GOGODanca

2/10 - 2/12 weekend thread

12 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

What a huge shame the Titanic remaster isn't performing better. It's a fantastic remaster and a fantastic movie overall. But it is 25 years old, and it's not connected to an ongoing/soon-to-be-relaunched property, so I do get why it's going under the Avatar remaster.

I feel the bigger problem is lack of showtimes and PLFs. Using my local Regal, the Avatar re-release had the red carpet treatment, it was playing 3-4 times a day in all the PLF formats and in a super dead weekend. Titanic's only got the 4DX shows (Avatar still has IMAX, Magic Mike has RPX, BTS has ScreenX), and then the regular 3D version. Not as much money. And while it's on a dead weekend, it's also a weekend where it will sink like a stone on Sunday. I would have probably gone to see Titanic with no hesitation this weekend, but I've got plans all weekend due to the Super Bowl (GO BIRDS). So honestly, this still doing about 65% of Avatar's re-release isn't really all that bad.

• Like 2

Does Missing have a shot at beating Knock at the Cabin in domestic gross? The former is holding on pretty well, and Cabin is heading for a big drop this weekend. It'll probably be about a $3-4M difference between the two by the time Antman drops, and, I don't know if Cabin will have enough to catch it.

28 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

why is titanic being marketed as a 2 week run when ant-man is taking all the 3d screens next week?

AMWQ won’t be taking them all, getting 1 3D screen per theater plus some PLF shows in 3D. Avatwo and Titanic will be sharing the 1-3 remaining 3D screens at each location 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Does Missing have a shot at beating Knock at the Cabin in domestic gross? The former is holding on pretty well, and Cabin is heading for a big drop this weekend. It'll probably be about a $3-4M difference between the two by the time Antman drops, and, I don't know if Cabin will have enough to catch it.

I feel like Missing will lose too many theaters. Cabin probably wins by a million or two, but it will barely scrape past 30.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

So everything did bad this weekend

Pretty much. Just seems like with Super Bowl and pre-Valentines weekend, people are busy doing other things, movies taking a backseat. Reminds me of the pre-Halloween weekend 

Which also means holds next weekend should be fairly good though, even with AMWQ taking up a lot of oxygen. It’s the kick-off week to the Spring season

Edited by M37

9 minutes ago, M37 said:

Pretty much. Just seems like with Super Bowl and pre-Valentines weekend, people are busy doing other things, movies taking a backseat. Reminds me of the pre-Halloween weekend 

Which also means holds next weekend should be fairly good though, even with AMWQ taking up a lot of oxygen. It’s the kick-off week to the Spring season

It's so annoying to me that the NFL are now playing games later and have an extra week of February all to themselves. Back in my day, the second weekend of February was a great spot where you had minimal competition, could capitalize on Valentine's Day, and then earned a President's Day boost the following weekend. But now with the Super Bowl awkwardly jammed into the second weekend, you're now forced to either have your movie come out the first weekend of February and have an epic second weekend drop, or drop your movie on Super Bowl weekend, get dinged due to no Sunday attendance, and just hope you still get a decent amount of screens with the big President's Day opener taking over the following week. It's so frustrating and damages the flow and potential over what was starting to become a dynamite month for the box office.

(Yes I know this is first world problems lol)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Magic Eric said:

It's so annoying to me that the NFL are now playing games later and have an extra week of February all to themselves. Back in my day, the second weekend of February was a great spot where you had minimal competition, could capitalize on Valentine's Day, and then earned a President's Day boost the following weekend. But now with the Super Bowl awkwardly jammed into the second weekend, you're now forced to either have your movie come out the first weekend of February and have an epic second weekend drop, or drop your movie on Super Bowl weekend, get dinged due to no Sunday attendance, and just hope you still get a decent amount of screens with the big President's Day opener taking over the following week. It's so frustrating and damages the flow and potential over what was starting to become a dynamite month for the box office.

(Yes I know this is first world problems lol)

Just wait until 2027, when by current schedule configuration, Super Bowl would fall on Sun Feb 14th - aka Valentine’s Day - before Monday President’s Day 2/15

I suspect that confluence won’t happen and SB will wind up on 2/07 that year 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Verrows said:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2012W06/?ref_=bo_we_nav

Same weekend in 2012. Look at that. Feels like that'll never happen again.

the Phantom Menace re release opened with 22m?? 

also 2017 was pretty good as well

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2017W06/?ref_=bo_rl_table_1

Knock at the Cabin is going to struggle to hit $30M at this rate. Nothing to really say other than "well, I guess that's that."

Magic Mike will post a healthy PTA for the weekend at least, even if it follows in the franchise's footsteps of being insanely frontloaded. If not for the fact it carries such an unusually large budget for such a typically cheap series (most likely due to its original streaming plans), it likely would've been profitable again even if its total is probably going to struggle to match the $27.9M five-day opening of XXL over 4th of July Weekend 2015. 

Edited by filmlover