Shawn Robbins

MLK Weekend Thread (1/13-16) | 3-day/4-day Estimates: Avatar 32.4M/40.6M, M3GAN 18.26M/21.72M, Puss 14.39M/19.04M, Otto 12.8M/15.33M, Plane 10M/12.03M, House Party 4M/4.73M

43 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I dont think those numbers are dissapointing, in fact i bet Disney are over the moon. Cameron couldnt stop smiling at the Golden Globes when interviewers kept going on about the film passing 2bil.

I'm just saying either the cinema going climate has changed because of the pandemic, or it hasnt. We cant have it both ways depending on what film we are talking about.

Nothing disappointing about Avatar’s numbers at all. Anytime in this environment a film can get to $600 plus million domestic and over $2 billion worldwide is impressive. Had Cameron not made those comments about break-even before the film’s release, I don’t think anyone could objectively look at the numbers and say it’s anything other than a massive success. 

34 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Yeah I hate seeing people diminishing Avatar 2s run by comparing it with the runs of other films from 10 years ago and saying "adjusted for inflation it's massively underperforming". The world doesn't work like that. Sure over a long period of time, the prices of things will generally increase by ~5% a year, but on a micro scale things are very different, and a global pandemic is obviously going to have an enormous effect and buck the trend.

Agreed. If that’s the criteria then every modern film would underperform. TFA wouldn’t crack the top 10 and Endgame wouldn’t crack the top 15. Not a good standard to use when the era being compared aren’t apples to apples. 

26 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As an off topic observation.

GOOD FUCKING GOD, ARE THE NINERS SCARY. :o

Been held in check for most of the day. Defense was under performing to a degree.  Just fucking exploded in the last 20 minutes or so.  Some of it was grinding the other side continuously until they started making mistakes, but part of it was sheer explosiveness.

I still ain't entirely sold on Brock Purdy so I can't put them at the Bills or Chiefs level.  Hell, I'm even uncertain about putting them at the level of the Eagles, presuming Hurts is fully healed by the time they match up (which might not be gaurenteed).

BUT HOLY FUCKING SMOKES, ARE THE NINERS SCARY!!!

This might just be their year even with Purdy at the helm.

Yeah, I don’t see either the Vikings or the winner of the Cowboys/Bucs game doing much of anything against the 49ers. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, Trevor Lawrence did not show up to play this game...one player completely killing his team right now...

YEah, this game, unlike the first one, has turned into a snooze fest real fast.

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, Trevor Lawrence did not show up to play this game...one player completely killing his team right now...

17 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Mr Irrelevant playing amazing while the #1 overall pick stinks up the joint 

Marvel Balance GIF

*two three TDs by Lawerence later*

77it69.jpg

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

A2 13.75
M 7.3

O 4.9

P 3.8

96,4% (!!) jump for Avatar.
50,5% for Megan
22,5% for Otto
96,6% for Puss (based on the 5,9M number)
7,34% for Plane

Edited by Brainbug

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

A2 13.75
M 7.3

O 4.9

P 3.8

if A2 performed like this everyday 800m wouldn't even be a question

Edit: I will gladly eat my words for everytime I ever doubted Avatar would pull through on Saturday lol (still don't think this changes the overall outlook though)

Edited by Cheddar Please

5 minutes ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

Weekend something like....

M3GAN = 17.7

Puss = 13.5

Otto = 12.5
Plane = 10.5 

Based on your numbers:

Avatar would still be a good hold, but not an amazing one like last weekend.

Megan i wish would be higher but any horror movie that drops under 50% in its 2nd weekend (even if its a holiday weekend) is very nice to see.

Puss in Boots would be phenomenal. Its OW was 12,4M. To have its 4th weekend outgross its OW - yeah, more doesnt need to be said. I hope its run continues in this fashion.

Otto still not bad and Plane - its not a catastrophe, but just goes to show that this kind of action movie doesnt seem to connect with audiences anymore (and for quite some years at that).

Edited by Brainbug