filmlover

95th Academy Awards nominations thread

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

eric's just being annoying like he does sometimes. pinocchio is basically a lock.

Puss In Boots for the upset, cause it was better than all of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

I don't agree with this take, but not really the point; all I'm saying is I'd just like the film to win because the voters actually preferred it rather than "I guess I'll vote for the Disney flick" or "I'll vote the one my kid liked" because they don't even respect the animation art form enough to bother watching the films.

Wish that were the case too I should add.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

but when was the last time the two highest grossing movies of the year both got in for best picture? doubt it'll help their ratings much but you can't say they didn't try this time.

Both movies A2 and TG2 will go home empty handed (maybe vfx for A2)

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

but when was the last time the two highest grossing movies of the year both got in for best picture? doubt it'll help their ratings much but you can't say they didn't try this time.

The closest I can think is when Toy Story 3 and Inception both got nominated, but Inception was only the fourth highest grossing film of 2010. 

1. Banshees

2. All Quiet

3. Everything Everywhere

4. Top Gun

5. Fabelmans

6. Avatar

Tar and Triangle of Sadness are still on my list, not really interested in the other two. Good year for movies. Didn't see his movie but it's cool Brian Tyree Henry got nominated.

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

The closest I can think is when Toy Story 3 and Inception both got nominated, but Inception was only the fourth highest grossing film of 2010. 

A lot of the BP noms in 2010 hit 100m if I remember right. Can't imagine a King's Speech or Black Swan making that kind of bank now.

• Like 1

Andrea Riseborough actually getting nominated purely because she got her friends to pump her up online is hilarious, the people who’ve been actively campaigning must be kicking themselves.

Really pleased for all of the EEAAO noms (especially Stephanie Hsu getting some well deserved recognition), I’m hoping for a sweep. 

I also love the idea of all of the crusty old Academy members being forced to watch the storm sequence in Triangle of Sadness.

• Like 1

As for my top I'd say :

1/ Everything Everywhere All at Once ✭✭✭✭✭

2/ Avatar: The Way of Water ✭✭✭✭✩

3/ Triangle of Sadness ✭✭✭✭✩

4/ Top Gun Maverick ✭✭✭✭✩

5/ All Quiet on the Western Front ✭✭½✩✩

6/ The Banshees of Inisherin ✭✭½✩✩

7/ Elvis ✭✭✩✩✩

The Fabelmans and Tar release tomorrow in France. Women Talking march 8.

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

In terms of Best Picture, are Banshees and EEAAO the most likely ones to win? 

Was in the TGM train for the longest time, but I'm going all in on Everything Everywhere now. That was the film that got the most applause throughout the entire nomination livestream. Pretty sure it even got into some categories nobody expected it to. It's going for the gold IMO. Probably going to sweep all the above the line categories apart from Supporting Actress.