charlie Jatinder

Weekdays (03-05 Jan, 2023) Thread. | Talk about the New York Giants in here!

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Sorry to derail, but was just curious now, and the top 7 grossers released during holiday ‘09 adjust to just shy of $2b at the DOM box office. Imagine something like that in the modern era. Insane. 

The late 90s to late 2000s were the peak of moviegoing and in that sense, box office as well. With how things went in these last 3 years, im (sadly) sure that we will never see these amounts of people going to the movies ever again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

The late 90s to late 2000s were the peak of moviegoing and in that sense, box office as well. With how things went in these last 3 years, im (sadly) sure that we will never see these amounts of people going to the movies ever again.

I’d say there’s definitely a correlation with that 09 holiday season being one of the last ones before HD TVs and huge home entertainment centers really started to become the “norm” in the country. 

Also, making that holiday even more nuts is the fact that none of those really had 3D/PLF inflation either with the major exception of A1 of course. I knew I remembered that holiday as my favorite stretch of BO I’ve ever followed, and now I remember why. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I had forgotten about The Blind Side, It’s Complicated, and Up in the Air also making dents at the box office at the time… man what a box office era. Would kill for another holiday season with that much movie going across so many films. 

To me, 2009 is one of the most, if not the most fun year for box office. Apart from AVATAR ($749.77 M) that year also gave us the following:

️TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN ($402.11 M), the only Transformers to make $400 M+

️HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE ($301.96 M) the first Potter movie to make $300 M+ since the first installment

️THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON ($296.62)

️The trio of UP ($293.00 M), THE HANGOVER ($277.32 M), and STAR TREK ($257.73 M) in early summer

️THE BLIND SIDE ($255.96 M)

️The duo of ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS: THE SQUEAKQUEL ($219.61 M) and SHERLOCK HOLMES ($209.03 M) as counterprogrammers to Avatar

We also got:

️THE PROPOSAL ($163.96 M)

️PAUL BLART: MALL COP ($146.34 M)

TAKEN ($145.00 M)

️DISTRICT 9 ($115.65 M)

️IT'S COMPLICATED ($112.74 M)

️PARANORMAL ACTIVITY ($107.92 M)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

'Avatar' Offers Disney a Simple Lesson About Film Franchises - Variety

‘AVATAR’ OFFERS DISNEY A SIMPLE LESSON ABOUT FILM FRANCHISES

It’s difficult to take issue with the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe considering these films helped make Disney the de facto leader at the box office.

But now that “Avatar: The Way of Water” is showing incredible durability in theaters as it moves toward its third week since release, it raises a pretty basic question about optimal franchise maintenance.

While most of the MCU’s output require having watched previous films to fully grasp the narrative of the latest installment, “Avatar” producers made a point to ensure “Water” and future sequels contain standalone narratives. That lowers the barrier to entry for viewers unfamiliar with the 2009 film. Though many of the first title’s cast returns, knowing who they are isn’t a requirement to appreciate their newest adventure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

To me, 2009 is one of the most, if not the most fun year for box office. Apart from AVATAR ($749.77 M) that year also gave us the following:

️TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN ($402.11 M), the only Transformers to make $400 M+

️HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE ($301.96 M) the first Potter movie to make $300 M+ since the first installment

️The trio of UP ($293.00 M), THE HANGOVER ($277.32 M), and STAR TREK ($257.73 M) in early summer

️The duo of ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS: THE SQUEAKQUEL ($219.61 M) and SHERLOCK HOLMES ($209.03 M) as counterprogrammers to Avatar

We also got:

TAKEN ($145.00 M)

️DISTRICT 9 ($115.65 M)

The Hangover, Up, Star Trek, The Proposal, Taken, New Moon, and PA were also legendary box office runs in their own right. 

I am hoping we can get back to some semblance of a “healthy” box office overall this summer. It’s honestly the most week for week packed schedule I think I’ve ever seen in a summer, and if it doesn’t really revive the BO beyond just the 1-2 huge movies we’ve been getting, then I don’t know what will. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Hangover, Up, Star Trek, The Proposal, Taken, New Moon, and PA were also legendary box office runs in their own right. 

I am hoping we can get back to some semblance of a “healthy” box office overall this summer. It’s honestly the most week for week packed schedule I think I’ve ever seen in a summer, and if it doesn’t really revive the BO beyond just the 1-2 huge movies we’ve been getting, then I don’t know what will. 

I agree. I also hope Oct - Dec are strong months as well.

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Sorry to derail, but was just curious now, and the top 7 grossers released during holiday ‘09 adjust to just shy of $2b at the DOM box office. Imagine something like that in the modern era. Insane. 

That was one of the most difficult holiday periods I ever had to endure, worse than than even TFA and Endgame (which was probably worse for the Th-Sun but then you got to breathe a bit during the day weekdays)

Everyone of course remembers Avatar, but it only accounted for like 30% of the top 10 gross (making so much on the back end). The whole slate was packed, truly something - if not multiple - for everyone. Still the second highest grossing TFri-Thu week of all time (barely behind TFA Xmas week), and in 2009 ATP

28 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

We also got:

TAKEN ($145.00 M)

️DISTRICT 9 ($115.65 M)

Think a lot of that was the national mood being down following the financial crash, and at that time movies were a pretty cheap option for entertainment & escapism. Not a single drama on that list

Do think we are and will continue to see some of that post-pandemic, but with higher price point and streaming options the audience ceiling is much lower. But also why I keep saying that films that are fun/entertaining and worthy of being on the big screen are the best path for success

• Like 2

Yeah 2009 was special where even in the winter period it felt like every week there was something breaking out and then legging it out post-recession capped off with a strong summer and crazy holiday period.

• Like 1