kayumanggi

Weekend Thread (02.24 - 02.26) | Actuals: 31.96M QUANTUMANIA | 23.26M COCAINE BEAR | 15.80M JESUS REVOLUTION

18 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Ant-Man 2 had 62% drop which is standard for July.

Even accounting for the holiday think it would have done mid to high 90s on a normal weekend and that would still be 66-67ish drop which is still big for this period of the year.

Standard second weekend drops for mcu use to be in the 55-60% drop range pre COVID

Even endgame didn't drop that big coming off a massive ow.

that’s fair. 
I just think had it not been a holiday weekend then it would have opened a little less and then still probably done about what it’s doing this weekend. The percentage drop would have been a little better and this hysteria likely wouldn’t have been so ‘MCU is failing’. I don’t know, just spitballing.  Let’s see how it does next weekend. 

It’s not good. That there’s no doubt. But I don’t think it’s as unprecedented as some are making out at all. 

• Like 2

If Cocaine Bear does stay above $20M, which it seems comfortably on pace to do, it would mean that we should be at the start of a pretty lengthy run of solid new openers every weekend.

Starting from Antman, and going to at least Super Mario, every weekend should have a new release making at least $20M. Eight weekends in a row with something new and decent. The weekend after is Renfield, which has potential.

It lacks a lot of the oversized hits until Mario, but we'll get enough of those over the summer. But, this has been what I've wanted to see for a while, where there isn't huge gaps in the calendar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I think you’re right. I’m just saying as a like for like comparison to how the last Ant-Man did, this isn’t that far off. 
I know the last one has summer weekdays too, which is a fair point. But the holiday weekend factor and likely earlier previews can’t just be straight up ignored. 

Yeah. This isn’t good by any stretch, but it’s not exactly shocking either. With 3PM previews and B on a fan property sequel this is about how it’s gonna roll. L&T could have tried for 70s with a holiday OW.

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, vafrow said:

If Cocaine Bear does stay above $20M, which it seems comfortably on pace to do, it would mean that we should be at the start of a pretty lengthy run of solid new openers every weekend.

Starting from Antman, and going to at least Super Mario, every weekend should have a new release making at least $20M. Eight weekends in a row with something new and decent. The weekend after is Renfield, which has potential.

It lacks a lot of the oversized hits until Mario, but we'll get enough of those over the summer. But, this has been what I've wanted to see for a while, where there isn't huge gaps in the calendar.

I think THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE can keep the box office exciting until GOTG III opens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

We're likely going to see $30M+ openers for almost six weeks straight. Maybe seven weeks of $20M+ openers, since Dungeons & Dragons and Renfield could be close either way.

• Astonished 1

28 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

I guess puss and ava are dropping from the top 5 next weekend but curious to see how long they can hang top 10.

The battle to see what hangs around over the next few weeks will be fun.

Things that underperform will lose screens quickly to make room for new releases.

• Like 1

First estimates up on Numbers 

Brady $1.83M (-53%)
Titanic $543K (-77%, but includes a +9% Sun(?), so almost certainly lower, like $500K)

1 minute ago, Sophia Jane said:

Early numbers suggest $13.95-14.45M second Sat for Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Up 71% from Fri. Down 59% from Opening Sat.

The source for that Reddit post is this very thread (and the numbers are outdated)