GOGODanca

2/10 - 2/12 weekend thread

Congrats to James Cameron for joining an elite group of directors with two films in the Top 10 weekend chart at once:

Steven Spielberg (1982: E.T., RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. 2011: THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN, WAR HORSE)

James Cameron (2023: AVATAR 2, TITANIC)

Anyone I'm forgetting?

Edited by CaptNathanBrittles
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

With decent grosses from the re-releases of Avatar 1 (back in September) & potentially Titanic (this February), what next old blockbuster movie from the past, do you wish would get a special re-release in theaters?

True Lies

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

16 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

With decent grosses from the re-releases of Avatar 1 (back in September) & potentially Titanic (this February), what next old blockbuster movie from the past, do you wish would get a special re-release in theaters?

Top Gun

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

On 2/12/2023 at 1:20 AM, titanic2187 said:

This is a very busy weekend for me. I have to watch Titanic on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Not to boost box office but more like to ensure fellows in my social circle who never seen the movie, will see the movie now, especially those born after 2000s. 

Just how many times you have seen this movie in total? 

32 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

People dont talk enough about The Lion King's 2011 re-release doing 30M opening weekend and staying at #1 the following week with only a 27% drop. 

1 - The Lion King
2011 3D Release
$30,151,614 - 2,330 - $12,940 $30,151,614 1

That was during the height of the (Avatar inspired) 3D/nostalgia fad. The following year, Titanic, Beauty & Beast, Finding Nemo and Phantom Menace all had $40M+ 3D re-releases 

2/10 6,884,000 646,919,732 -39.27%
Titanic Rerelease
2/14 2,200,000 649,119,732 -28.57% Valentine's Day
2/17 4,500,000 653,619,732 -34.63%
Ant-Man OW + President's Day Wknd
2/21 2,000,000 655,619,732 -9.09% President's Day
2/24 2,500,000 658,119,732 -44.44%  
2/28 850,000 658,969,732 -57.50%  
TOTAL 11,100,000 670,069,732    

This last weekend for Avatar, while still strong given the circumstances, was nonetheless weaker than I expected. At this rate, passing Infinity War is looking more and more difficult without a potential expansion. However, given Titanic's weaker-than-expected rerelease, passing that film is still firmly on the table. Ultimately I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 films are only a few million apart in the 670m range by the start of summer.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Independence Day

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

I think the way the interface is, there's really not that much to deter people away from the good seats. I think the people sitting in the mid tier seats are probably inclined to sit there anyways ( I always see people choosing the corners and wings in half empty theatres for the space).

I think despite all the online complaints, most people aren't thinking too much about $2. Especially once you've already committed to buying a ticket. You then may as well make the experience as enjoyable as possible.

I also think most of those seats were presold before the price change or are subscriber purchased seats - both groups which would be 100% unaffected from the Ant Man price increase that came way into presales...

It will be more interesting to see how new showings posted Tuesday sell those seats...

46 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

We’re in the prime period for mid to late-90s nostalgia, so the biggies:

Jurassic Park 

Twister 

Independence Day 

Could see some draw for not quite as high grossing but certainly mainstay “cult classics” like 

Apollo 13

Con Air

Crimson Tide 

Face/Off

Con Air

Speed 

Of course, some of these have had sequels which diminish the call back to a stand-alone film. Most comedies of that era haven’t aged well, but Mrs Doubtfire with the gone-too-soon Robin Williams might be the exception 

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I also think most of those seats were presold before the price change or are subscriber purchased seats - both groups which would be 100% unaffected from the Ant Man price increase that came way into presales...

It will be more interesting to see how new showings posted Tuesday sell those seats...

I specifically checked Saturday showtimes, as it has less advance purchases. I checked shows that were playing within the hour or so as well.

But, it is a key point. The best data will be from showings that had no tickets sold under the old model.