cookie

Best Animated Feature 2023

9 hours ago, Grebacio said:

This is one of the most competitive years in the category and it's not even August yet

Not sure what you mean... there's still a frontrunner. Spider-Verse 2.

Last year I guess Turning Red was a frontrunner but we still knew Del Toro's Pinocchio was coming up.

• Like 1

Yeah to me this category is looking both pretty obvious and kind of filler-y. You have those getting in based off of brand or creator goodwill (provided Wish isn't pushed back), then you have a filler because they look nice but not stylized and certainly not thoughtful (Mario, Migration)

13 hours ago, cannastop said:

Dunno which way it will go. Either Spider-Verse 2 or The Boy and the Heron.

Wish is more likely than either of them imo. Spider-Verse 2 caught bad press a few months ago, which killed its chances, particularly in the background of the historic dual strikes.

Heron is reportedly not much of a crowdpleaser and one of Miyazaki's less digestible works. And it will not win the vote of people who just ask their kids what they liked the most, but surely will get nominated.

Wish is the generic crowd-pleasing Disney movie. Disney has won 12/15 of the most recent best-animated feature, as the academy is highly biased towards them. This could be a Frozen/TWR redux.

It's not like the academy really cares about this category, given it was partially created as an excuse to not nominate animations for other categories.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

The only way Wish has a chance of winning is if it does big $1B box office. That with Disney logo could be enough.

Heron is not going to win. Even arsty anime film festival fans find it disjointed, inaccessible, and difficult to understand. Academy will never go for it, if they even watch it. Its rated PG-13 too, and this won't be any kids favorite movie.

Spider-Man is Spider-Man. Its critically acclaimed, and domestic loves it. Considering this is a category they don't care about anyway, where they don't even watch the movies, I honestly can't see them passing on easy popularity points. Unless Wish breaks out they will probably vote for Spider-Man cause its Spider-Man.

I'm not sure AMPAS remembers the Spiderverse controversy that much, but I don't think they would go for it over Miyazaki. He has become a highly regarded name in western cinephile circles, reviews are stellar and I don't think they're that concerned about it being "kid-friendly" and "mainstream". Spiderverse also is very much a part 1 narrative, so I see a LOTR scenario where voters don't feel that impassioned about it until the concluding movie. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1