GOGODanca

3/3 - 3/5 Weekend Thread | Creed III gets the biggest franchise opening and MGM opening ever with 58.7M. #AintMan drops 61% for 12.5M. Jonathan Majors still getting paid fat stacks

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

He needs another franchise ASAP.

I'm guessing he'll be in the running for the black Superman movie.

Depending on how Creed 3 ends there will most definitely be a Creed 4.

Wasn't the I Am Legend sequel announced with him in the lead?

I thought he was announced for the Superman film, but I don't think that film sees the light of day. I know Gunn said it's part of their future, but two new Superman movies seems like a risk that they'd rather not take.

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I think the black Superman movie was always pretty much nailed on for him - but I have a hard time seeing that movie actually happening within the next five years. They're clearly OK with multiple Batman projects at the same time, but I have a feeling they view Batman as the more resilient property, as it's already been through the "killed it, buried it, dug out the corpse, raped it, then set it alight, then resurrected it with black magic" treatment a few times. Think with Superman they're a bit more reluctant to have more than one for starters (hence no Cavill even in parallel universes stuff). And if they don't get that movie properly into production in the near future, I can't see anyone attached to it staying interested and it will all just fall apart. But maybe they'll surprise me...

That Black Superman movie always felt like a hastily put together response to the unprecedented success of Black Panther. With its main champion Walter Hamada gone I'll be shocked if that movie ever gets made.

Also, make no mistake: the only reason why multiple Batmen are allowed to exist at the same time is because of a big auteur like Matt Reeves being in charge of one of them. Warner and Gunn no doubt want to keep him in their good graces so they'll let him do his thing while they get a more family friendly Batman off the ground for the mainline. If it was anyone other than Reeves that Batman sequel would've been killed almost instantly, much like Wonder Woman 3.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester

6 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

That Black Superman movie always felt like a hastily put together response to the unprecedented success of Black Panther. With its main champion Walter Hamada gone I'll be shocked if that movie ever gets made.

Also, make no mistake: the only reason why multiple Batmen are allowed to exist at the same time is because of a big auteur like Matt Reeves being in charge of one of them. Warner and Gunn no doubt want to keep him in their good graces so they'll let him do his thing while they get a more family friendly Batman off the ground for the mainline. If it was anyone other than Reeves that Batman sequel would've been killed almost instantly, much like Wonder Woman 3.

It probably doesn't hurt that The Batman made almost 800 million while being a 3 hour long noir with little action (for this type of movie). It's enough of a back-up in case their new take doesn't do what they're hoping it does. And I do think they're convinced Batman is more easily reinvented/refreshed than Superman - they can probably go the Batman Beyond route for their next reboot.

Tbh I'm excited for a few of the DCU projects, but the studio still clearly has no proper committed plan - the first sign of it going tits up (and with half the projects being for low-level characters, that's likely), they'll throw the whole thing out again. But even then I don't think we'll see the black Superman film being fast-tracked.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elessar said:

:facepalm:

I don't think having Damian in is indicative of it being a return to the glory days of Batman and Robin. I fully expect a PG-13 version of Big Daddy and Hit Girl. Perhaps the "family friendly" aspect will be the movie being a far bigger action vehicle, while the Battinson flicks stay in the ponderous, atmospheric, noir setting.

Something like The Dark Knight can still work for "families" - i.e. younger teens - better than The Batman, due to the pacing. Family-friendly isn't necessarily "kiddie".

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Tbh I'm reserving judgement on DnD . Trailers were pretty fun . Don't know feel uncharted vibes from this.

If it's good n fun can see 30mish opening n 110ish-120ish Dom,  375-400m+ .

If it's as good as the trailers and other signs suggest, it would be a real shame if this bombs.

It's the type of risk you want a studio to make. Find an IP, but invest in it and put good quality filmmakers on the project.

Really surprised how creed is doing. Even in os markets it seeing good increase from it's predecessors.

2023 has started so well and mid budget films are getting the best headliners so far

Holdovers like avatar and pib have been holding spectacular.

Getting 2017 vibes from this .let's see how the rest of the year goes esp summer.

Will we get a tgm like performance this year ? Probably not.

But can see alot of mini tgm like performances this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

Wasn't the I Am Legend sequel announced with him in the lead?

I thought he was announced for the Superman film, but I don't think that film sees the light of day. I know Gunn said it's part of their future, but two new Superman movies seems like a risk that they'd rather not take.

I think Smith is lead and MBJ is co-lead/supporting.

Edited by JustLurking

5 hours ago, cookie said:

In fairness, people were doubting Transformers before it blew up. Paramount/Hasbro are/were hoping for a similar effect here, perhaps.

I guess but to be fair, there was a previous Hollywood attempt at a Dungeons & Dragons movie that wasn't just a bomb, but an ugly bomb (even against a budget 1/3 of this movie) that barely made a miserable-in-2000-and-2023-alike $15M total.

Unbelievable! MGM estimates a $21.4M Saturday:

This weekend Amazon Studios had their first fire-breathing, block-busting wide theatrical release in MGM/UAR’s Creed III which opened to a franchise record of $58.6M after two knock-’em, sock-em days of a $22M Friday and $21.4M Saturday, -3%. That’s also the highest opening for any sports movie in motion picture history.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/box-office-creed-iii-michael-b-jordan-2-1235277748/

Creed III managing >10x despite EA shows to inflate preview number is impressive 

On 3/3/2023 at 4:59 AM, M37 said:

While we have a well reviewed movie with high Quorum interest, do think the OW is benefiting from an underserved audience effect, both in micro (demographically) and macro, in the lack of releases over the past 3.5 months. While there have been some breakout hits in Jan and Feb, they have been mostly niche content: meanwhile Avatar, Puss, BPWF and M3G account for nearly 60% of the gross during those 3 months. AMWQ was positioned to benefit, but reviews were bad, turning off a fair number of people, leaving more of an appetite for what comes next

Do still believe the “starved market” is part of the success, right place right time, but yet another signal that audiences are willing to come out and buy tickets if the right content is available