filmlover

Best Picture Predictions: 2023

Seems like the festivals have been low on true duds this year with a few high-profile exceptions like Pain Hustlers and Next Goal Wins (a fitting ending to the New Mutants of prestige films, I guess) and Chris Pine's directorial debut. Even movies that might not go far with awards like Saltburn still have their fans. Even without the stars for the most part, the festivals still had a lot of good news this year.

Post-fests:

1. Oppenheimer

2. Poor Things

3. Killers of the Flower Moon

4. Barbie

5. The Holdovers

6. The Zone of Interest

7. American Fiction 

8. Anatomy of a Fall

9. Maestro

10. Past Lives

11. The Boy and the Heron

12. May December

13. All of Us Strangers

14. Napoleon

15. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

The first four are locks. I feel good about 5-7 but have some reservations (Zone's only noms could be below the line + International while Holdovers and American Fiction may max out at three noms for Pic/One Acting/Screenplay). Anatomy has felt under the radar at its fall festivals; I'm not concerned about it missing Picture yet since there aren't many alternatives. Past Lives needs strong critics support at the big organizations to stay alive for industry voters. If it doesn't win original screenplay at most groups, I would drop it from Picture. I have Maestro as this year's nominee that misses both Director and Screenplay.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Nah. Randolph would defeat Blunt. Blunt is like the 4th most acclaimed performance in the film. Bet Netflix frauds Mulligan

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

The optics of Lily in Supporting weren't great for KotFM's narrative overall so this move makes sense on that level.

Best Actress is going to be absolutely brutal.

Supporting Actress goes to Henson if the strike is over and she can campaign, or Blunt in an Oppenheimer sweep. Maybe Da'Vine Joy Randolph if AMPAS really likes The Holdovers but Giamatti's not winning Best Actor.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Supporting Actress goes to Henson if the strike is over and she can campaign, or Blunt in an Oppenheimer sweep. Maybe Da'Vine Joy Randolph if AMPAS really likes The Holdovers but Giamatti's not winning Best Actor.

meh, Randolph can win even if Giamatti does. she has the reviews to compensate

20 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The optics of Lily in Supporting weren't great for KotFM's narrative overall so this move makes sense on that level.

Best Actress is going to be absolutely brutal.

20 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

meh, Randolph can win even if Giamatti does. she has the reviews to compensate

If 2/3 of Giamatti, Payne, or Editing happen, I can buy Randolph winning, but I'm not predicting nominations for those three at the moment. A Sessa nomination would convince me more on Randolph than Giamatti would tbh.