filmlover

The 95th Academy Awards official live feed thread | EEAAO and All Quiet win most of the awards. A24 reigns supreme and Asian Excellence is high

Predictions:

Best Animated Film - Guillermo del toro Pinocchio

Cinematography - All Quiet on the Western Front

Costume Design - Everything Everywhere All At Once

Best Directing - The Daniels

Film Editing - Everything Everywhere All At Once

International Film - All Quiet on the Western Front

Makeup and Hairstyling - Elvis

Original Score - Babylon

Production Design - Babylon

Sound - All Quiet on The Western Front

Visual Effects - Avatar

Adapted Screenplay - Glass Onion

Original Screenplay - Everything Everywhere All At Once

Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon

Best Actor: Austin Butler

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett

Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once

Edited by thajdikt

So who is winning Best Actor? 

Butler was good in Elvis but didn't have Elvis's good-ole-boy vibe whatsoever. Fraser was very good in what I consider to be a fairly bad movie. Didn't see Farrell in the Irish movie. 

Just now, excel1 said:

Butler was good in Elvis but didn't have Elvis's good-ole-boy vibe whatsoever. Fraser was very good in what I consider to be a fairly bad movie. Didn't see Farrell in the Irish movie. 

It's either Butler or Fraser, and I honestly wouldn't be shocked to hear either name called. On one hand Butler has the edge of being in both a Best Picture nominee and a BAFTA win, but on the other, his loss at SAG (an organization that loves biopics as much as they do veterans) definitely seems like a sign of weakness in terms of being an undeniable frontrunner (plus his general lack of an experienced filmography compared to previous biopic winners). Farrell would've been helped had he won anything other than a Golden Globe this whole season.

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The battle is between Fraser and Butler. What if they split votes and Farrell wins? That's be so great

Butler is quite good in general but yes, the real Elvis's obvious "good ole boy" jolliness is totally missing from Butler's portrayal. I like that the film really pushed the seriousness of a man who was fanatically driven to ensure his parents were never in poverty again, but the lack of joyfulness was pretty noticeable. Butler's vibe was a bit different than the one Elvis always seemingly projected.

Butler feels restrained when Elvis always felt at complete ease with himself. Elvis was conditioned to always be accepted and loved as an adult (plus was always drugged up) and hence smiled and laughed often, came off extremely relaxed. Butler is way too serious here. This is especially noticeable at the VERY end, when after 2 1/2 hours of Butler, we see a few seconds of the actual Elvis, who was frankly much more traditionally handsome than Butler and had a naturally infectious megawatt smile. This felt much more like JP's good but not iconic turn as Johnny Cash than Jamie Foxx's mesmerizing turn as Ray.

TLDR Butler puts in a solid acting performance but it isn't as Elvis Presley. 

Edited by excel1

BTW here's the photos from the rehearsals yesterday:

The Oscars 2023: Snapshots from the Rehearsals | Vanity Fair

Four Weddings and a Funeral reunion for its (near) 30th anniversary! Close was going to present alongside Ford for an Air Force One reunion but I guess now it'll just be Ford alone.

Also it appears Halle Berry will be presenting alongside Jessica Chastain for what one has to assume will be Best Actress. I know that they're trying to have a heartwarming moment with this (Berry, being a barrier-breaking Actress winner, presenting the award to another potential barrier breaker Yeoh) but that just gives me flashbacks to two years ago where they bet the ceremony on Boseman's frontrunner status and it ended up backfiring.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

BTW here's the photos from the rehearsals yesterday:

The Oscars 2023: Snapshots from the Rehearsals | Vanity Fair

Four Weddings and a Funeral reunion for its (near) 30th anniversary! Close was going to present alongside Ford for an Air Force One reunion but I guess now it'll just be Ford alone.

Also it appears Halle Berry will be presenting alongside Jessica Chastain for what one has to assume will be Best Actress. I know that they're trying to have a heartwarming moment with this (Berry, being a barrier-breaking Actress winner, presenting the award to another potential barrier breaker Yeoh) but that just gives me flashbacks to two years ago where they bet the ceremony on Boseman's frontrunner status and it ended up backfiring.

Last year's ceremony was so so bad that they were lucky almost all the discussion was about the slap. Hopefully this year they remember that people are tuning in to see the awards and stars and not random skits.

31 minutes ago, excel1 said:

almost certain Butler wins. don't feel like it's as tight a race as a lot of people are saying it is.

I have Butler winning Actor, if only for the sake of at least one of the acting winners getting it for playing a real person.

Even though the Best Picture result feels inevitable, I'm actually really excited about watching a ceremony where a fair few categories feel like toss-ups.

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon

Best Actor: Austin Butler

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett

It's bold to predict that SAG will only go 1 of 4 with the Oscars. That's only happened twice (in 2001 and 2002). Certainly a possibility, but a rare outcome, one that hasn't happened in 20 years. It seems unlikely to me, especially since SAG was so perfectly timed this year - airing just before the Oscar voting period opened.

Just an observation - not a criticism; the beauty of the Oscars is that anything can happen! :) 

Peace,

Mike

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

Is avatar wining VFX? That is the win I care the most. 

It's as locked as it can be. The film won a record number of awards from the Visual Effects Society, and won BAFTA and Critics' Choice.

The Oscar winners I'd bet money on, I feel extremely confident of their wins:

• Ke Huy Quan for Best Supporting Actor
  • The Way of Water for Best Visual Effects
  • Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio for Best Animated Feature Film

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

It's as locked as it can be. The film won a record number of awards from the Visual Effects Society, and won BAFTA and Critics' Choice.

The Oscar winners I'd bet money on, I feel extremely confident of their wins:

• Ke Huy Quan for Best Supporting Actor
  • The Way of Water for Best Visual Effects
  • Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio for Best Animated Feature Film

Peace,

Mike

You wouldn't put money on All Quiet winning best international when it is the only one of the bunch up for BP? :P

I'm not sure GDT Pinocchio is that likely to win - it has momentum but oscars doesn't really care about the cat.

I agree with those saying that actor is not that open - Fraser not having The Whale up for BP kinda kills its chances, imo, the last time someone won Actor without a BP nom was the year oscars expanded BP, 13 years ago.

Edited by JustLurking