BadOlCatSylvester

February 3rd to 5th, 2023 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Cabin 14.2, Brady 12.5, Avatar 10.8, Puss 7.95, BTS 6.3

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Multiple chains are taking part in "matinee all day" pricing with 80 For Brady, so, senior matinee prices, a huge reduction in ATP.

Didn't one of those previews also have $8 tickets? So that might be why the numbers are lower than they seemed based on sales.

They must have seen the huge Tuesday jump for Otto and realised just how sensitive older crowd to discount. 

• Like 1

80 for Brady's target audience has been gone for years at this point, so I'm not too surprised to see it flounder.

Knock at the Cabin's number is admittedly disappointing. I actually got out of it half an hour ago and really enjoyed it, so it's a shame it isn't doing much better than Old. It does add to @M37's recent hypothesis about post-pandemic audiences moving away from films with heavier subject matter. And it's not a normal horror movie, so that demographic won't help it.

At least Avatar 2 and Puss 2 won't be hurt by these newcomers, so that's a plus.

• Like 2

Take the business however you can get it, but what a collection of niche releases in the top 10 for Thursday/this weekend

Outside of the two previews, it was a very interesting Thursday for titles in regular release, meaning 20th/Disney/Lightstorm’s Avatar: The Way of Water didn’t top the day. Instead it was Fathom’s Chosen Season 3 Finale at 1,940 theaters which led the day with $1.67M.

Avatar 2 was second with $1M, -6% from Wednesday, bringing its seventh week to $20.7M, and running total to $625.6M. Now the tenth highest grossing movie stateside of all-time, Avatar 2‘s next notch is 9th placeholder Jurassic World which counts $653.4M. The James Cameron sequel looks to make around $10M in weekend 8.

In third, it’s Trafalgar’s concert movie BTS: Yet to Come with a second day Thursday gross of $730K, -66% from its opening day Wednesday of $2.1M and running total of $2.8M.

Sony’s A Man Called Otto saw $589K Thursday, a fifth week of $9.5M and running total of $48.8M.

Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s Puss in Boots: Last Wish posted $570K yesterday, a sixth week of $13.1M and running total of $143.3M.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/box-office-knock-at-the-cabin-80-for-brady-1235248828/

7 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Not even chosen going to save the weekend smh

Both down 30% from last Thursday per Deadline write-up

I do think the weekend will kick up a bit for everything, but ceiling is definitely lower than it looked even just a day ago

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Should try these all day discounted tickets will all adult dramas, people aren't gonna pay the same for fabelmans or banshees as they would for any big blockbuster

Dynamic pricing is coming IMO, its just a question of when and how, because studios will resist even if it's in their best interest long term, to keep people in the habit of going to the movies, even at a reduced return for current titles

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Multiple chains are taking part in "matinee all day" pricing with 80 For Brady, so, senior matinee prices, a huge reduction in ATP.

Didn't one of those previews also have $8 tickets? So that might be why the numbers are lower than they seemed based on sales.

Really hope this becomes a trend. It'll be very annoying for tracking a movie, but tiered pricing where small movies cost smaller tickets is a legit great incentive to get people to watch more than just the big-budget toy commercials and it's baffling theaters and studios haven't done that to get people interested apart from Tuesday discount days. People love a good, cheap deal!

11 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Knock at the Cabin's number is admittedly disappointing. I actually got out of it half an hour ago and really enjoyed it, so it's a shame it isn't doing much better than Old. It does add to @M37's recent hypothesis about post-pandemic audiences moving away from films with heavier subject matter. And it's not a normal horror movie, so that demographic won't help it.

Aren't all horror movies heavy in their subject matter? The concept is about monsters or demons or serial killers trying to kill other people. How more depressing can you get than that? And even if you want to argue something like M3GAN is more comedic, both Black Phone and Smile were a lot more dramatic and serious and scary and they both did just fine. I don't think it being a sad horror movie is the problem here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

Both down 30% from last Thursday per Deadline write-up

I do think the weekend will kick up a bit for everything, but ceiling is definitely lower than it looked even just a day ago

I like the holdover th tbh. Those verticals are with BTS/chosen/Brady/Knick competition baked in, and sun will be way better. Thinking -30 turns into ~-22 Ava -17 puss

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Should try these all day discounted tickets will all adult dramas, people aren't gonna pay the same for fabelmans or banshees as they would for any big blockbuster

Feb 11 is Global movie day. This by right , would be a good time to launch a heavy discount price for movie ticket like what we had in last September but so far I heard nothing much about how this so called "movie day" can push or cultivate moviegoing habit. 

3 minutes ago, Eric Crowe said:

Aren't all horror movies heavy in their subject matter? The concept is about monsters or demons or serial killers trying to kill other people. How more depressing can you get than that? And even if you want to argue something like M3GAN is more comedic, both Black Phone and Smile were a lot more dramatic and serious and scary and they both did just fine. I don't think it being a sad horror movie is the problem here.

The apocalyptic scenario + a small child being part of the mix is what makes Knock at the Cabin heavier than the others IMO.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

child was the main character of The Black Phone and the villain was a child predator 

This. I know the kid in Black Phone was a little older, but child abduction is also a scary and sad thing. I don't think a horror movie having a scary, sad thing in it is the issue.

Honestly I think the main thing that made me hesitant on the film breaking out was that the premise wasn't as attention-grabbing. Split and Old had very basic, easy to sum up premises ("It's a guy with a bunch of personalities!" "It's a beach that turns you old!"). "It's a group of people harassing some people in a cabin and asking them to kill a loved one to stop the apocalypse" isn't as exciting a hook and I feel like there weren't all too many money shots in the trailers and ads to compensate. And while I loved Glass and Old, you could argue the polarizing reception of those films also probably dinged a lot of interest in the film. Either way, this is still looking to do at least on par with Old, so I think the movie's still doing fine.

• Like 1