Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/10-12 | Weekend Estimates: Scream VI 44.5 (franchise best!), Creed III 27.2, LXV 12.3 #AintManIII 7, Cocaine Bear I 6.2

Gotta love seeing the box office thriving with big or even very good (ala M3GAN or Cocaine Bear) openings. Should continue for the next month or so, with the next potential blind spots being those last two weekends of April.

• Like 3

Not surprised 65 went up, it’s Saturday numbers around me were ridiculous. I saw one sell-out, thought “okay… must be a group rental.” Then the next show sold out too… then the next one.

Scream awesome as one would expect. Good to see this franchise still experiencing growth, although I would say this is the peak. I haven’t seen the film so this might turn out to be wrong, but unless they bring back Campbell or even Lillard for Scream 7, I think it’s going to start to decline from here. Still, a 100-110M run for this is awesome. Champions too did better than it could have :lol:

Shame that Shazam is about to open to 25M and ruin this awesome March streak.

4 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Thrilled it's doing so well. It's a real good time.

The only thing nagging me is how Spyglass will be feeling so vindicated about short-changing Neve.

From a strictly business point of view though, if Neve Campbell was asking what I heard then they were vindicated and right in not signing her. Scream has never been a hugely grossing series. It's always done well but never enough, in my opinion, to pay one person an astronomical amount of money. I want to see Neve back in scream 7 just as much as the next person. But she's not bigger than the franchise. And if she was asking or a large amount of money then I would not have signed her either.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

love this breakdown. Paramount really have got their act together. 

Scream alone is a better business strategy than the hundreds of millions others are putting down on established franchises. 

• Like 5

Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania is a flop and it will likely remain a flop as there is no more home media market to save it. Even Bob Iger seems to realize that killing the home media market might have been a mistake

Edited by John Marston
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I feel like these past few months have been a real slap in the face to those who claimed "movie theaters are dead for everything but spectacles." Obviously some genres still need to show stronger signs of life, but it's wild to think that of the four sequels opening over as many weeks this month, it's looking like the comic book one that'll post the smallest opening (by quite a bit?) of them all.

• Like 5