filmlover

Best Picture Predictions: 2023

I'm not sold yet on an Oppenheimer mega sweep. Nolan feels almost impossible to lose and it'll certainly get most of the techs no matter what, but both Cillian and RDJ and screenplay and BP seems hard. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I'm not sold yet on an Oppenheimer mega sweep. Nolan feels almost impossible to lose and it'll certainly get most of the techs no matter what, but both Cillian and RDJ and screenplay and BP seems hard. 

Best Picture this year kind of feels like last year where the frontrunner just ended up being undeniable due to no major challengers. If anything were to pull a CODA in this year's crop I guess it would be The Holdovers? But that feels like it's going for Supporting Actress (feels like probably the biggest lock out of all categories at this point tbh) + Original Screenplay at most.

Edited by filmlover

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Pretty much the expected line-up for Oscar. I didn't expect them to take Zone of interest and Anatomy of Fall though because PGA tends not to recognize foreign film. 

The lack of certified hits this year prevented some random choices tbh.

This feels pretty safe to be what the final Best Picture roster will look like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Oppenheimer win eight CC but unlike the past three winners which took both directing and screenplay categories, Oppenheimer came with only director win. 

Well it didn't help "The Power of Dog".

Right now Oppy has in his hands pretty strong possible combo with editing - support - director. If Cillian will make a resurgence on Bafta+SAG (it's important to take both of them) ... i don't see who can stop Oppenheimer. 

8 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Are they trying to Andrea riseborough Origin into best picture lineup? 

For those who have forgotten, Frances Fisher was the brains behind the stealth (and controversial) Andrea Riseborough campaign and nomination last year so, keep your eyes on Frances Fisher is all I'm saying!

I seriously think there isn’t any room left for others to last minute sneak in the final 10. This feel like a year where all 10 spots will be taken up even under 6-10 flexible number of nominees. 

But if I have to choose the vulnerable one, Maestro would be the one for potential omission since I don’t think the movie is getting screenplay nomination. That movie got some strange backlash and that is without the movie being super rave or controversial like GB, three billboard, la la land. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I seriously think there isn’t any room left for others to last minute sneak in the final 10. This feel like a year where all 10 spots will be taken up even under 6-10 flexible number of nominees. 

But if I have to choose the vulnerable one, Maestro would be the one for potential omission since I don’t think the movie is getting screenplay nomination. That movie got some strange backlash and that is without the movie being super rave or controversial like GB, three billboard, la la land. 

Maestro still feels pretty safe since it's Netflix's clear #1 at this point with the industry nominations it has picked up and May December losing a lot of momentum after big shutouts in recent weeks, even if it might not translate to much in the way of actual wins. Still thinking the PGA nominations are what we're getting since nothing else looks strong enough to make it (Color Purple might have been a filler nomination if it hadn't died on the vine at the box office).

I don’t know why Maestro is still being considered a lock in the odds at this point? That movie has gotten very little acclaim for the film itself. It’s all about Cooper’s performance and nothing else for the recognition. Feel like there’s plenty of other dark horse contenders waiting to swoop into the 10th spot. 

I also continue to be shocked  AtSV keeps getting brought up as a dark horse BP shot while completely leaving Heron out of the conversation. I would absolutely bet money on Heron coming in above AtSV in the BP rankings, regardless of if it can actually get the nomination.

Think it’s way higher in the mix than odds would have you believe, and I don’t think its chances are significantly worse than Maestro, TCP, or May December among the ones likely competing for the last spot. If BP were a 15 cat for example, I’d call it a lock. 

I do think we have 9 locks at this point, being Barbie, Opp, Killers, Holdovers, Poor Things American Fiction, Anatomy of a Fall, Past Lives, and The Zone of Interest. With maybe the last having a very small chance to get snubbed, but I doubt it. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t know why Maestro is still being considered a lock in the odds at this point? That movie has gotten very little acclaim for the film itself. It’s all about Cooper’s performance and nothing else for the recognition. Feel like there’s plenty of other dark horse contenders waiting to swoop into the 10th spot. 

I also continue to be shocked  AtSV keeps getting brought up as a dark horse BP shot while completely leaving Heron out of the conversation. I would absolutely bet money on Heron coming in above AtSV in the BP rankings, regardless of if it can actually get the nomination.

Think it’s way higher in the mix than odds would have you believe, and I don’t think its chances are significantly worse than Maestro, TCP, or May December among the ones likely competing for the last spot. If BP were a 15 cat for example, I’d call it a lock. 

I do think we have 9 locks at this point, being Barbie, Opp, Killers, Holdovers, Poor Things American Fiction, Anatomy of a Fall, Past Lives, and The Zone of Interest. With maybe the last having a very small chance to get snubbed, but I doubt it. 

Since 2018 Netflix has gotten at least one movie in Picture every year, and Maestro is really their only shot at this point with the industry support not being there for May December and Nyad/Rustin being acting plays at best. And it checks off all the boxes for a filler nomination given it was touted as a contender ever since the first stills were released. It may end up going home empty-handed, but one shouldn't discount it for a nomination considering all of the above.