Eric Lasagna

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

Just now, Issac Newton said:

Demon Slayer pull them earlier though with $518.5M WW back in October 2020-August 2021. No.1 on 2020 WW Annual Chart. 

How is demon slayer a kid movies? It is rated R in USA and PG-12 in Japan.

Can people please stop disregard anime or animation as a kid movies? 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

On the same vein, there's no reason for the aggregator to be as mediocre as RT. If you poke around at the site pre-fandango purchase, you'll see them experimenting with a few different objective filters (__ critics circle member, digitial only reviewer, etc.). There was even a "my critics" list for a while. That's all gone replaced by top critic filter or nothing. There's a lot of interesting stuff you could make available under the topline aggregate that RT simply doesn't want to do. 

At least an unweighted critical consensus. 

You don't have to convince me. There's so many ways for that site to be better, and I'm honestly confused as to why no one is motivated to do so.

The challenge is that in the current entertainment landscape, you do need critics to help cut through the volume of stuff available. It's a shame no one has built a better system to manage it.

Let's see how Frozen 3, Zootopia 2, or Toy Story 5 perform before declaring Illumination the de facto king of animation, as it would be unfair to pit the performance of Disney's recent original animated films against sequels or existing mega-franchises such as Mario and the Minions. But even sooner, we can see how Migration (Illumination's next original film) fares versus Elemental and Wish.

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, thedude11 said:

that is simply not true about illumination as a brand. parents 100% know who illumination is and bring their kids to their movies 

I am not sure if this is 100% true.  I know more families who know the Disney or Pixar brand more than Illumination.

I think it will be telling with how well migration does.  Illumination has not come out with an original movie since Sing in 2016.  It has been all sequels and established IPs, whereas Disney and Pixar has only done originals since the start of 2020.

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Let's see how Frozen 3, Zootopia 2, or Toy Story 5 perform before declaring Illumination the de facto king of animation, as it would be unfair to pit the performance of Disney's recent original animated films against sequels or existing mega-franchises such as Mario and the Minions. But even sooner, we can see how Migration (Illumination's next original film) fares versus Elemental and Wish.

Not to mention the terrible effect of streaming on Disney's titles.

Speaking of sequels, why is there no BIG HERO 6 sequel?

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

How is demon slayer a kid movies? It is rated R in USA and PG-12 in Japan.

Can people please stop disregard anime or animation as a kid movies? 

You didn't got my point - It will be doing hundred of millions if Western Countries considered it equal to Minions/Despicable

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Demon Slayer is pretty freaking strong among kids demo in the US actually. The coloring book last year sold like 150k+.

You got my point 

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

There are rotten movies that have had decent legs.

But has there ever been a movie with a cinescore of B+ or below with solid legs.

Cause it's obvious that for critic proof movies a rotten score is meaningless. 

Joker. B+ CinemaScore, 3.58 multiplier

• Like 1

Just now, Issac Newton said:

You didn't got my point - It will be doing hundred of millions if Western Countries considered it equal to Minions/Despicable

You got my point 

I can say that too if Japanese consider Minion as equal to Demon Slayer in Japan. 

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Previous Illumination movies had 80M - 90M budget. This is probably 100M more or less.

around 150 million considering the voice cast probably

• Disbelief 1

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So the were 3 monsters at the box office post pandemic: NWH, TGM, and Avatar 3.

None of them were kids movies until now.

Families seem like the last ones to return to the theater but Mario pulled them back. 

Minions 2 became Illumination's highest grossing movie ever domestically last year and was the 5th highest grossing movie of 2022 WW

• Like 1

Post CoVid-19 Top Animated Film

1. Minions 2 - $940M

2. Demon Slayer Mugen Train - $519M

3. Puss In Boot: The Last Wish - $476M

4. Sing 2 - $406M

5. Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 - $259M

6. Encanto - $257M

7. Suzume's Locking-Up - $252M

8. Bad Guys - $250M

9. One Piece Film Red - $249M

10. Jiang Ziya - $244M

Bold one are Japanese. Italics for Chinese

9 hours ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Let the goats at Dreamworks handle Zelda

If they don’t go the live action route, I will absolutely stan a Dreamworks made Zelda film.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Joker. B+ CinemaScore, 3.58 multiplier

Wolf of Wall Street, Joker, Vanilla Sky and Inception.

So edgy but high quality movies for guys or trippy high quality movies with a twist ending.

Seems like for most other types of movies the cinemascore is a strong indicator.