Borobudur

Valentine Weekdays

4 hours ago, Dale Cooper said:

Feeling the Titanic love here is a bit excessive. It's great (the best film to gross more than ROTK), but far from Cameron's best.

But why does it have to be the best James Cameron film in order to be universally loved? James Cameron has made some of the best films ever made imo....I have Titanic as his third best film behind aliens and Terminator 2. And yet it's a film that I probably seen 50 times. I only gone Blu-ray and anytime comes out to theater I'll drop my 20 bucks down to go see it. I absolutely love this film.

• Like 5

I would say Jack and Rose is the most famous couple that ever created by the arts, probably only behind Romeo & Juliet. HP, LOTR, Marvel, Twilight or DC they use multiple movies or reboot to sustain that cultural relevancy but Titanic achieved that iconic status with just one movie and a song. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I would say Jack and Rose is the most famous couple that ever created by the arts, probably only behind Romeo & Juliet. HP, LOTR, Marvel, Twilight or DC they use multiple movies or reboot to sustain that cultural relevancy but Titanic achieved that iconic status with just one movie and a song. 

I can’t say any single movie is more famous than Titanic

Star Wars only known for West,Avengers failed in Japan and some part of Europea,Black Panther only for Black People,LOTR not well-known for GenZ,Titanic is popular everywhere and all nation

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

Star Wars only known for West,Avengers failed in Japan and some part of Europea,Black Panther only for Black People,LOTR not well-known for GenZ,Titanic is popular everywhere and all nation

My mom isn't an English speaker and we live in a rural area far away from the city and foreign product but she saw Titanic. She fell in love with the story although she doesn't understand a single word in the movie. My heart will go on is the only English song she listen when I was a kid. She can't sing it but she can hum the melody. 

That is the power of Titanic. You can't walk into a countryside of India or Indonesia and expect a working class adult to care or even understand LOTR, HP or Marvel but Titanic did that effortlessly because of just how general and transcending the story was.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

My mom isn't an English speaker and we live in a rural area far away from the city and foreign product but she saw Titanic. She fell in love with the story although she doesn't understand a single word in the movie. My heart will go on is the only English song she listen when I was a kid. She can't sing it but she can hum the melody. 

That is the power of Titanic. You can't walk into a countryside of India or Indonesia and expect a working class adult to care or even understand LOTR, HP or Marvel but Titanic did that effortlessly because of just how general and transcending the story was.  

Yes for sure Titanic is the timeless movie…we never saw this again in the movie history consider the influence of movie dying down recent years

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sophia Jane said:

Even the Taliban were no match for the power of Jack and Rose. The movie was huge in Afghanistan despite not being released there (as the cinemas were closed in 1996), and this was a time before high speed internet or even DVDs in that market.

How James Cameron’s Titanic became an under-the-surface sensation in Taliban-ruled Afghanistan (The Star, Dec 16 2022)

Due to the Taliban restrictions on pictures, music and movies, Afghans had to be careful how they showed their appreciation for the film. Like so many other cultural trends during the first Taliban rule, “Titanic” became a sensation that was both ubiquitous and hidden just enough to evade the watchful eyes of the Islamic Emirate, who punished anyone not in compliance with their strict interpretation of Islam.

“In the market, there would be pictures of the film, toy boats started to appear everywhere, even gum packets had pictures of it,” but only if you knew who to ask, says Haris.

Pirated copies were widely rented and purchased. The Jack Dawson haircut became popular among young men there and the rulers did not like it:

Taliban Bans Titanic Tops (CBS News, Jan 26 2001):

Afghanistan's Taliban rulers have jailed 22 barbers for giving men Leonardo DiCaprio-style haircuts deemed offensive to Islam because the long bangs interfere with the ability to bow and say prayers.

The hairstyle, referred to among young men in Kabul as the Titanic, mimics that of DiCaprio in the blockbuster movie.

More Titanic fever in Afghanistan, circa 2002.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

28 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Even the Taliban were no match for the power of Jack and Rose. The movie was huge in Afghanistan despite not being released there (as the cinemas were closed in 1996), and this was a time before high speed internet or even DVDs in that market.

