Shawn Robbins

MLK Weekend Thread (1/13-16) | 3-day/4-day Estimates: Avatar 32.4M/40.6M, M3GAN 18.26M/21.72M, Puss 14.39M/19.04M, Otto 12.8M/15.33M, Plane 10M/12.03M, House Party 4M/4.73M

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honestly I'm just impressed that Plane is sitting at 74% on RT considering it looked like the ultimate January thriller dump. 

Oh, it's back at 74%? It actually went rotten before it hit the 60s again.

Getting the spidey sense this is going to be a "just short" weekend

• Avatwo just below $30M/Titanic
  • Plane under $10M
  • Puss just below last weekend (which would still be fantastic btw)

Otto is the one bright spot here, curious to see how far above $10M it can go: 12? 13?

Seems like Plane is gonna come crashing down this weekend. And to be fair, this Thursday Preview number is already a bad take-off. Some movies - even of this type - fly past the 1M Preview number, but this one doesnt seem to have enough fuel for that.

In hindsight, it was plainly obvious that even good reviews wont safe this movie from landing in reality land. Action movies that seem like they could have come out in the same year as Con Air just have a very niche audience nowadays. The producers might have had a lot of hope, but the truth is that they probably had their heads up in the clouds concering the financial safety protocol for this movie.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

https://deadline.com/2023/01/box-office-plane-gerard-butler-the-avatar-way-of-water-m3gan-1235221135/

On a winter Thursday still ruled by James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water, Sony’s Tom Hanks drama A Man Called Otto and Lionsgate’s Gerard Butler action pic, Plane, sought to get an early start with respectively $635K and $625K each.

Here’s the thing, technically, Otto is the richer: If you count the Marc Forster directed title’s Thursday cash of $420K from 637 theaters, the pic made $1.06M yesterday. However, Sony will count the preview night cash from 2,493 theaters (which had showtimes start at 2PM yesterday) toward Otto’s Friday. Otto expands to 3,800 locations. Pic’s running total sans previews through two weeks is $6.2M.

44 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

y'know we don't need to do these eulogies for theaters for every flop. sometimes it's just a Gerard Butler movie called Plane that's about a plane.

His movies do well on streaming though.

Greenland was very popular on streaming.

I remember the film flopped in theaters but made a lot of money after theaters. 

Thing about Butler is his films can be very basic but he is fun to watch in a film.

Edited by Torontofan

29 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That is gonna be dead too.

Its already got $6M in limited release, could have a Death on the Nile wide opening and run ($13/$45), which puts $50M in play. Given how adult focused films performed in last year and a half, that should absolutely be viewed as a win

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

His movies do well on streaming though.

Greenland was very popular on streaming.

I remember the film flopped in theaters but made a lot of money after theaters. 

Thing about Butler is his films can be very basic but he is fun to watch in a film.

Greenland literally never played in American theaters at all. Pandemic and all that.

37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honestly I'm just impressed that Plane is sitting at 74% on RT considering it looked like the ultimate January thriller dump. 

Maybe this is the kind of film that appeals to an 80's kid like me, but anything that has Die Hard DNA just gets my money with no trouble at all.  I think this looks terrific and I can't wait to see it!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

Its already got $6M in limited release, could have a Death on the Nile wide opening and run ($13/$45), which puts $50M in play. Given how adult focused films performed in last year and a half, that should absolutely be viewed as a win

Otto cost 60M. Doing 50M is FLOP.