Eric S'ennui

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

At this point the silver lining for me box office wise is that at least the storm affecting 22 and 24 is better than it affecting 25 to 27. So all I hope is that by the 25th it will have abated enough that more on the fence moviegoers will decide to go. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Netflix executives this weekend:

Breaking Bad Money GIF

The perfect storm, in more ways than one. At least in the US. Not the lucrative Christmas weekend Hollywood was hoping for.

I just saw Glass Onion is now online. That could be a huge beneficiary with lots of people posting about staying home because of snow watching Knives Out.

15 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

So what you're saying is that I win the contest

I'd like to stop the count

Or you can round up by $2-$300K 😉

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I think most of us know that but its more funny if we have premature doomposting

Everyone knows the new goal is 1.8B. Gonna be an absolute riot when no one, but Legion, is happy and Everyone get to doom post! 

43 minutes ago, A Star is Delayed said:

Here are some current weather reports around the country as of 5:00 AM MST.

Portland, 19, freezing rain. 

Excuse you, our current weather is 48°F and downpouring. 😘

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Oh, please. Everyone knows that if DeVito directed all the Potter films they'd have been much more entertaining. He could've cast himself as Voldemort or Dumbledore. Would've been great.

full

1 minute ago, Jonan23 said:

I just saw Glass Onion is now online. That could be a huge beneficiary with lots of people posting about staying home because of snow watching Knives Out.

Glass Onion is great. Doesn't match the heart of the first but it's sharper in it's wit, the cast is more fun and location where much of it takes place is an awesome set piece. People will be raving about it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stokes said:

Because Jake's plan got everyone killed in the first movie and ended with Eywa saving the day to 'protect the balance' of life, a theme evident through the movie. Then his girlfriend killed the bad guy and saved him. Now in A2 the trailers suggest he's putting other clans at risk to protect his family. 

I would get behind the brushed over cultural representation of other cultures hurting the movie if its overseas gross in foreign spoken countries wasn't outperforming english speaking ones. If this was a historical biopic then criticisms would be valid but its a fantasy movies about aliens on another planet that prioritised simple storytelling and effects over detailed representation of histor

We all know the blue aliens symbolize indigenous people. 

And it's kind of fucked up to make billions from the plight of indigenous people while simultaneously insulting them.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 3

37 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

A movies job is to entertain.

Movies like Top Gun 2 and No Way Home did their job.

Most blockbusters from 2022 did not. 

That's what I mean by quality issue.

Thor 4 was so much enterteiment, so much joking that some people said you are enterteining toooo much, stop. 

I watch glass onion today as it’s debuted on uk Netflix, and I almost never watch things as soon as they come out. Slightly mixed feelings about the movie, but eyeballs-wise Netflix will be getting their money’s worth on this one. 

Edited by Hatebox

13 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Oh, please. Everyone knows that if DeVito directed all the Potter films they'd have been much more entertaining. He could've cast himself as Voldemort or Dumbledore. Would've been great.

Why not both?

1 minute ago, StreamBO said:

Avatar 2 is good but what happens if Avatar 2 worldwide comes below Top Gun Maverick. 

We wait for James Cameron's inevitable rant blaming superheroes, young people, streaming, or smartphones.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cap said:

Everyone knows the new goal is 1.8B. Gonna be an absolute riot when no one, but Legion, is happy and Everyone get to doom post! 

Excuse you, our current weather is 48°F and downpouring. 😘

thats-not-true-alex-rider.gif

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, StreamBO said:

Then Transformers 1-4 met that quality

Generally speaking cultural phenomenons like No Way Home and Top Gun 2 are massively successful because they are well executed crowd pleasers.

2022 didn't really have many films that meet that criteria.That was my original point.