keysersoze123

Weekdays Thread (1/9-12)

11 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

This is such a dumb stat though, cmon. Using a nominal cutoff+no accounting for seasonality can get you fun mathematically true statements but not very meaningful ones

What’s your statement come from?

You need to found a same movie open with 100m+ and opened in Dec and have a better mult than Avatar 2 to aruge with me

• Knock It Off 1

31 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Even it’s end up with 650m it’s still comes from just 130m Opening,Almost 5 x mult

A 100m OW movie going to 5 X mult is the 2nd best leggy run in DOM history behind only Maverick

So what’s the doomer post based on?

They’re saying like Avatar 2 is failed

Like you said earlier this week, we can just look at what people here were projecting after Avatar's OW, that alone tells us its legs have been phenomenal and way beyond most expectations. It just had the 2nd-best 4th weekend of all-time. No worries about the doomsayers, in the long run they only make the Avatar franchise seem even more impressive than it is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, danziger said:

Like you said earlier this week, we can just look at what people here were projecting after Avatar's OW, that alone tells us its legs have been phenomenal and way beyond most expectations. It just had the 2nd-best 4th weekend of all-time. No worries about the doomsayers, in the long run they only make the Avatar franchise seem even more impressive than it is.

As a matter of fact Avatar 2’s leg in DOM is all-time epic level

If anyone don’t agree with this,just think about most people even confused if this one can cross 500m DOM after OW came out,about 2 weeks ago people still argue if Avatar 2 can beating Rogue One’s total gross,and now we going to beyond 650m even 700m

And Avatar mult is 2nd best in DOM history among 100m opener

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

22 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

This is such a dumb stat though, cmon. Using a nominal cutoff+no accounting for seasonality can get you fun mathematically true statements but not very meaningful ones

then why is avatar2 still (going to be) the second leggiest blockbuster with an over 100m opening if that math means nothing? do we have other major December releases that are as leggy as avatar2? what happen to  the same calendar configuration Rougue One?

29 minutes ago, Bruce said:

What’s your statement come from?

You need to found a same movie open with 100m+ and opened in Dec and have a better mult than Avatar 2 to aruge with me

No, I don’t. I am pointing out exactly that this is a dumb way to look at it. Xmas movies generally have good multiples for extremely obvious reasons. The exceptions are mega fan events like SW and MCU which still benefit from xmas to have much better legs than with a normal date, but would have had such bad legs on a normal date from frontloaded hype demand that even with xmas the total/ow is still fairly restrained.   

AWOW has the good fortune to be the only December movie outside of SW/MCU to open “above 100M” in dec, which drives this particular silly stat. But the “above 100M” line is completely meaningless as a cutoff since it’s heavily affected by inflation. There are lots of movies that would have opened over 100M on this date and legged over 5, but avatar happens to be the first because of inflation+not getting a lot of December’s per year+recent tendency to put the fan monsters here rather than more midrange blockbusters.

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 3

Just now, Legion in Boots said:

No, I don’t. I am pointing out exactly that this is a dumb way to look at it. Xmas movies generally have good multiples for extremely obvious reasons. The exceptions are mega fan events like SW and MCU which still benefit from xmas to have much better legs than with a normal date, but would have had such bad legs on a normal date from frontloaded hype demand that even with xmas the total/ow is still fairly restrained.   

AWOW has the good fortune to be the only December movie outside of SW/MCU to open “above 100M” in dec, which drives this particular silly stat. But the “above 100M” line is completely meaningless as a cutoff since it’s heavily affected by inflation. There are lots of movies that would have opened over 100M on this date and legged over 5, but avatar happens to be the first because of inflation+not getting a lot of December’s per year+recent tendency to put the fan monsters here rather than more midrange blockbusters.

you seem overly passionate about the a2 5x legs thing, if we're going to psychoanalyze could it be you dislike the avatar franchise? maybe i'm reading too much into it

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

you seem overly passionate about the a2 5x legs thing, if we're going to psychoanalyze could it be you dislike the avatar franchise? maybe i'm reading too much into it

So you don't have anything to bring to the conversation except, "Oh you must be a hater?"

Legion isn't wrong though.  Would you be as confident of the legs if it were released in March or October?  It's pretty simple that the holidays greatly boost the numbers and by extension, the legs. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 2

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Only “overly passionate” about people saying things that don’t check out when you really think about the numbers. I would point out (and have done) the same thing if someone was using numbers in a dubious way to try to make a movie or franchise that I love look great. For instance saying something like “Wow Far from Home had over 4.2 legs, one of the best legs ever for a 90M+ opener outside xmas”

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 3

12 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

So you don't have anything to bring to the conversation except, "Oh you must be a hater?"

Legion isn't wrong though.  Would you be as confident of the legs if it were released in March or October?  It's pretty simple that the holidays greatly boost the numbers and by extension, the legs. 

Sure. It's still going to gross around $200m from its third Monday and on, which is pretty good for any movie. Unless it would have opened a lot bigger it would most likely have reached a 4x multi matterless of when released.

Edited by Dale Cooper
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I wasn't talking about the validity of legion posts, it's calling people dumb and being extremely condesending, that's the what makes me think hater.

Though Deep Wang I fully expected you to miss that point with your grasp on BO post dynamics...

5 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

I feel like understanding this intuitively is a good check for whether someone really grasps BO dynamics or not but I guess I shouldn’t say much more on that 😆

Edited by IronJimbo