charlie Jatinder

Weekdays (03-05 Jan, 2023) Thread. | Talk about the New York Giants in here!

https://thefederalist.com/2023/01/02/avatar-the-way-of-water-is-pro-family-in-all-the-best-ways/

someone linked that article from what im pretty sure is a right-wing website which tells their readers to watch avatar 2

@IronJimbo Is that what you were waiting for?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

Last Sat was deflated due to NYE. Would have have 25-26M if it was just a regular Saturday. 

Yeah I do know that but in 2017 only 'Why Him' increased week to week in the Top 10. The next best hold was Moana with -12%, which being a kiddie pic had strong Sat bumps. But happy to be wrong though!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 3RIC said:

...excuse me?

No excuses. :D

For me superstar is the upper echelon of stardom, like Tom Cruise. I don't consider him being in the same league. But maybe that's a regional thing, me being from Europe.

1 minute ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Yeah I do know that but in 2017 only 'Why Him' increased week to week in the Top 10. The next best hold was Moana with -12%, which being a kiddie pic had strong Sat bumps. But happy to be wrong though!

One thing to consider is that in 2017, the NFL playoffs began this calendar week, so the two Saturday games likely pulled away some potential audience, and the ceiling is probably higher this year (with Sunday likely having a bigger hit/drop off, more like last year)

Dec & early Jan are so … messy for historical comps

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Elessar said:

No excuses. :D

For me superstar is the upper echelon of stardom, like Tom Cruise. I don't consider him being in the same league. But maybe that's a regional thing, me being from Europe.

It’s not by accident that the year belonged to two superstars, Tom Cruise and James Cameron, instead of run of the mill franchise fare.

Edited by Xavier

3 hours ago, Tokugennumataka said:

NWH had gigantic late legs partially boosted by Canada reopening. It held on strong through Feb and March. Avatwo's legs after it loses PLFs and 3D remains to be seen (Keep in mind that even the original Avatar had unremarkable holds after it lost 3D to Alice in Wonderland). Using a single data point to compare it to NWH is faulty. Let the post holiday legs brew and manifest before drawing any meaningful assumptions imo.

Didn't you just do this with RO?

57 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

https://thefederalist.com/2023/01/02/avatar-the-way-of-water-is-pro-family-in-all-the-best-ways/

someone linked that article from what im pretty sure is a right-wing website which tells their readers to watch avatar 2

@IronJimbo Is that what you were waiting for?

I'm cringing at potentially ceding "pro-family" to the extreme RW.

Why can't we just say that Cameron finds a way to touch fundamental human values for a wide variety of people. Including internationally!

Edit:

I'll add that, speaking as a father, that article is one of the better ones I've ever seen from The Federalist & a good article in its own right.

Edited by LinksterAC

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

It's evident by now that A2 is developing crazy legs. TG2 is going down. I wouldn't be surprised by something very close to 800M for A2

I don't know if I agree it's evident, but I definitely agree it's possible.

This movie is hard to find a comparator for.

It’s not quite the same, but this is conjuring  a little of the magic of the holiday 2009 releases at the box office with A2 starting to feel an awful lot like A1 and PiB being a little bit of a parallel to Alvin 2’s great run (except Alvin was much bigger at the box office and a much worse film sadly). No Sherlock equivalent, but still kind of cool there’s a little of the magic of that holiday, which remains the most exciting one I’ve ever followed at the BO. 

Edited by MovieMan89

I had forgotten about The Blind Side, It’s Complicated, and Up in the Air also making dents at the box office at the time… man what a box office era. Would kill for another holiday season with that much movie going across so many films. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dragoncaine said:

$10-10.25m would still be so good, but I got used to thinking this would beat I2's record lol. Still, even if it doesn't, to even come close to the record on a non-holiday Tuesday is pretty great 

Plus consider the runtime. I was honestly expecting something around $8M because I just couldn't see how you squeeze enough viable shows into a regular weekday with a 190M runtime.