filmlover

The Holdovers | 10/27/23 limited, 11/10 wide | Focus | Alexander Payne

The Holdovers, which premiered at Telluride, scored a 91% total positive sentiment and a 81% definite recommend with audiences, Focus said (versus norms of 70% and 55%, respectively), a nice set up for an expansion nationally next week to about 60 theaters across top 20 markets. 

Actual limited OW goes up to $211k or 35k PTA. It comes below Tar (near 40k), dragged by tepid Saturday. But as expected, the audience reception is far better since the movie is a feel good crowd-pleaser.  

Seeing this later this evening. 778 theaters for its wide release but will likely perform better than something in a similar vein of dramedy like You Hurt My Feelings since it sounds like a crowd pleaser/is far and away better reviewed. 

I saw this last weekend and loved it. Looking back at Payne's track record, it feels like this definitely could have followed the "quiet run where it makes way more money than you realized" trajectory of About Schmidt, Sideways, and The Descendants in a box office era more receptive to something small and adult-oriented.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flip said:

The 91% audience score on RT is very encouraging. If it had a very wide release and wasn’t going digital I could see 40m, but in this scenario crossing 30m would be nice 

I see lower at over 20m, not by much. There is no sign that the type of BO longevity run for platform release is coming back this year. Digital release kills that longevity run we saw with GB or three billboard or Manchester by the sea. They will just drop like normal blockbuster.  

Will also sing this movie's praises. It's hilarious, yet also brutal and hard-hitting. A fantastic ensemble of lost souls who are all trying to find comfort in their struggles from the past and finding comfort with each other despite having nothing in common. It's good stuff all around.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2023 at 4:45 PM, Eric George said:

Will also sing this movie's praises. It's hilarious, yet also brutal and hard-hitting. A fantastic ensemble of lost souls who are all trying to find comfort in their struggles from the past and finding comfort with each other despite having nothing in common. It's good stuff all around.

Ugh, I wanna see it.