GOGODanca

3/3 - 3/5 Weekend Thread | Creed III gets the biggest franchise opening and MGM opening ever with 58.7M. #AintMan drops 61% for 12.5M. Jonathan Majors still getting paid fat stacks

23 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Majors and his team should use the acclaim for his performance as Kang as leverage for higher pay in the Avengers movies and any other appearances he makes in the MCU. 

His Marvel contract likely already had multiple appearances built in. They've softened a little to my understanding, but after RDJ was able to command so much for each appearance, Marvel learned to lock down actors up front.

But, Disney recognizes that Majors star power is rising, especially as Searchlight just bought the distribution rights to Magazine Dreams, and will likely be campaigning Majors for the best actor Oscar next year.

Totally off topic, but … My daughter decided to put on Strange Magic. I’ve never seen it, but apparently she and her sister discovered it on D+, watched it, and liked it enough to now watch it again 

This is … so, so awful (and also like a Moulin Rouge of animation with modern songs covers mixed in)

hate it GIF

• Heart 1
  • Haha 6

26 minutes ago, M37 said:

Totally off topic, but … My daughter decided to put on Strange Magic. I’ve never seen it, but apparently she and her sister discovered it on D+, watched it, and liked it enough to now watch it again 

This is … so, so awful (and also like a Moulin Rouge of animation with modern songs covers mixed in)

hate it GIF

The only thing I liked outside of the art style was the cover of Straight On, but...yeah it's not really rewatchable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DAJK said:

Shame about Operation Fortune, really. I thought it looked like a lot of fun, and it's great to see Ritchie reteaming with Hugh Grant after Gentlemen, and with Hartnett/Statham after Wrath of Man. Didn't release in Canada so I didn't get the chance to see it (yet) but I'm really hoping I enjoy it. Looks a lot better than his upcoming film, at least.

I'll probably see The Covenant just for Jake G and this weird "action star" era of his career he's in right now but we need to talk about "Guy Ritchie's The Covenant" being the movie's actual title across all the marketing materials. Is he being egotistical here or were they worried that the makers of a schlocky gender-flipped The Craft rip-off from the mid-2000s (only notable now for having some future names like Sebastian Stan and Taylor Kitsch in early roles) were going to Lee Daniels' The Butler them? 

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, M37 said:

hate it GIF

My best friend and I watched it for our Bad Movie Night sessions and we both were so checked out by how awful it was, our brains turned into mush after the 4th or 5th song. And that’s like 25 minutes into the movie. Just a train wreck in every sense of the word

• Like 1

Creed III should go up a bit from estimates. Assuming saturday stays where the estimates are I can see it finish around 15.5-15.75 range. 

Even #Aintman 3 should go up a bit with estimates. Question is can it avoid 60% drop like it avoided 70% last weekend. Should be close for sure :-)

• Like 5

Yeah Operation Fortune is a bummer. Wrath of Man did pretty well 2 years back, and this looks way more fun and flashy. I wonder if the whole release debacle from last year hadn't happened, and it was just slated for this year, would it have done as well as Wrath of Man?

Couldn't think why not. Still don't really understand what happened with the distribution. Got a bullshit release. I was surprised when it came out internationally last month or whatever. I thought it was just still collecting dust on the shelf. It's also absolutely hilarious that the one market it's getting released on streaming at is the UK where it would without a doubt make at least $10m

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 1

Just now, Pinacolada said:

Yeah Operation Fortune is a bummer. Wrath of Man did pretty well 2 years back, and this looks way more fun and flashy. I wonder if the whole release debacle from last year hadn't happened, and it was just slated for this year, would it have done as well as Wrath of Man?

Couldn't think why not. Still don't really understand what happened with the distribution. Got a bullshit release. I was surprised when it came out internationally last month or whatever. I thought it was just still collecting dust on the shelf. It's also absolutely hilarious that the one market it's getting released on streaming at is the UK where it would without a doubt makes at least $10m

It was originally going to be released by STX before they shut their doors, The Covenant was also originally theirs before being sold off. Most curious as to who ends up getting the Michael Mann/Adam Driver Ferrari movie among their remaining leftovers. 

• Like 1

This was very likely a rushed, last-minute deal. Deadline reported a while back that STX (or Miramax?) was shopping the movie around to streamers. Apparently none of them bought it, either because they didn't like it enough or they weren't willing to pay whatever the asking price was.

Lionsgate is probably not losing much on this. I would bet they were paid a distribution fee and an agreement was made to get it out in theaters ASAP due to the movie already coming out overseas (and likely hitting VOD/streaming over there soon, as it will here). Presumably, any marketing costs on LG's part were either miniscule based on the clearly subdued campaign or covered entirely by the fee.

Edited by datpepper

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I guess it's time CBMs are going down. Last time it was a brief moment in the mid-2010s, but MCU up its game in Phase 3. Seems a bit too late this time.

Eh, looks like 2022-2026 or so will be a weak period. Will need to see saga 3 and new DCU fail before declaring CBMs really down rather than just ebb and flow

• Like 3

I think New World Order is gonna tell a lot about the future because it’s been designed as an Avengers 2.0 film like CW and it looks like they will go really big with that one putting in the mix two huge characters with great potential.

2 hours ago, datpepper said:

This was very likely a rushed, last-minute deal. Deadline reported a while back that STX (or Miramax?) was shopping the movie around to streamers

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

It was originally going to be released by STX before they shut their doors

There were shows for this movie in my city around Jan-Feb here in India for some reason , i dont think it was released anywhere else that early..