Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Whitney Huston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody (SNY): $2.6M intl weekend (31 markets); $2.6M intl cume/$7.9M global

That's what Whitney gets for not having memorable songs like Kylie Minogue's At First Sight or Britney Spears' Break the Ice! Now those are what you call stone-cold classics. 

• Thanks 1

From what I’m seeing, in admittedly skewed markets (Florida cold = movie $$$) Santa might be bringing some good numbers for Avatar especially but also Puss in Boots 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

2 hours ago, RichWS said:

1. Avatar is doing just fine. If you've seen the movie, you know the legs would be there. The hyperbole and hand-wringing over the last week has been insufferable. 

2. I look forward to being the only person in the theater for Babylon tomorrow. 

3. Maybe it's because I'm in my mid-30's with no kids but are we shocked a Puss in Boots movie didn't do well in 2022? I still can't believe they actually made one. I remember no one really caring about the last one ten years ago!

No one was saying Avatar's legs would be bad, but to the expectation of it having OG Avatar or Titanic style legs, no it's not really doing that domestically.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tupek said:

Year since commenting here..

Puss in Boots flopping? All right but, when was the last time DreamWorks Animation had a true and legit hit?

2017 with Boss Baby

nvm, forgot about Dragon 3.

Yeah, Dragon 3 was their last hit even if underperformed in  USA

Edited by Grebacio

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What was everyone's 3 favorite opening weekend threads?

I think mine was Endgame, The Force Awakens, and Deadpool.

The Force Awakens, Interstellar / Big Hero 6 - the meltdowns, and it was probably the peak of when I was posting, and Endgame.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What was everyone's 3 favorite opening weekend threads?

I think mine was Endgame, The Force Awakens, and Deadpool.

Amazing Spider-Man 2. iJack was having a full-on meltdown (and this was back before he was making death threats to fellow members). 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

2017 with Boss Baby

nvm, forgot about Dragon 3.

Yeah, Dragon 3 was their last hit even if underperformed in  USA

Would The Bad Guys be considered a smaller hit? 

Also Dragon 3 is weird because it overperformed opening weekend but had a worse internal multiplier than the previous 2 films and earned less than them domestically despite the largest opening weekend of the 3. A consequence of releasing in Febuary instead of summer when school is out.

1 minute ago, Grebacio said:

With the release of Puss In Boots 2 I must ask, how much do you think a Shrek 5 would gross?

I think Frozen 2 numbers are doable

If it's the same or similar team that was behind Puss in Boots TLW then I do agree as well. As long as Universal stops treating Dreamworks like a secondary to Illumination and actually starts investing more in marketing.