CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Again, domestically at least (I don't really follow WW #s), they don't, only that reduced audience pool is being masked by the large increase in ticket prices, making grosses from pre- and post-pandemic periods mostly comparable.  But in terms of admissions, still way down from pre-pandemic levels

Wait, this is confusing me.

Were TGM ticket prices inflated compared to 2019? What about NWH v FFH?

When I look at the AOI list on the-numbers it doesn’t seem like ticket price inflation has been a big factor since as far back as 2015 (Rogue One gets a very minor bump from then to now).

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Well if thats was being supportive then i'd hate to see the reaction if i make a prediction that people REALLY dont agree with!.

But yes, thankyou for that sentiment. My prediction was based on a full China gross, so it may still not get there but thankfully it still became a juggernaut like some of us believed from the start.

I would imagine the opening weekend thread would be interesting to look back at right now

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

When I look at the AOI list on the-numbers it doesn’t seem like ticket price inflation has been a big factor since as far back as 2015 (Rogue One gets a very minor bump from then to now).

think they rely on NATO prices for that list, and those havent been updated since 2019 (they know why theyre doing it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

That list is extremely out of date. ATP in 2022 is about 18-20% higher than in 2019. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I would imagine the opening weekend thread would be interesting to look back at right now

Yep for sure.

AND me and you bet our acccounts on 2bil WW being locked, right after the OW.

Too many Sky people on this forum!.

avatar-avatar-the-last-airbender.gif

Honestly, this was a pretty solid weekend all around. With estimates, the top 10 (excluding M3G) legged out to 6.40x Thursday, well above the ~5.5x of 2017. Even if you remove Avatwo (6.40x), its still 6.06x for the rest of the field.

Hopefully its a sign of some decent numbers to come (as good as they can be given the release schedule) and not just a last hurrah to the holidays before a slump

A1 first post-holiday Tuesday to Sunday gross: $70m

A2 first post-holiday Tuesday to Sunday gross: $70m

And that’s assuming A2 doesn’t go up for actuals like I’m sure it will. Holy shit. 

Just for the hell of it, if it continued to pace with A1 for the rest of its run, A2 would finish around $835m 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Honestly I can definitely see OW deflation in the Top 20 Domestic being a thing going forwards. High openers like MCU films are struggling to hit high numbers outside of OW due to franchise fatigue, while films like TGM, A2, and even to an extent NWH only managed to crack the top 10 off the backs of good WOM and legs. In addition, the theatrical environment nowadays seems to be favoring a few muted but well-received blockbusters to leg it out throughout their frames. Overall, I predict (or at least I hope) to see more 4x+ multi blockbusters crack the top 10 this decade.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

That...is actually quite the stat, especially considering we are in the streaming era

Not to mention, several very leggy horror flicks

But do think they are connected, going back to the audience behavior shift, in that we're more in a more patient/selective period, where is less of a GA rush for OW, more of a wait and see, where WOM can really influence long term potential

If you make a good movie, people will come, and will a weaker release schedule there isn't as much cannibalization down the line.

6 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER (overseas weekends)

$300.5M / 1st weekend

$176.6M / 2nd weekend

$185.5M / 3rd weekend

$132.6M / 4th weekend

Mindblowing :o