing snow, wind chill -17

South Bend, -7, heavy snow, wind chill -32

Pittsburgh, 18, heavy snow, wind chills forecast to be at or below zero through Sunday

Milwaukee, -7, blowing snow, wind chill -32

Chicago, -8, blowing snow, -30 wind chill, WC forecast to remain below zero through Sunday

Buffalo, 37, blizzard warning in effect, 25-41 inches of snow by Sunday, wind chills below zero through Sunday

Box office is going to take a major hit today.

I always have to remind myself of the fact that americans have weirdo units when I read these numbers

• Haha 1