How James Cameron’s Titanic became an under-the-surface sensation in Taliban-ruled Afghanistan (The Star, Dec 16 2022)

Pirated copies were widely rented and purchased. The Jack Dawson haircut became popular among young men there and the rulers did not like it:

Taliban Bans Titanic Tops (CBS News, Jan 26 2001):

More Titanic fever in Afghanistan, circa 2002.

How many beautiful stories about this movie, in general and in individual ways, this is something so special when mankind we have a common interest, it´s such a powerful force.

For me, is the only movie i watched 4 times in theatres, first 2 were in Madrid, my city, the third was in Lisbon, almost 9 months after release, i was visiting the city for the expo 98, but my hidden goal was to see again Titanic in original version, cause in Spain was not anymore possible. 
My 4th was in 2012, with the 3d release, and i loved the same 15 years after.  For me the scene when Rose goes up in the boat and she looks to the eyes of Jack, thinking " he said me he´ll take the next boat, but probably there is no boat for him" and moments after going back to the ship, it´s so extremely emotional, even if i´ve seen dozens of times.

Besides, with Titanic really began my passion for box office, with the run of the runs, i used to go evey week to a shop where they sold Variety magazin but people could have a look for free, cause it was like a mall where magazines were little forgotten and the price for me to buy was too high.
Wherever where i was on sundays (the day they receive Variety) i stopped everything and i was to the shop to see the weekly numbers of Titanic, was also my particular love stoy with data and this movie, really far away from today, where we have all the data daily from all over the world almost.

So for me Titanic is and always will be a really special story.

Happy to read some folks here share same emotions for this movie and this run so many years after.

Thanks for sharing, today is a good day to read this thread.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

43 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

即使是塔利班也敌不过杰克和罗斯的力量。这部电影虽然没有在那里上映(因为电影院于 1996 年关闭),但在阿富汗还是很受欢迎,而且那是那个市场还没有高速互联网甚至 DVD 的时代。

詹姆斯·卡梅隆 (James Cameron ) 的泰坦尼克号 (Titanic)如何在塔利班统治的阿富汗引起地下轰动The Star,2022 年 12 月 16 日)

盗版被广泛租借和购买。杰克道森的发型在那里的年轻人中很流行,统治者不喜欢它:

塔利班禁止泰坦尼克号上衣(哥伦比亚广播公司新闻,2001 年 1 月 26 日):

大约在 2002 年,阿富汗发生了 更多的泰坦尼克号热潮。

In North Korea:

https://whyy.org/articles/on-radio-times-smuggling-the-titanic-in-north-korea/

in india:

https://www.theweek.in/theweek/specials/2022/07/01/titanic-at-25-why-indians-are-still-in-love-with-the-classic.html

in China:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-CJB-15687

https://www.zhihu.com/question/285517434

in the mountains of Himalaya:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/i-burst-into-tears-kate-winslet-recalls-india-visit-says-man-from-himalayas-recognised-her-as-rose-from-titanic/articleshow/75405714.cms

in Russia:

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/04/26/movies/why-titanic-conquered-the-world-moscow.html

in  Iran:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1998/10/27/barbie-titanic-show-good-side-of-great-satan/d60b6c83-730f-440c-918e-1a9d89e0fc34/

in japan:

https://web-japan.org/trends98/honbun/ntj980617.html

• Heart 2

Titanic is far from my favorite film, though I do think it’s fantastic. 

That said, I don’t think there’s any denying that it’s, to this point, the zenith of its medium globally. Comes close to equaling Star Wars in the West, but blows it away everywhere else. 

10 minutes ago, setna said:

How do you do it for having so many interesting informations???
Do you have time for other things in life? i guess no, amazing!!

Well,because I am a college student,and my family is little rich,so maybe I have more free time than most of worker and adult I thought

PS:I am still on vacation until 20 Feb,haha

Edited by Sophia Jane

10 hours ago, Dale Cooper said:

Feeling the Titanic love here is a bit excessive. It's great (the best film to gross more than ROTK), but far from Cameron's best.

Titanic, in terms of its performance and phenomenon relative to its time, is the movie that every other film wishes it could. It is also a perfect example of why films should be seen in the cinema. I’ve probably seen it 100 times, but there is still something powerful and unique about seeing it in theaters. It is the absolute zenith of what cinema can and should be…

• Like 1