filmlover

The 95th Academy Awards official live feed thread | EEAAO and All Quiet win most of the awards. A24 reigns supreme and Asian Excellence is high

I am just curious how will A24 capitalize on EEAAO win here at the Box Office. The movie is still doing insane number for a movie that debut a year ago. The movie added $3.8m since nomination, EEAAO has the biggest Oscar bump ever for a Oscar best picture nominees that debut pre-Fall season since 2000. 

Gladiator (May 2000) : +260k

Erin Brockovich (March 2000) : +0

Moulin Rouge! (May 2001): +211k

Crash (May 2005): +0

Little Miss Sunshine (July 2006): +237k

Up (Jun 2009): +0
The Hurt Locker (June 2009): +1m

Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire (June 2009) : +2.2m 
Inglourious Basterds (Aug 2009): +0

Toy Story 3 (June 2010): +0

Inception (July 2010): +0

The Help (Aug 2011): +97k

Beasts of the Southern Wild (June 2012): +1.3m

The Grand Budapest Hotel (March 2014): +207k

Boyhood (July 2014): +942k

Mad Max: Fury Road (May 2015): +421k

Dunkirk (July 2017): +1.67m
Get Out (Feb 2017): +353k

Black Panther (Feb 2018): +0

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (July 2019): +1.2m

It is crazy to see EEAAO, a spring best picture contender, managed to pull another $3.8m after Oscar nomination announcement in cinema in this streaming + short theatrical window era, when it is already impossible feat in pre-Covid era.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

You wouldn't put money on All Quiet winning best international when it is the only one of the bunch up for BP? :P

I'm not sure GDT Pinocchio is that likely to win - it has momentum but oscars doesn't really care about the cat.

A fair point - I probably should have added it, too. I didn't quite put All Quiet winning Best International Film at the same lock status as the three I've listed, because:

1. We don't necessarily have the same precursor dominance (statistics) that we can look to like for the three I've listed - because we don't have the same industry bodies (in the US) that we can look to for other awards.

For example, Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio has swept/dominated the precursors, winning PGA, BAFTA, Critics Choice, Golden Globe and the Annie Awards (5 wins, including Best Feature). I'd be shocked if it doesn't win the Oscar - so I have to disagree that it isn't likely to win.

PGA doesn't have a Best International Film award. At the Golden Globes, Argentina, 1985 won over All Quiet. Critics Choice didn't give it to All Quiet, either. 

2. The category can be a little odd. In order to vote for the Best International Film category, the Academy member must have viewed all five nominated films. This means that the category isn't as straightforward as some other categories. In 2006, Pan's Labyrinth was nominated for 6 Oscars, but lost Best International Film. 

All that said, it dominated at the BAFTAs and did get the Best Picture nom (among many) from the Academy - so it's pretty much a lock, too. Point taken. :)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

A fair point - I probably should have added it, too. I didn't quite put All Quiet winning Best International Film at the same lock status as the three I've listed, because:

1. We don't necessarily have the same precursor dominance (statistics) that we can look to like for the three I've listed - because we don't have the same industry bodies (in the US) that we can look to for other awards.

For example, Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio has swept/dominated the precursors, winning PGA, BAFTA, Critics Choice, Golden Globe and the Annie Awards (5 wins, including Best Feature). I'd be shocked if it doesn't win the Oscar - so I have to disagree that it isn't likely to win.

PGA doesn't have a Best International Film award. At the Golden Globes, Argentina, 1985 won over All Quiet. Critics Choice didn't give it to All Quiet, either. 

2. The category can be a little odd. In order to vote for the Best International Film category, the Academy member must have viewed all five nominated films. This means that the category isn't as straightforward as some other categories. In 2006, Pan's Labyrinth was nominated for 6 Oscars, but lost Best International Film. 

All that said, it dominated at the BAFTAs and did get the Best Picture nom (among many) from the Academy - so it's pretty much a lock, too. Point taken. :)

Peace,

Mike

Oh I think GDT is likely to win. I just don't think it is "that" likely, as in a lock, because the academy doesn't care for the category and has some...sketchy voting attitudes in regards to it, so it may just flip and go turning red anyway.

BANSHEES OF INISHERIN is better than EEAAO in every conceivable aspect (apart from editing) - easily the best acted movie of the year. Farrell's performance is a masterclass of character building and subtlety. And Keoghan and Condon should pick up awards for their hugely affecting supporting performances - their last scene alone together is worthy. If Jamie Lee Curtis wins for her cartoon performance (which isn't even the best supporting actress performance in EEAAO) it would be a travesty and a disgrace to the profession of acting.

Original script? Don't make me laugh it's like a pro vs amateurs. Five minutes in and the situation is already set up vs. endless amount of tedious exposition. And then the beautiful, rhythmic language of BOI.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

BANSHEES OF INISHERIN is better than EEAAO in every conceivable aspect (apart from editing) - easily the best acted movie of the year. Farrell's performance is a masterclass of character building and subtlety. And Keoghan and Condon should pick up awards for their hugely affecting supporting performances - their last scene alone together is worthy. If Jamie Lee Curtis wins for her cartoon performance (which isn't even the best supporting actress performance in EEAAO) it would be a travesty and a disgrace to the profession of acting.

Oh please. There's definitely been worse performances that have won than Jamie Lee in Everything Everywhere would be (if she wins, that is). Of course, if she does win I imagine that win will be side-eyed in many circles in no time (other than as a career achievement award for her) but those kinds of wins happen every now and then.

I still think Condon will take it because of BAFTA and it's probably the only category Banshees might have a shot at taking something home with, plus JLC and Bassett potentially splitting the veteran vote. 

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Oh please. There's definitely been worse performances that have won than Jamie Lee in Everything Everywhere would be (if she wins, that is). Of course, if she does win I imagine that win will be side-eyed in many circles in no time (other than as a career achievement award for her) but those kinds of wins happen every now and then.

I still think Condon will take it because of BAFTA and it's probably the only category Banshees might have a shot at taking something home with, plus JLC and Bassett potentially splitting the veteran vote. 

Obviously I haven't seen every Oscar-winning performance but I'm struggling to think of a worse one from those I have seen.

18 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

easily the best acted movie of the year. Farrell's performance is a masterclass of character building and subtlety.

yeah. its only my 4th favorite of all the BP nominees, but if it was up to me it'd get 3 acting wins

Condon not winning would be annoying, but as long as Yeoh doesn't win I'll be ok

an upset in BP would be nice, but I don't even want to try and get my hopes up

30 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Obviously I haven't seen every Oscar-winning performance but I'm struggling to think of a worse one from those I have seen.

You really liked so much shouting and ridiculously overacting Angela Bassett? As a one-note performance as can be. Should she have won for Tina all those years ago? Maybe, but please not for this.